• B-
    • C+
    • C
    • C-
    • D+
    • D
    • D-
    • F

Now that the movie is out it's time to put a grade to the score!

I just got back from seeing the movie, which is pretty average....

And we're off!

I personally give it an A+...been a long time since I've given one of those. Not since Prisoner of Azkaban I haven't.

Thus far, the JWFAN.net community has rated:

Superman Returns by John Ottman C-

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to give it an A+ but just gave it an A. The music does such a great job of telling a story of its own. I almost don't want to see the film lest it ruin Howard's musical tapestry he so eloquently put forth. This is my favorite score of the year by far. Every track has something worthwhile in it. And the score has an organic build to it. Like a real story, this music unfolds deliberately. Howard disappointed me with KONG but Lady in the Water re-affirms my belief that he's the best hope to take the mantle of Jerry Goldsmith's legacy.

A. Wonderful score, the best I've heard this year by a gigantic margin.

My only real issue: the running together of the final three cues causes problems (especially with the abrupt ending for those of us who'd rather not listen to the Dylan covers). Also, it's a little short (but having seen the movie, I don't think there's too much noteworthy material missing).

A+

I haven't given a score so much adjacent play time since the FotR:CR and that doesn't happen with many scores. Definitely not with any in the last 6 months. It's going to take a real whopper (or maybe the latest weird foreign name) to steal the oscar from this one IMO.

And unlike most recent scores, I'll be buying it the second I can find it at a reasonable price (i.e. £5 or so)

This is a highly impressive year for JNH - he totally wowed me with Kong, the themes and rhythms of which still pop into my head most days.

EDIT: Ok, who rated this F?

I gave it an A. There's a few fantastic rendition of the Blue World theme not on the CD that I loved. Having seen the film, I must say that Howard's score was absolutely perfect.

Ted

is the movie good? the critics are calling it a catastrophe.

It had the potential to be good, but for some odd reason it comes across as very repetitive.

I think the reason is that everything that's going to happen, every plan, is told to us in dialouge.

"Our next plan will be to ________________ as you ______________ I will next ____________"

We then proceed to watch

Their next plan as they __________________ as the other guy _______________ and as he next ____________.

I don't think it's as bad as critics made it out to be. You just need to let go of any preconceived notions about how a story is supposed to be told to you. Still, Shyamalan made some big mistakes. I think Lady was a completely raw story--no polishing, editing, or even critiquing by the studio. Nobody went to Night and said "don't you think you're taking this idea a little too far?"

In some ways it works, in other ways it fails miserably. The main problem is the complete lack of cohesiveness in the myth. There's no logical sequence to how the tale plays out (although in many ways, that's in the spirit of the movie). It's also got a good sense of humor without which the movie would be a complete disaster. I give it a B-.

I made my comments in the "Last Film Watched" thread. Overall, I liked it. With all its shortcomings as a story (despite being about stories) it's a genuine film, which is more that can be said of countless other movies I've seen this summer. Paul Giamatti gave an outstanding performance that really carried the movie. It may have been a disaster without him. But no, it is not as bad as the critics claim.

Ted

My favourite tracks so far are 'Charades' and those following it. Here Newton - Howard's hypnotic mode is in full blossoming.

It lacks the sublime quality of 'The Village', but throws some hollywoodized adventure scoring into a rather nutricious meal. Although the gratitious fanfares of people like the 'Filmtracks' guy speak volumes about the lowered expectations of the common soundtrack connaisseur in general: the heralded second coming this ain't. It's a bit too comfortably rooted in routines already established.

I love the score for Flatliners. JNH used to be cool. Now he's a puff.

A puff?

He's still cool :)

I think critics will always make a movie out to be worse than it actually is - it's their job after all. But I can safely assume from preceding comments that this is probably the worst Shyamalan movie.

He's giving it a D to stir the cup, what he does best,