why is everybodyso angry with lucas/williams concerning aotc

why is everybody so angry or dssappointed in general with aotc and its soundtrack. most of the postings are posted by the so called williams fans yeah right. some of you are acting if williams wrote the score for you instead for the movie...most of the opinions are based on the what you have heard on the cd. that's very interesting....movie music is written initialy for the movie and not for the pleasure of listening to cd's. cd's are by products. arguments concering the fact the lucas killed the music...nonsense....let me remind you that williams is working for luacs and their collaboration goes way back....in fact i think that the leading man in this collabroration is williams not lucas.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not angry. :( I have'nt even seen the film yet.

But i agree with what you said about some moaning as if Williams is their score slave.

If you don't like to read our bitching and moaning about how Lucas chopped up the AOTC score, then just don't read any threads relating to that subject.

Stefancos- who's been bitching about the TPM edits for years, and is looking forward to doing the same with AOTC. :(

It's because we have seen the film.

i have also seen the movie....thats why i am flabergasted by the postings...and i you look at previous star wars sountracks releases on lp and then on cd annd then on the special editions cd's come again...same pattern as what is happening now....you have got to see the big picture and try to understand and recognize what both lucas and williams are achieving here...

It has been done before, but never this bad. It is simply too much, what has happened.

Ugh.....yet another instance of someone who doesn't really know what he's talking about.

Listen. What we're complaining about is the fact that Lucas and his boys edited the hell out of AOTC's score. And what wasn't butchered was REPLACED by music from TPM.

Read that again.

REPLACED.

Not new music. Not a variation on TPM's music written by Williams. IT IS THE MUSIC FROM TPM. Not recycle. Copied and pasted.

Please read up before you complain about complainers.

And we certainly do have the right to complain, dammit. The SW movies are known for their excellent ORIGINAL scores. Sure, they may contain recurring themes. NO ONE is complaining about that. But what happened in AOTC is unprecedented when it comes to SW movies.

I really hope this clears things up.

It has been done before, but never this bad. It is simply too much, what has happened.

explain too much......was it the images of the movie, the story or soundeffects or the music why you're not happy with lucas/williams...1 question did you like 1941?

explain too much......was it the images of the movie, the story or soundeffects or the music why you're not happy with lucas/williams...1 question did you like 1941?

Story and music editing for AOTC. I did not like 1941... well much.

I dont think that guy is trying to stop anyones opinion Ren. :(

He may be saying "we dont know the deal between Lucas and Williams"

And in all honesty, has anyone heard any complaints from Williams yet?

I tend to agree that director and composer do whats right for the picture.

If you're about to rip on 1941, Guest, I don't think you should be entitled to your opinion either ;)

In honor of free speech, and to combat the oh so terrible complaints (how dare you people have opinions!), the 1941 score is great. :(

Well, I hope we can all have our own opinions here. I like to hear what people think is good and bad about JW's stuff whether or not they know all the facts.

Ugh.....yet another instance of someone who doesn't really know what he's talking about.  

Listen. What we're complaining about is the fact that Lucas and his boys edited the hell out of AOTC's score. And what wasn't butchered was REPLACED by music from TPM.  

Read that again.  

REPLACED.

Not new music. Not a variation on TPM's music written by Williams. IT IS THE MUSIC FROM TPM. Not recycle. Copied and pasted.  

Please read up before you complain about complainers.  

And we certainly do have the right to complain, dammit. The SW movies are known for their excellent ORIGINAL scores. Sure, they may contain recurring themes. NO ONE is complaining about that. But what happened in AOTC is unprecedented when it comes to SW movies.  

I really hope this clears things up.

excuse me sir...or should i say dear williams expert...or expert of editing...but in fact i know what i am talking about....then again listen carefully to the special edition releases........and watch the movies over and over...then it's possible for you to draw some conclusions in fact do me a favor...watch the first three movies, then tmpc and then aotc.......come back with some descent conclusions....and stop moaning about something you don't have the knowledge or expertise for.......be disappointed by the fact that you din't like tmp and aotc because of the story which didn't meet up with your expectations and didn't meet up with what is said on the internet the past months, years concering the plot.......

I dont think that guy is trying to stop anyones opinion Ren. :(

He may be saying "we dont know the deal between Lucas and Williams"

And in all honesty, has anyone heard any complaints from Williams yet?

I tend to agree that director and composer do whats right for the picture.

indeed i am not trying to stop you guys honestly we live in a world, well some major part of the world with how do you say this an english...free speech..or something like that....i am trying to clearify for myself why people aren't happy about aotc...it's easy to say something out of the blue..it's the arguments that are counting.....honestly i am very amused by the reactions.....some are quite good and well argumented

Guest, you have no idea what you're talking about, do you? Or what we're talking about.

We're talking about the SCORE.

Point of fact, I love AOTC. It's one of the best films I've seen in ages. TPM is also quite enjoyable, but no where near as fun as AOTC. I also happen to believe AOTC has the best plot out of all the Star Wars films. So, before you make a snap judgement, maybe you should actually ASK a few things first.

I am angry about the handling of Williams' music because it was Star Wars that got me interested in the wonderful world of film music and John Williams. A Star Wars film for me has always been about the wonderful music. When I was a kid, I was thrilled to have 11 records all devoted to the original trilogy. It's some of the finest music ever written and deserves to be heard.

Now he we are getting a new Star Wars film and a new Star Wars score. I should be excited. But I'm not. First of all, the movie is a tremendous let down, from a dramatic stand point. And on top of that, the music has been utterly destroyed. The thing that got me interested in music has been ripped away from me. Am I taking this personally? No. I'm not saying, "George, I deserve better than this. You owe me." I am however expressing my dissapointment with this. It used to be that Star Wars films were the best in terms of music matching the imagery and telling the story on its own. Not anymore. That's why I'm mad about this.

Neil

:(  Chill out Guest...why are you so angry?

i am not angry...i am disappointed by the fact that some of the people are believing that they know it al...thta they are the biggest williams fans....sue people have the right to be disappointed...but with good arguments...what 's wrong with using tpm cues...if it works for aotc.....

Indeed, upon second and third viewing, the music from TPM DOES work in AOTC, albeit not perfectly but it gets the job done.

However, Williams fans don't go to a new Star Wars movie to hear the same music from the previous film, they go for a NEW score altogether. Is that our fault? Honestly, no, I don't think so. It never happened before, so that it happened NOW, five films in, it's just ridiculous and upsetting for lots of us.

Granted, what IS new in AOTC is excellent, though somewhat badly edited in many spots (specifically the conveyer belt sequence)

I am angry about the handling of Williams' music because it was Star Wars that got me interested in the wonderful world of film music and John Williams.  A Star Wars film for me has always been about the wonderful music.  When I was a kid, I was thrilled to have 11 records all devoted to the original trilogy.  It's some of the finest music ever written and deserves to be heard.

Now he we are getting a new Star Wars film and a new Star Wars score.  I should be excited.  But I'm not.  First of all, the movie is a tremendous let down, from a dramatic stand point.  And on top of that, the music has been utterly destroyed.  The thing that got me interested in music has been ripped away from me.  Am I taking this personally?  No.  I'm not saying, "George, I deserve better than this.  You owe me."  I am however expressing my dissapointment with this.  It used to be that Star Wars films were the best in terms of music matching the imagery and telling the story on its own.  Not anymore.   That's why I'm mad about this.

Neil

i couldn't agree more on the above statement. this is what i wanted to hear...thank you guys. no more reactions from me...this is the one i was looking for...thanx neil

Indeed, upon second and third viewing, the music from TPM DOES work in AOTC, albeit not perfectly but it gets the job done.  

However, Williams fans don't go to a new Star Wars movie to hear the same music from the previous film, they go for a NEW score altogether. Is that our fault? Honestly, no, I don't think so. It never happened before, so that it happened NOW, five films in, it's just ridiculous and upsetting for lots of us.  

Granted, what IS new in AOTC is excellent, though somewhat badly edited in many spots (specifically the conveyer belt sequence)

thanx kevin...now we are talking.....just like the previous posting you're telling me exactly what's bothering you...your posting just like the previous one done by neil...is a good example of good arguments etc.

has anyone heard JW complaining about this yet? I wouldn't be surprised if he knew about this from the beginning and indeed gave his blessing for editing to be done of previous scores (and NOT by GL... he's not a musical editor and couldnt have made as good a job as it is in the film) as this was the only way any music would have made it to the film as it wasn't finished in time for a score to be written...... I think he probably agreed to it.

I have no complaints. I liked both the movie, and the soundtrack despite its faults.

-Jason

Are you talking about the music on the cd or the music in the film?

~Harry

I just read the original question and here's my answer:

because the score is butched in the film. Yes, it still fits (with the exception of "Yoda's Theme" during the Conveyor Belt scene), but it's still noticeably hacked to us loyal patrons of Johnny's art.

Dan - overdramatizing the end of that sentence for no reason whatsoever

:music: "Second Crisis" from The Legend Of 1900 (Morricone)

Doesn't really fit, parts are a mix of a bunch of cues, it sounds disjointed

• 3 months later...

I have to say, anyone who thinks that the AOTC score isn't that good is greatly mistaken. It is a fantasic score, even though it may not be as good as some of his others!!! :jump:

I have to say, anyone who thinks that the AOTC score isn't that good is greatly mistaken. It is a fantasic score, even though it may not be as good as some of his others!!!  :)

Oh, shit! My opinions are mistaken! I knew there was something wrong! banghead

do you dislike the score, Ricard? i'm curious.

OOH! Ricard swore! :)

I would like to know how the musical score to AOTC was destroyed. It seems to me that that would mean that it was burned or melted or some other destructive thing happened to it. Editting doesn't seem to be a destruction. If that's what you mean, look at K-19. That was written in four suites, then was editted in to fit the movie. I'm not saying that Klaus is as good as John or the director of K-19 is as good as Lucas, but it's the general idea. Editting is around so that music can be made to fit the movie. Tell me how the music is "destroyed" please.

~Conor

For me, the biggest loss was the removal of Anakin's theme in the end credits. Anakin's loss of innocence and his descension into the dark side seemed more significant than the love story, which really didn't play out too well.

I have to say, anyone who thinks that the AOTC score isn't that good is greatly mistaken. It is a fantasic score, even though it may not be as good as some of his others!!!  :)

LOL

Ray Barnsbury

OOH!  Ricard swore! :)  

I would like to know how the musical score to AOTC was destroyed.  It seems to me that that would mean that it was burned or melted or some other destructive thing happened to it.  Editting doesn't seem to be a destruction.  If that's what you mean, look at K-19.  That was written in four suites, then was editted in to fit the movie.  I'm not saying that Klaus is as good as John or the director of K-19 is as good as Lucas, but it's the general idea.  Editting is around so that music can be made to fit the movie.  Tell me how the music is "destroyed" please.

~Conor

The developement is messed up, the music sounds disjointed and jaggered. That is how it is destroyed.

has anyone heard JW complaining about this yet?

I doubt Williams complains about anything, even the fan standing on his foot while asking him to sign a bootleg CD and breathing bad breath in his face.

I'm angry for the same reason everyone else is angry on this site. Because Lucas butchers Johnny's scores OVER and OVER!

The man is the worst editor in showbusiness. Incredibly his films have even worse editing. :)

I'm angry for the same reason everyone else is angry on this site.

Well there you go again, Rogue Leader, speaking for everyone :roll:

The man is the worst editor in showbusiness. Incredibly his films have even worse editing.  :angry:

The director (usually) has nothing to do with the editing, that's why credits such as "Edited by Ben Burtt", and "music edited by Ken Wannberg" have significance 8O

I'm angry for the same reason everyone else is angry on this site.

Well there you go again, Rogue Leader, speaking for everyone :roll:

Leave him alone. He meant most people of course. :roll:

Well there you go again, Rogue Leader, speaking for everyone

I meant EVERYONE ELSE WHO IS ANGRY. I thought this poin was obvious. Glad to see Morn understood me!

:angry:

There A.I. goes again. Blatantly misunderstanding what I said.

-Rogue Leader who believes A.I.'s 8O post took the I out of A.I. if you catch my dirft! ;)