Taxi Driver score

Vaderbait1

I was at Best Buy the other day and saw they had an import from Germany, a Spiegel version of Taxi Driver. Now, I've seen about half the movie a few years ago, so I didn't remember much of the score. It was 11 bucks, and I debated whether or not to take a risk. There was no composer listed on the case, so ultimately I decided against purchasing it.

Would anyone here recommend this particular score? Or is anyone familiar with that version of it?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Taxi Driver was Bernard Herrmann's last scoring assignment (apparently, he died only a few hours after having finished recording it).

The music is both jazzy - slow, wistful, evocative of the Big Apple and its sleaze - and dark, brooding - in other words, perfect for late-night, dimmed light listening sessions (I happen to like the music quite a bit, and regard the work to be one of Herrmann's very best).

The import Spiegel edition differs from the domestic release (afaik) by its non-playing side, replicating the label and vinyl surface of one of its original LP issues.

hmm

Taxi Driver is one of the greatest movie score ever done, written by Bernard Herrmann as his last score before his death.

You still did the good choice of skipping this one as there is one true recording of the movie, it can easily be found in most CD stores and it's surely not imported. It's on the label Arista and has 18-tracks. It's the common score.

Get the 18-track version, definitely! And if you haven't already, watch the film because (a) it's brilliant (B) you'll appreciate the score a lot more.

You still did the good choice of skipping this one as there is one true recording of the movie, it can easily be found in most CD stores and it's surely not imported.  It's on the label Arista and has 18-tracks.  It's the common score.

And be careful. There's a similar-looking, shorter release. That's the one I have...

Also, Salonen's recording of the suite on his Herrmann compilation is fantastic.

I would recommend you purchase the Taxi Driver dvd instead. One of the best films, ever. And you can hear a lot of the music cues very well within the film.

• 14 years later...

I just received the 1998 Taxi Driver expansion.

The cover is weird.

An OST album track seems to be missing, the third repetition of Taxi Driver theme???

20210120_120904.jpg

20210120_122039.jpg

It's indeed the official expansion. I recently bought it from Amazon, but it was advertised with a different cover. If I remember correctly, there's no booklet, only a leaflet. I returned it because it was damaged in shipping.

The question is not about the cover, but what is the 3:35 Theme from "Taxi Driver" on the B Side of the original LP?

It's maybe an edit of a cue named differently on the score?

There's no 3:35 track on the expansion.

image.png