Statements that wouldn't work without their build up!

BLUMENKOHL

List out those amazing moments you've heard in soundtracks, statements of a theme, or what not, that just wouldn't be quite as amazing without the build up to them.

Right now I can think of two cases...

The statement of the Viking theme in "Valhalla/Viking Victory" from The 13th Warrior...

And also the last 20 or so seconds that build up to the statement of the Force Theme in "Anakin is Free"

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another ROTK statement that wouldn't be as powerful without the buildup is the Shire/Hobbit theme in "The Return of the King." When I first saw it, when I heard the buildup, I knew, "Oh, yes, this is it" and it was just an amazing, beautifully scored moment.

The ultimate one is the statement of the "mountain theme" in I Can't Believe It's Real from the Close Encounters soundtrack. The 20 second build-up to that moment is one of the finest build-up/release moments in all movie scores. Similarly the build-up/release to the moment when the escape pod ejects in Star Wars.

I've always loved the build up before giving way into the statement of Han Solo and the Princess in The Clash of the Lightsabers (esp. that brassy fanfarish thing right before R2 gets the landing platform door open in ESB).

Another build up I also like from ESB is the Rescue From Cloud City.

I recent one I love to death is the Charge of the Rohirrim on Pelennor from Return of the King - the pounding Nature theme building into the Rohan theme seemingly *never* fails to move me.

I recent one I love to death is the Charge of the Rohirrim on Pelennor from Return of the King - the pounding Nature theme building into the Rohan theme seemingly *never* fails to move me.

I concur :)

Another recent moment I should mention is the magnificant triple statement of the Blue World theme in The Great Eatlon, which wouldn't be as perplexingly beautiful without the percussion buildup and final rising brass before the 'plunge'.

Are you referring to the 30 seconds from 3:33 - 4:03?

And the Ride of the Rohirrim is an amazing cue.

Ted

Are you referring to the 30 seconds from 3:33 - 4:03?  

And the Ride of the Rohirrim is an amazing cue.

Ted

In LitW, I'm mainly referring to the percussive parts from around 3 mins in leading up to the choir-layered rendition. The clue was in the word triple :)

This cue has rocketed up my most played list, with nearly 100 since release. I'm simply still not bored with this score yet.

The 'Charge of the Rohirim' cue from ROTK. It starts with hints of the nature and Rohan themes in low strings, and build until the Nature theme blasts out of the brass, which seques directly into a perfect rendition of the Rohan theme.

The beginning (among other sections) of "Remembering Chilhood" from Hook. "The Ring Goes South" from FOTR.

There are way too many LOTR examples in this thread.

What about the slow and magical choral build up to The Last March Of The Ents? the way it flows into the nature theme is just stunning and literally hair raising.

It's theme representing nature in The Lord of the Rings, and it doubles as sort of a "last stand" theme. It is heard in big renditions when the Ents march towards Isengard and when Gimli blows the Horn at Helm's Deep in TTT, and has another big rendition at the Rohirrim's charge of the Pelennor Fields. There's also a small statement when Merry and Pippin mention the Old Forest in TTT.

It is first heard in FotR, when the moth flies up to Gandalf at Orthanc. See the CR liner notes for more details.

Superman:

The build up during the opening credits and then again when Superman makes his first appearance to rescue Lois.