So what instrument[s] do you play?

Beowulf

Well? Let's have it then!

I personally play the Piano, Clarinet and Trumpet.

Piano = General instrument...fun at all times.

Clarinet = Orchestra and Wind Ensemble.

Trumpet = Jazz Band and Marching Band.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

World's worst pianist with the world's most enviable hands. I could have made Rachmaninoff weep, if only I had applied myself.

Figo, with an octave and a half reach.

Percussion (from triangle to bass drum to snare drum, to drum set, to melodic percussion like xylophone and marimba, with four sticks)

Percussion pitched and unpitched, bass guitar, sequencer, sampler, turntables... yes, I consider them all instruments, but it was "Over The Moon" from E.T., among other things which made me want to master the piano as kid, which is my main instrument.

And I wish Universal would have reissued the concert arrangements (Over the Moon, E.T. and Me, Flying) from the original E.T. album in '82 on the 20th anniversary edition!

-Violin (with lessons since 7 years, regional youth orchestra, 1st Vl.)

-Piano (self-taught, average or a little better, bad technical skills, just for fun)

-Horn (Only few lessons, below average, played in concert one season (gee, that was fun))

-Guitar (Self-taught, average, acoustic and electric)

-Used to play percussion (cymbals, xylophone, ...) in the orchestra some years ago (that's where everyone starts in our orchestra :angry:)

-Some E-Bass (When playing with some friends, mostly oldies/Beatles etc.)

-Chris

Well, since I'm a music teacher I have had classes so I am proficient at all major instruments. (They wouldn't want an incompetent music teacher). But my major instrument is piano (played with lessons for 17 years).

I have small hands though so I envy anyone with more than an octave reach. LOL

I play trombone, some keyboard, and sing a wicked baritone!

I want to learn a string instrument, but I'm a drummer at heart :angry:

And yes Ren, I can reach a ninth! :wow:

Trumpet

French Horn

Piano

Irish Tin Whistle

Low Whistle (actually just like tin whistle, but a lot bigger with wider fingerings)

Voice

Stereo

I'm working on teaching myself how to play the bodhrán

I want to try the violin

I want to learn to play the uilleann pipes

I love music :angry:

~Conor

Not only don't i play any instruments,I know little or nothing about the technical stuff about music writing and stuff apart from some words I learnt on message boards,and never took music lessons.

I am just a fan of John Williams and some of other film scores.

BUT

20 years of listening and owning all his scores does give me a right to a valid opinion.

K.M.

World's worst pianist with the world's most enviable hands.  I could have made Rachmaninoff weep, if only I had applied myself.

Figo, with an octave and a half reach.

I heard he didn't think much of himself as a great pianoist :angry: Only as a composer for pianoists.

Wow! A lot of drummers I see...that obviously makes this board very --> :angry:

It is good to see the variety of instruments represented on these boards however. Maybe that's another reason why we all usually have unique opinions on things.

Beowulf - Glad that no one has said anything remotely akin to "skin flute" or any other such "instruments"... I was half expecting it from Figo or maybe even Stef.

;)

What, you think I play skin flute, is that what you're saying? Sorry, Beowulf, I already used that joke in another thread. Not that I'm above repeating myself. :angry:

Morn, my comment about Rachmaninoff had to do with his enormous reach and nothing at all to do with his personal estimation of his own pianistic abilites. Nevermind the fact that, by all accounts, Rachmaninoff was one of the greatest pianists who ever lived -- at the very least, one of the greatest of modern times. Rach was notoriously down on himself both as a pianist and composer. (And the term is "pianist," take note.) The failure of his 1st Symphony sent him spiraling into a profound depression -- a very short trip for the gloomy Russian -- from which he emerged only after extensive therapy and hypnosis treatments. The outcome was a very fruitful period that brought forth the Piano Concerto No. 2 and the 2nd Symphony, two of his most popular works.

Why is it that every one of your one-line boners requires at least a paragraph in response?

Figo, wishing he could have his very large hands wrapped around Morn's skull, Rutger Hauer-style.

-Used to play percussion (cymbals, xylophone, ...) in the orchestra some years ago (that's where everyone starts in our orchestra :angry:)

-Chris

Yes, but you know what miracle happens if you take one stick of the drummer:

he becomes a conductor!!

With all the percussionists here we could start an ensemble. One week reherasel in the U.S. and the other week in Europe OK?

I am coming up on my 8th anniversary (wow! that was a long time ago!) of starting the cello.

I can dabble on the piano a (very) little bit.

I play the sk......, oh you mean musical instruments.

:oops: Accordian. :oops:

OK, SO MY DAD LOVED POLKA MUSIC, IS IT MY FAULT. HE MADE ME TAKE LESSONS. banghead

I play the radio, and cd player well too.

Don't let my name fool you. I know diddly about music. Mark says it for me:

Not only don't i play any instruments,I know little or nothing about the technical stuff about music writing and stuff apart from some words I learnt on message boards,and never took music lessons.

I am just a fan of John Williams and some of other film scores.

BUT

20 years of listening and owning all his scores does give me a right to a valid opinion.

:)

Joe, what a unique instrument, keep it up!.

and about jsawruk's ninth stretch, "I LOVE BIG HANDS! on the piano!"

and about us being alot of drummers, I was in a Winterguard Percussion (WGI) group for 2 years and we went to compete at the World Finals and saw some AWESOME concert and marchin percussion groups~

Obviously I played a pitched instrument.

Oboe

English Horn (Cor Anglais)

I played for a few years in 3 orchestras here in LA but I gave it up last year to concentrate on composing.

Hehe...so Joe, who's your greatest idol ---> Lawrence Welk? :mrgreen:

I can reach a tenth!!! :mrgreen:

But i play Piano (about 7 years or so and am ook i guess.... but not the worst either)

and Trombone, for 1 year with like 5 lessons and am in the concert band at my school.... im the worst but still learning

Violin (fairly proficient) and tenor banjo (rather crap, really). Don't expect any Deliverance-style pickin' from me, I leave that to albino redneck children.

These instruments are not as different as they may sound; the tenor banjo has the same range as a viola but the music is usually written in the treble clef, transposed up an octave.

Squeal like a pig, boy! :mrgreen:

Oboe

English Horn (Cor Anglais)

I played for a few years in 3 orchestras here in LA but I gave it up last year to concentrate on composing.

Williams saying performing is essential to help composing. :mrgreen:

Don't Knock Him!!! I enjoyed his shows as a kid!

I can reach a tenth!!! :mrgreen:

But i play Piano (about 7 years or so and am ook i guess.... but not the worst either)

and Trombone, for 1 year with like 5 lessons and am in the concert band at my school.... im the worst but still learning

*envious beyond words*