Tanglewood Film Night 2006 program announced!

Foxfan

After bugging the BSO with numerous e-mails requesting it, they have finally put out a press release containing the program:

Saturday, August 12, 8:30 p.m., Shed

BOSTON POPS ESPLANADE ORCHESTRA

JOHN WILLIAMS, conductor

YO-YO MA, cello

JAMES EARL JONES, narrator

MASAKAZU YOSHIZAWA, shakuhachi

Film Night at Tanglewood, an all-Williams program

Sound the Bells!

Excerpts from Close Encounters of the Third Kind

"Escape from the City" from War of the Worlds

Suite from Memoirs of a Geisha

Sayuri's Theme, Going to School, The Chairman's Waltz, Brush on Silk, Chiyo's Prayer, Becoming a Geisha

Grand Suite from Star Wars

20th Century Fox Logo, Main Title, Duel of the Fates, Across the Stars, Imperial March, Princess Leia's Theme, The Asteroid Field, Yoda's Theme, Parade of the Ewoks, Throne Room & Finale

(Unfortunately "Battle of the Heroes" doesn't seem to be included in the Grand Suite)

Also, the BSO appears to have spilled the beans by also mentioning ET and NBC News (meant to be encores) in their press release:

Boston Pops Laureate Conductor John Williams returns to Tanglewood to lead the Pops in Tanglewood's annual Film Night, an evening of music and film selections that has become one of the summer's most popular annual events. This year's program exclusively features music by Mr. Williams, including selections from one of his most recent scores, the Golden Globe-winning soundtrack to Memoirs of a Geisha. Joining the Pops for this segment is Masakazu Yoshizawa as shakuhachi (Japanese flute) soloist. Legendary film actor James Earl Jones - the voice of Darth Vader - is special guest narrator for William's Grand Suite from Star Wars, with music from the first three movies of that series. Also on the concert are excerpts from E.T., Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and War of the Worlds, the NBC News theme The Mission, and, to open the program, Williams' fanfare Sound the Bells. Film Night this year is Saturday, August 12, at 8:30 p.m. There will be an Open Rehearsal of the Film Night program on Saturday, August 12, at 10:30 a.m. in the Shed, with a Pre-Concert Talk open to rehearsal ticket holders at 9:30 a.m.  

Link: http://www.bso.org/itemB/pressRelease.jhtm...600024&area=com

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't that Geisha overload?

Isn't Williams pissed off enough about Geisha?

K.M.Who think he should play"Selections from Brokeback Mountain,rearranged by himself

I was kind of hoping for "Liberty Fanfare" instead of "Sound the Bells", but oh well... I'm sure it will still be a great concert.

I'm eager to see what they'll have in the works for the big John Williams 75th birthday celebration that is sure to come next year.

I'm very much looking forward to this concert. I only wish something from Episode III was played.

Ted

love to see this, and then there is a nice intermission after Duel of the Fates,

I have never heard Duel of the Fates without a chorus; I'm really looking forward to hearing it.

Ted

I remember hearing a low-quality recording of Duel of the Fates being performed without the chorus and it was a different arrangement with too much percussion.

Williams added more cymbal crashes to the concert version, so that is the composer's definitive version.

Also, the Duel of the Fates from the Star Wars Grand Suite is a shortened 2 minute version.

It is? So is it just like the movie's end credits then?

Also, anyone know why Battle of the Heroes wasn't included?

It wasn't included when the Grand Suite premiered 3 years ago (for obvious reasons). The score as well as the narration would likely need to be altered in order to incorporate it into the suite. Perhaps Williams thought it would be impractical to make those changes for some reason, or it might be that the music is already published, and it's easier to stick with already available material.

I'm really interested in going this year. Never been there before and looking for opinions. For anyone who has been to Tanglewood and the Mann Center in Philly, are they pretty much the same set up? What I'm curious about is how far back the lawn area is.

Yeah, me too. I've been to the Mann Center, but never to Tanglewood. Since I have lawn seats, I'm looking to get there early so I'm not too far from the shed. If anyone has any details on what the place is like, I'd appreciate it also.

Ted

Place is nice, but for a view of the concert, the lawn is horrible. In the shed, the floor slopes down towards the stage, but on the lawn, the ground slopes down the other way, so unless you're real close, you don't have a direct line-of-sight and must rely on the screens. If you have lawn tickets, get there early!

Dammit. Are there seats at the edge of the shed, like with the Mann? I think I'm going to plan on being there between 6 and 7. I just want to have a nice view.

Ted

I was afraid of that. Just not sure it's worth the 5 hour drive. Out of curiosity, those that are going where are you staying? Looks like Lenox is an expensive area, so Albany was my second choice since it's only about 45 minutes from there. Any other suggestions?

I have never heard Duel of the Fates without a chorus; I'm really looking forward to hearing it.

Ted

Since they're playing without the chorus I hope they won't do the "clashy" version...

The Pops concert I went to in '99 had DotF without the chorus, I remember it being well done. Sounded pretty much just like the OST concert piece minus the chorus. Of course, that was a while ago and it was new then.

I have a question,and it may sound silly, but I was wondering if anyone here might know the answer. The Open Rehersal at 10:30 am on August 12th in Tanglewood, do you have to have a ticket or anything to see that or can you just walk in and watch/listen? Because I noticed you have to have a ticket for the talk at 9:30am.

Thank you for your help!

~Hunter~

I received an email from the BSO newsletter recommending that people arrive plenty early for Saturday's concert as they are expecting a very large crowd (probably more than 13,000 people). The grounds open at 5:30. Whomever has lawn tix, you should have sprung for actual seats in the Shed! Sorry.

The grounds may open at 5:30 but the line-up outside the gates can start as early as anyone wants it.

I'm not trying to make you paranoid. I'm just telling you to arrive early to have a direct view. If you bring your own chairs, you can sit just on the edge of the shed if you arrive early enough. 6 or 7 is WAY too late. 2 or 3 is more reasonable (that's what I did with lawn tickets three years ago.

I'm not trying to make you paranoid. I'm just telling you to arrive early to have a direct view.

I know, and I thank you for that. There is just no way that I will be able to make it there before 5:30 or 6. I'll just keep my fingers crossed for a decent area. I really wish I didn't wait so long to get these tickets so that I wouldn't have this problem.

Ted

I've got a suggestion for all those going. How about we all meet during intermission in the wide row behind the box seats?

The Pops concert I went to in '99 had DotF without the chorus, I remember it being well done. Sounded pretty much just like the OST concert piece minus the chorus. Of course, that was a while ago and it was new then.

When was that concert? Because I saw the Pops in May 1999, right after TPM opened. I'll have to find my ticket for the exact date, but I think it was a Thursday. Like May 26th or something like that, the first performance of the program.

The program had DotF with chorus, along with the Main Title and Flag Parade. Now THAT performance of DotF sounded just like the OST!

But (if I remember correctly) the rest of the concerts that weekend had DotF minus chorus, but added Anakins Theme.

Jeff

Just came back from Dress Rehearsal!! It was the best time at Tanglewood Ive had! War of the Worlds sounded really cool live, and Memoirs was beautiful! The best of course was Star Wars, Princess Leia's theme shook me up a little bit!!!!! During the rehearsal James Earl Jones made a mistake and it was so funny to hear him say "Oops Sorry!". Loved it loved it!

JMan

I just came back from the concert.

Finally Duel of the Fates was the full-length version without the chorus, which was fun to hear. My only beef was that the "Throne Room" was the movie edition and not the extended concert edition (which sounds great in that upper key near the end). They also scrapped the plans to play NBC News.

Oh, and guess what! Steven Spielberg was in the audience with us! I'm sure he was happy to see ET!

Diskolobus, did you think of recording parts of the concert of WCRB back in Boston?

This was the first Film Night at Tanglewood that I've missed in ten years!!! :cry:

I recently moved to California and couldn't get back for the show.

*sigh*

I recently moved to California and couldn't get back for the show.

I recently moved to CA too, and pretty much maxed out the rest of my credit card just to pay for my flight back to New England for this concert!

And will anyone on the board be putting together audio or video of the performance? I had my new video recorder with me, but it was my first time using it, and my battery ran out right after the Imperial March ended. Plus there were some parts of Geisha that I thought were recording that weren't. :| There was also a lot of background noise where I was sitting, so it will be interested to watch what I've got...

Did anyone stay behind hoping for an autograph? I couldn't stay, but I assumed he wouldn't have come out last night anyway...

Finally Duel of the Fates was the full-length version without the chorus, which was fun to hear.

Did anyone get a good recording of this?