Ultimate R2 Bond DVDs

fommes

To be honest, there are only a few I don't want. While I wouldn't go out of my way to buy Tomorrow Never Dies or The Man With The Golden Gun, I don't mind it here. The only two I'm pi$$ed off at owning two copies, or even one copy of are Moonraker and Die Another Day. And even Moonraker's worth it to hear that unreleased music....

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like them all in varying degrees, though I'm really not too happy about owning a second copy of Die Another Day. Moonraker I really enjoy so as long as the image quality is a marked improvement I won't mind having that one twice. I'm just disappointed I won't be able to get all the 60s films in one set!

I'm holding onto a few of my 007 SEs (A View to A Kill, Licence to Kill, Tomorrow Never Dies and Goldeneye) as they

(at least on the R2 releases) have cropped some of the sides off. I hope they do fix the captions on Octopussy and

Living Daylights, the audio sync (I think it was Thunderball that had this problem), and the terrible transfer they did

for Goldeneye. Maybe they'll get them right in time for the Ultra-Super-Duper HD editions we'll probably see next year.

I hate the idea of rebuying these, but I do at least want the Moore commentaries. They'd better be cheap. Sony is certainly

following in the Fox and MGM tradition of draining every bit they can from these old turnips.

• 2 months later...

BUMP.

So I guess Fox is bringing these Ultimate Edition DVDs out in R2, again! Does anybody know if these will be the same DVDs? Will the errors be corrected?

I also read about a glitch on the R2 (benelux) OHMSS DVD, it doesn't play on all DVD players...

So I guess Fox is bringing these Ultimate Edition DVDs out in R2, again! Does anybody know if these will be the same DVDs? Will the errors be corrected?

Not as far as I know. I think they're just straight re-packagings, only in the same style (jumbled up) as the American releases.

Can we get them cheaper somewhere in the meantime?

There's this buy one get one free promotion on the internet. Will this appear in stores too?

Oh, and in OHMSS, is the complete Gumbold scene there in the UE?

• 3 weeks later...

Bump!

Well I decided to sell my three special edition Bond boxstes on Amazon. Apparently they're quite rare now, so I got $350 for them! (Set 3, the one that had only 6 movies, interestingly is the most valuable of the three. It seems to be worth almost $200!!) More than enough to upgrade to the Ultimate Editions. I've bought the two current sets and must say I'm very impressed. Goldfinger looks amazing! I really can't wait to see Dr No and FRWL when the next 10 movies come out in December!

You have Thunderball UE already, right?

On the Region 2 UE, they screwed up the shark tank scene (where Largo has one of his henchman thrown in). The water is supposed to turn red with the henchman's blood, but on the R2 UE it just stays water-blue coloured. Did they fix this for the Region 1 UE?

Yes. The red is present in the R1 UE, although the original soundtrack and the remix both feature a different line when Bond encounters the shark on the way out of the shark tank.

Yes. The red is present in the R1 UE, although the original soundtrack and the remix both feature a different line when Bond encounters the shark on the way out of the shark tank.

I think it should be "now you can tell about the one that got away".

There are loads of variations in different prints of Thunderball, I have a list somewhere on my computer that details them all.

You have Thunderball UE already, right?

On the Region 2 UE, they screwed up the shark tank scene (where Largo has one of his henchman thrown in). The water is supposed to turn red with the henchman's blood, but on the R2 UE it just stays water-blue coloured. Did they fix this for the Region 1 UE?

Ouch! That's one of the most memorable moments! You get the henchman's view through the red water of Largo and his lackeys turning and walking away. Yes it's red water in the R1 disk. I can't believe they messed up on the R2s. That's something they should replace! Otherwise it's hardly an "ultimate" version! I wonder if there are any other errors.

So far I've watched Goldfinger, Spy Who Loved Me, and Thunderball, and they all seem pretty good to me. There's a noticable improvement in quality. I haven't seen a single spot or line on the screen yet.

Ouch! That's one of the most memorable moments! You get the henchman's view through the red water of Largo and his lackeys turning and walking away. Yes it's red water in the R1 disk. I can't believe they messed up on the R2s. That's something they should replace! Otherwise it's hardly an "ultimate" version! I wonder if there are any other errors.

Let's see, these errors on the R2s were corrected for the R1s:

~ A few colouring errors, like the Thunderball one.

~ Subtitle screw-ups - captions were played-generated instead of burned-in, and some weren't there at all

~ No original sound mixes, only 5.1 remixes.

And probably a few other things.

Sadly, I hear the bad framing on GoldenEye and A View to a Kill has been carried over. :(

I'm really glad I held off buying these to get the R1 editions! :)

What type of DVD player do you have (which make)?

I know where this is leading :). I'm English but living in the States right now. I have a Toshiba cheapo DVD player. My sister sent me the R2 DVD of a very bizarre but well-made series called Funland. I found the code for my DVD player and tried it, and it worked perfectly. Mine now works as a multi-region player. I read online that occasionally the code can wreck your player, but in my case it made my player twice as useful.

I've been reading up on the new digital restoration process they used on the ultimate edition Bonds. Die Another Day and World is Not Enough were NOT restored (I assume because they are already digitally as good as they need to be), but every film up to the last Dalton, Licence to Kill has been restored. Does anyone know if Goldeneye and Tomorrow Never Dies were "restored"? Those disks won't come out in the States until December 12th.

What type of DVD player do you have (which make)?

For now, I mostly watch DVDs on my PC, but may get a player rather soon myself.

At home we got a Panasonic.

Oh and Neil is dead.

Someone resurrect him soon.

Sadly, I hear the bad framing on GoldenEye and A View to a Kill has been carried over. :music:

A View to a Kill didn't look as bad as GoldenEye, although I've seen a few screenshots that had quite a bit of material missing. But also shots were all you're really missing is that background extra's face on the far left. GoldenEye is baaad, though.

I haven't heard anything about a possible R1 fix on GoldenEye.

How do you know about Goldeneye? It isn't out on R2 until Dec 12th.

And as for the wires in Goldfinger, I'm rather glad to see the back of them, as I'm sure are the special effects team who originally worked on it! It's even more noticeable in the plane crash scene. The diagonal wires down which the plane "travelled" are completely gone. Phew! They always made that scene seem a bit, well, silly.

I haven't viewed all of the films from the first two sets but I skimmed thru Goldfinger, Thunderball and The Living Daylights and they all look and sound fantastic.

I'm not going to buy to replace the SE's I have (i.e. Living Daylights onwards), but picked up 4 Roger Moore ones the other day and am scouting through them.....DTS mixes are quite nice and not intrusive....picture as good as can be expected.......still have to check out the "Bed" subs on Octopussy though......

Greg - enjoying Bond!!

I still haven't updated Licensed to Kill (the SE was a censored version). Once I get one of these, I'll probably end up getting them all, and I think it's a tad expensive to buy 20 movies I already have again. But these R1 editions are sounding mighty nice now... original mixes, some errors fixed, hmm...

- Marc, slightly tempted again.

• 11 months later...

Bump

Sorry to bring this ancient thread back from the dead, but I have a question.

Does anyone have the UE (R1) of Die Another Day? I seem to be missing some of the special features on the second disc. It's supposed to include the trailer from the film (it even says on the back of the DVD case that the trailer is under the heading "Ministry of Propaganda" on the special features disc). Has anyone found the trailers on the Die Another Day UE disc? I wonder if they screwed up and left it off by mistake.