Harry Potter 3 Casting

ocelot

OK guys,

One of my best friends is working with David Heyman (producer) closely on Harry Potter 2 and 3. I had no idea he had switched jobs, but we were talking at our mutual friends wedding the other night and I flipped out. He's seen a cut of 2 (not with the music) and says it looks great. They test screened it in Chicago. They are in the middle of casting Lupin, Sirius Black and a few other parts for 3 to be able to start shooting in Feb. Any suggestions for the new roles? I will gladly pass them on. I said Patrick Stewart for Lupin, and he thinks that's a great idea. I'm going over to his place for a BBQ on Sunday so give me some names to give him. He can't wait to start work on 3 with Alfonso Cuaron. He also said that as far as he knew they want Williams for the 3rd one as long as he is available. They all think he is the best for Harry Potter.

Ren, Indy, all of you, this is a good chance for us to give some ideas. He's already going to talk to them about Patrick Stewart.

me

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want Angelica Houston for Madam Maxim, but that's it book 4. Christopher Lee... I'm trying to think for what role

Patrick Stewart as Lupin? :thumbup:

You're kidding right Ocelot? Isn't he a bit too old to play Lupin? Lupin was supposed to be a classmate and good friend of Harry's father. Stewart is 62.

The actors cast should be in their mid 40's to early 50's to appear similar in age to Alan Rickman's Snape. Anthony Head, Giles on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, would be my pick. As for Sirius Black, Jason Carter, of Babylon 5 fame, is my suggestion, and he certainly looks the part. Both actors are British, and are capable performers. Peter Pettigrew will be harder to cast, but I'm sure they'll find some relatively unknown actor for the role.

I believe that covers the major new roles in PoA, with the exeption of Uncle Vernon's sister, Marge, which I couldn't even begin to speculate on as far as casting choices go.

Is the only-British-actors clause still valid?

Lupin is described to be quite young, just looking older than he is. I think he, Black and Pettigrew aren't easy to cast, probably because I don't really have images for them in my head. Hmm....perhaps Gary Oldman as Black? Black does have a somewhat unstable element in his emotions, Oldman would do that pretty well I imagine. He would also be convincing as a convicted murderer.

And what about Cornelius Fudge? Based purely on the description of his appearance, Nathan Lane comes to my mind - but I've only seen him in one film ( :wow: ), so I can't really classify him as an actor.

As for Christopher Lee....the only role I could imagine for him is Voldemort. ;) Everyone else is far too young, except Nicholas Flamel, but we never get to see him. ;)

As for Goblet of Fire: Miranda Richardson as Rita Skeeter, Anjelica Huston as Madame Maxime and Malcolm McDowell as Moody. The Mr. Crouch I have in my head looks pretty much like Paul Newman, but he's not British, and probably a bit too old.

Marian - who loves these speculations. :)

:thumbup: Princess Mononoke: Symphonic Suite (Joe Hisaishi)

Marian, I'd imagine the "British actors only" clause, though unofficial, will be in place as long as Rowling has any say at all in the casting. Possible exceptions could be the characters, such as Maxime, who aren't supposed to be British. Oh and Fudge has been cast for a brief appearance in CoS, but the actor's name escapes me at the moment.

I've forgotten about one major role in the third film, Harry's divination teacher, Professor Trelawney. I've thought of an actress to play her, Tracey Ullman. I'd love to see her in those huge glasses, predicting Harry's death at every opportunity.

I like Patrick Stewart as Lupin, but he is a bit old. It could work though. I actually originally thought he would be great as Dumbledore. I still think so, but Harris is great too. I also like Nathan Lane as Fudge. I don't think she's British, but Kathy Bates would be perfect as Aunt Marge. She's not really obese, but I can just see her being the loud and uncouth Marge that Harry loves oh so much. :thumbup:

Ray Barnsbury

Richard Harris may have t bow out as Professor Dumbledore because of his failing health.

lets hope thats not the case

I've got good news Joe. The BBC reports that the rumor is false. He is indeed recovering from pneumonia, but is expected to make a full recovery.

The paper reporting the rumor, The Sun, is the UK's equivilent of the New York Post. Half the stories they print are nothing more than half-thruths and tabloid tales.

Good news true but even the BBC report contained an error.

Dumbledore is not 2000 years old.

Either way, Prisoner of Azkaban, begins filming in January of 2003. Harris should be fully recovered by then, if not there are many capable British actors capable of taking up the slack.

I have know problem with the all British actors rule.

Falls in nicely with my belief that Superman should only be played by an American. Seriously, can anyone believe Haley Joel Osment as Harry Potter. Yuck.

Does the "British actors only" rule still apply?

Well, if it does or doesn't, i'm just gonna say my choices anyway.

Most are from the exceptional cast of Bridget Jones' Diary

For Rita Skeeter, I'd pick....the girl who played Shazzer from Bridget Jones' Diary.....Sally Philips.

Perpetua (Felicity Montagu), the bossy co-worker, could fit somehwere here too. maybe Aunt Marge

Mr. Tits Pervert (Paul Brooke), Jim Broadbent or Richard Finch (Neil Pearson)- could fit the part as Cornelius Fudge or Mr. Crouch, although when I read hte book, I imagined the guy to look like Uncle Vernon

James Faulkener (uncle Geofrrey) -someone sneaky...

Tom the gay friend (James Callis) as Peter Pettigrew....or someone evil.

===

Ok, Non-British Cast:

For Peter Pettigrew: I'd like to see Colin Mochrie( a canadian), or Greg Proops (american) or Wallace Shawn. They've all got this sniveling whiny voice that would work well.....IMHO.

Sirius Black: Hugh Jackman? Typecasting, i know, but what the hell...:thumbup:

I'll think of more later, when i reread book 3. Arrghh.. Sunday's too soon....They'll probably have to pick someone who's relatively unknown to play these HP characters....

Rita Skeeter must be played by Angelica Huston!!

Lupos= Ewan McGreggor

Black=...?

Madame Maxime=Pam Ferris! Who? The head-mistress from Roald Dahls "Matilda".

Fudge has been cast already, he is played by Robert Hardy. He's most famous for appearing in a long running BBC series All Creatures Great and Small.

HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD!

I don't like Patrick Stewart as Lupin, but Ewan migh be cool at it.

I really have no idea who could play these parts as I do not know many British actors.

I'll think even though it'll be too late to get them too you. This is so amazing!!!!!! I CAN"T wait for 3!~

McGregor is a great actor, and I'd love to see him in a Potter movie - but I can't imagine him as Lupin at all. He inspires too much confidence. Luping *does* inspire confidence, but his looks don't. People are a bit scared of him at first, and only begin to trust him when they know him better.

well they can change the way he looks can't they, will all the make up effects?

i do agree, ewan as lupin, very good match. i'm still thinking about who else will be good.

OK concerning the use of non British people... I talked to my friend, and he said they are courting someone for Lupin............. Oh God, I don't know if I like this, but here goes.... Russell Crowe....

I was like WHAT? I mean I can see it, but we'll have to see what the response is. (You heard it here first if it does come to pass)

Patrick Stewart originaly wanted Quirrels part and didn't get it, and I think they said they had him in mind for another role.... That's the only one I can think of unless it is Mad Eye Moody.

Russell Crowe, eh? Hmm...he seems to be a good actor, but I think his Lupin would have something of Lockhart -> not good. Besides, what about the poor children who'd have to work with him. :thumbup:

Stewart would fit as Moody, but I still think McDowell would be even better.

And what about Ludo Bagman? My imagination is too stupid for me to think of any actor for him - for some reason, I always picture him like that annoying Bee man in The Simpsons.

:) How To Steal A Million

I don't know about Russel Crowe. He was great in a beautiful mind but I'd have to think about that some more.

What about Sirius, any ideas????

Stewart as Moody, YES!!!! I can totally see that!

My imagination is too stupid for me to think of any actor for him - for some reason, I always picture him like that annoying Bee man in The Simpsons.

ME TOO!! :thumbup:

Kevin Kline as Ludo Bagman?

That's the only one I can think of unless it is Mad Eye Moody.

I always imagined Hopkins as Moody.

The only problem would be everyone would be complaining that he didn't eat all the kids. :)

Justin - :thumbup:

Russell Crowe....in an HP movie....:thumbup: uhmm...he wouldn't be a good Lupin. He's too famous;and he doesn't have the look of a teacher...no matter how much makeup you cake on him.

All the others sound good though.

Princess Mononoke: Symphonic Suite (Joe Hisaishi)

:) that's a great score.

Lee as Voldemort? Spoiler...

Well, maybe but he might be too old. I mean, Harris was one of the teachers when he was a teen there, so he'd have to be younger. Vol and Hagrid were same age.....so they're have to pick someone in their late 50's (human years)

The screenplay for 3 is finished and Steve Kloves is already tackling 4. My friend says they are slated to do it.

I'm sure it's going to be one and they will condense the whole first section with the world cup quiditch and all that.

In other news..... I'll be going to a screening of HP 2 so I'm very very excited :mrgreen:

yeah about the HP2 screening.

Yeah, I'm sure they'll condense that whole beginning stuff, I'm also wondering how much of the school year they'll condense too.

I'm sure it's going to be one and they will condense the whole first section with the world cup quiditch and all that.  

In other news.....  I'll be going to a screening of HP 2 so I'm very very excited :jump:

:wow: Lucky! Urmm..what`s the emoticon for jealous again? :jump::mrgreen:

Hey, how bout Daniel Day Lewis as Sirius Black if not Hugh Jackman??

Lee as Voldemort? Spoiler...  

Well, maybe but he might be too old. I mean, Harris was one of the teachers when he was a teen there, so he'd have to be younger. Vol and Hagrid were same age.....so they're have to pick someone in their late 50's (human years)

They have chosen an 26 year old actress to play a 15 year old ghost...

My conclusion:

Lupos: Mc Greggor

Moody: Stewart or Hopkins

And give Robin Williams a cameo!!

(And let your friend tell to Heyman that I live just over the Canal, so I always would like to help... :music: )

On a side note, I hope WB makes a better DVD this time.

More stuff for the adults like behind the scenes, audio commentary and stuff like that.

On another note, I saw Rush Hour again. THe little kidnapped Asian girl Soo Yung (Julia Hsu); she's really cute. She might make a good Cho Chang. She just needs to learn a British accent.

The cast of "A knight's Tale" could work well too, especially Paul Bettany who I had imagined for Lockhart.

Kradia, who's in the process of getting a new avatar. :)

On a side note, I hope WB makes a better DVD this time.  

More stuff for the adults like behind the scenes, audio commentary and stuff like that.

Hopefully! I can't believe the DVD actually won some prize for it's extras. :)

Marian - who still thinks there'll be something between Harry and Cho.

:) Star Trek V - The Final Frontier (Jerry Goldsmith)