What is the definitive recording of 'Ride of the Valkyries'?

Indiana_Fett

I always hear numerous recordings, but one has always stood out to me. This certain recording usually appears in Nickelodeon cartoons, and I also heard it in the video game, Battlefield Vietnam. I'm sorry I can't be anymore specific, but I would wonder if this is the version used in Apocalypse Now.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the cartoon and game credits - if Georg Solti and the Vienna Philharmonic © 1960s is listed, then you know for certain that it's the version of Valkyries that was also used in Apocalypse Now...

Argh, what was I thinking? Fixed it. And from what I remember (it was a long time ago, and I only saw about half of the movie), Apocalypse has the orchestral version.

For the record: What I've heard of the Solti Ring recordings so far hasn't fully convinced me. I'd go with Karajan; Böhm seems to be great as well (but I've only heard a couple of excerpts).

I thought that the Ride of the Valkyries was an Overture within the opera. Overtures traditionally don't feature the vocalists.

It's the opening of act 3, scene 1, but it's scenic, with the valkyries arriving one by one and, obviously, singing. :) (Of course, bits and pieces appear, both in orchestral and vocal form, throughout this and other operas of the Ring; the riding motiv in particular, which is the rhythmic basis of the piece, is used for other riders as well; nevertheless, the well-known orchestral version is an adaption of this opening of act 3, scene 1).

Is it the same version used in The Blues Brothers?

I can't remember if the soloist is featured in the film.

That one is purely orchestral (and somewhat edited), if I'm not very much mistaken (it's been a few years).

The best version version I've ever heard featured on the soundtrack to an old two player arcade style strategy game called Return Fire. It was on 3DO and PS1. The brass is top-notch and the percussion is excellent.

The Ride exists as two versions, the one most commonly know is the excerpt which is only orchestral. It is

for the most part a reduced orchestration. The part in the opera, which takes the place of the very

popular tradition of putting an orchestral piece at the beginning of the last act, also includes voices.

In my opinion, if you are at all interested in Wagner, or want to consider yourself Wagner wise, you need

only look as far as the Solti Vienna box set. Now almost 45 years old, it has never sounded so good.

There is also a book by the recording enginer, about the whole process. Its called Ring Resounding.

You could spend years studying these 4 operas. Wagner was questionable as a person, but his music

dramas, as he called them, were second to none!

...and we never call anything in Wagner, overture...he prefered Prelude

Have Fun

DHP

@()

Der fliegende Holländer and Tannhäuser both still have an Ouvertüre. :)

And I have to repeat, from what I've heard (various clips from all over the operas), I do consider the Solti recordings overrated. He seems to go for as many moments as possible, while somewhat missing the larger scope. I'm tempted to get the Böhm recording as a second version to complement my Karajan set.

Marian - watching the last minutes of the current Salzburg Don Giovanni on TV.

I've a copy of Bohm's Die Walküre and find that in places (particularly in Act III), this version "flows" much better than Solti's.

From what I gleaned, apparently Leinsdorf & the LSO's account (w/ Birgit Nilsson, preceding her work with Solti) is pretty decent and quite affordable.

One recording I'm just dying to listen to is Testament's recent release of Decca's first stereo recording at Bayreuth in the mid-50s, with Keilberth cond. Pity about the price though...

The Ride exists as two versions, the one most commonly know is the excerpt which is only orchestral. It is

for the most part a reduced orchestration.  The part in the opera, which takes the place of the very

popular tradition of putting an orchestral piece at the beginning of the last act, also includes voices.

In my opinion, if you are at all interested in Wagner, or want to consider yourself Wagner wise, you need

only look as far as the Solti Vienna box set. Now almost 45 years old, it has never sounded so good.

There is also a book by the recording enginer, about the whole process. Its called Ring Resounding.

You could spend years studying these 4 operas. Wagner was questionable as a person, but his  music

dramas, as he called them, were second to none!

Have Fun

DHP

@()

or Vorspiel:P.

solti's set is alright for analog recording. Levines is equally good. both hte levine and solti are vying for the top and now with levine being re-release at a very cheap price, levine may take over solti's spot as the top selling ring.

The Solti set still costs 160 euros at a local store. Yes, you read that right: 160 euros. That's 60 euros more than the Karajan (or the Levine on DVD, for that matter), and more than twice as much as the Sawallisch.

:wave: The Straight Story (Angelo Badalamenti)