Movies you'd like to be made

Eric_JWFAN

I still haven't seen Femme Fatale - I've heard mixed things about it - but I plan on seeing the Black Dahlia in the theater.

Ted

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only seen Mission: Impossible in a cinema. I'm hoping to catch a showing of The Untouchables sometime this month.

- Marc, who might go see The Black Dahlia too.

I've only seen Femme Fatale theatrically (and that at the last moment). I will not miss future De Palmas at the theatre.

I just looked at the schedule. I'm going to see The Untouchables tomorrow. :wave:

I want James Cameron to get back in his Aliens/Terminator 2/Abyss mode and direct another 2+ hr sfi-fi action movie. I'm not familiar with his upcoming movies, but hopefully he's done with the Titanic/underwater exploration phase.

Spain's claim to the first truly modern novel! It really is a comic masterpiece! It would be quite nice to see a literal adaptation of Quixote at some point, although it would be too long to be a single movie. Actually, as it really is a series of comic scenarios it would make an excellent television series, were it to be given the right budget and the right cast!

There have been many versions of Don Quixote made in the past 60 or so years.

But a literal adaptation? All sequences retained? That's what I'd like to see. Not just the Windmills.

ok this board has lost its friggin mind, first Jaws is nothing special, and now Hannibal(a terrible book and film) is better than Silence of the Lambs.

:wave:

Wasn't The Abyss also underwater exploration? :wave:

Not the likes of which he's been doing. Besides, it was science fiction

Strong words from the guy who likes Superman Returns.

Ted

that would be a fine comeback if Superman Returns had been a critical flop, which is was not.

Hannibal was, for good reason. For some reason its like Alien 3, a fan favorite from Europe.

As a whole The Silmarillon would be impossible to convert into a movie or even series of movies (a TV series might work though) but there are several parts of it that would make superb films, particuarly Beren and Luthien.

I would love to see David McCullough's superb biography of John Adams, the "Forgotten Founder" and a facinating person to study, converted into a biopic.

And the next great sci-fi movie, whatever it may be.

Strong words from the guy who likes Superman Returns.

Ted

that would be a fine comeback if Superman Returns had been a critical flop, which is was not.

Hannibal was, for good reason. For some reason its like Alien 3, a fan favorite from Europe.

Well, should I resort to the Jaws 2 avatar? I think I've done that too much over the years.

Ted

don't mess with my Jaws 2 avatar, regardless of the film, its a great poster with the best tag line of any film. OH and did I mention it has a great score?

Hey, I'm just making a joke. I must have made ten or so comments about that since I've been posting here. I admire your constant defense of it, though. And the film was scored by a very good composer.

Ted

yeah I think John Williams, the composer of Jaws 2, has a fairly respectable following, though I could be wrong.

As a whole The Silmarillon would be impossible to convert into a movie or even series of movies (a TV series might work though)[

A documentary-style (mini) series, I tell you. I've been saying that for years, but for a long time I didn't think it possible. Having seen several seasons of 24, one season of Prison Break and being about two thirds into the first season of Lost, I'm changing my mind though. These series prove two things: You can make (and sell) season-length series that work as a whole, and you can make (and sell) them using a reasonable budget and first rate technology and artists.

but there are several parts of it that would make superb films, particuarly Beren and Luthien.

Not so sure about this. It should make a great opera though.

;) FOTR:CR

but there are several parts of it that would make superb films, particuarly Beren and Luthien.

Not so sure about this. It should make a great opera though.

;) FOTR:CR

The Ainulindale would make an excellent opera/symphony/something like that. I can almost imagine it while reading it.

As a whole The Silmarillon would be impossible to convert into a movie or even series of movies (a TV series might work though)[

A documentary-style (mini) series, I tell you. I've been saying that for years, but for a long time I didn't think it possible. Having seen several seasons of 24, one season of Prison Break and being about two thirds into the first season of Lost, I'm changing my mind though. These series prove two things: You can make (and sell) season-length series that work as a whole, and you can make (and sell) them using a reasonable budget and first rate technology and artists.

With the huge time scale, epicness, and constantly changing characters it could be the ultimate challenge for serialized TV. ;)

I know that The Hobbit has already been named, but I'd really like to see it be made. Peter Jackson does not have to direct it.

There was a comic book done quite some time ago called "Ironwolf" that was just this mess of ideas, but still a lot of fun. Spaceships made of wood, fashion reminiscent of the 1700s, vampires, lion-men, whole planets that looked like the Apple store. I always kind of liked the combination of all these really unrelated things all coming together in this one story about political maneuverings and revenge.

Come to think of it, maybe a "Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser" movie would be fun, too. As long as it was well done.

By Bax, or Delius. :music:

Charles Ives? :P

Oh, and films I'd like to see made...

- something about the way composer Charles Ives heard the world and translated it into music... his tone poems - Unanswered Question, Central Park - and symphonies - Symphony 4 and the incomplete Universe Symphony - are potentially very cinematic;

- Beren and Luthien - already mentioned. Terence Malick should make it... I think he'd make an incredible fantasy romance, if The New World is any indication... I can see other stories from The Silmarillion working well. The problem is that so much of the exposition would have to be foregone so as not to lose people...

- Solace - Scorsese was looking at this as a project for a while... could be interesting.

I, as everone, would to see one of my favorite books translated to the screen - Conferederancy of Dunces, by John Kennedy Toole. But I can't possibly see how they could not screw it up. I can't think of an actor who would be fitting to portray Ignatius, from both a physical and a thespian point of view.

But hey, they managed to adapt the smilarly episodic and character-driven Forrest Gump.

I wonder how a movie version of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency would turn out. Or one of the Discworld novels. No, I'm not saying they should be made (I didn't spend enough time thinking about it to even remotely dare *suggest* that), but I do wonder. ;)

;) The Straight Story (Angelo Badalamenti)

This interesting part of a new interview from Dreams: the Terry Gilliam website:

Dreams: I understand there's been some movement recently with your Quixote script.

Terry Gilliam: Yes, apparently on July 4 it was the end of the legal battle between the production company and the insurance company. It appears that everything is now coming back to us. It's just lawyers resolving all the fine points now. There doesn't seem to be anything that's going to stop that happening. Maybe it's going to be a couple of months before everything is going to be resolved, and until I actually get the thing and see the signed documents, I'm not going to look at the script.