My Complete Episode I Score (restored)

GoodMusician

Hey all, I was gonna post this in the prequils thread but I figured it would be better to make a new one as not to distract from the topcis at hand in the original. And with all the talk about complete versions it just seemed apropro to announce it now.

I am nearly finished with my Complete Episode I Score. And when I say Complete... I am NOT kidding. Thanks to the help of Lord Skylard, Cerrabore, and all the team I've been able to create clean intros, outros for nearly every file. Ones that don't are like the source cues... but they are bareable endings.

I'm really proud of this and just wanted to announce that it was nearing completion. I'm still pouring over all the audio rips and it's quite possible more will turn up.

Every file is complete unless otherwise stated. THe only tracks that have DVD rip material are "Anakin Meets Padme" for one second--a clean entrance, and "Victory Celebration (Film Version)." This last maybe 10-20 seconds and the rest is made using the album with some dvd rip of the childrens choir layered over it.

So far the entire 3 disk set is 3 hours and 38 minutes.

Disk 1: (1:19:24)

01) Fox Fanfare 0:21

02) Main Title 1:30

03) Arrival at Naboo 2:38

04) Gas Leak 1:48

05) Droid Fight 1:48

06) Queen Amidala 2:35

07) Queen Amidala (Alt. Orchestration) 2:35

08) Droid Invasion 0:56

09) Droid Invasion Extension (Unused) 0:34

10) Jar Jar/ Swim to Otta Gunga 2:16

11) Gungan High Council 2:04

12) Come Along Jar Jar 1:09

13) Passage Through the Planet Core 1:34

14) Darth Sidious/ Powers Out 1:19

15) Hugh Ouchie/ Attack on Theed 1:23

16) Theed Palace Arrival 2:13

17) You're Under Arrest 1:51

18) Escape from Naboo (Film) 2:07

19) Escape from Naboo (Alt. Percussion Mix) 2:11 *Now Complete

20) Now There are Two of Them 0:59

21) Arrival at Tatooine 2:27

22) A Little Street Music (Source) 1:17

23) Padme Meets Anakin/ Hit the Nose 1:17

24) Desert Winds (Source) 1:28

25) Jar Jar's Run in With Sebulba 1:24

26) Home of Anakin Skywalker 2:39

27) Running out of Time/ At Last 1:07

28) Talk of Podracing 2:55

29) Watt's Deal 0:43

30) Kids at Play 3:21

31) The Racer Roars to Life 1:27

32) Sith Spacecraft 1:56

33) Mos Espa Arena Band (Source) 0:54

34) Watto's Roal of the Die 2:00

35) Sith Probe Droids 0:12

36) Flag Parade 1:25

37) Flag Parade (Alt. Recording) 2:13

38) The Race Begins 1:49

39) Sebulbas Evil Deed 0:53

40) Pod Racing (Original) 2:21

41) Pod Racing (Alternate) 1:53

42) Hail to the Winner 1:13

43) Mos Espa Folk Song 1:13

44) Anakin is Free 5:05

45) It was a Sith 1:47

46) It was a Sith (First Run) 0:48

Disk 2: (1:18:54)

01) Arrival at Coruscant 1:09

02) Arrival at Coruscant (Alt. Ending) 1:11

03) Formal Introductions 2:14

04) To the Senate Building 0:48

05) The Queen and Palpatine 0:41

06) High Council I 0:45

07) High Council II 1:54

08) High Council III (Unused) 0:29

09) The Senate 1:26

10) He is the Chosen One 1:15

11) Moving Things Alone 0:49

12) Senator, This is Your Arena 0:49

13) Wesa Going Home 3:54

14) Nute and Rune Confer with Sidious 0:35

15) To Naboo 2:33

16) Audience with Boss Nass 2:36

17) War Plans 1:01

18) Padme's Plan 1:30

19) Lord Sidious Contacted/ Gungan March (Unused) 1:03

20) Gungan March (Percussion) 0:32

21) Gungan March (Film) 0:35

22) The Battle Begins 0:53

23) The Battle of Naboo I 1:15

24) The Battle of Naboo II 1:33

25) Presentation of Darth Maul 0:48

26) The Duel Begins 0:19

27) Anakin Takes Off 0:46

28) Anakin Takes off (First Run) 0:45

29) Duel of the Fates (Unused) 2:54

30) The Battle of Naboo III 2:18

31) Droid Battle 0:27

32) The Great Duel 1:19

33) The Invisable Wall 0:14

34) Gungan Retreat 0:42

35) Anakin's Crash Landing 0:48

36) Anakin's Crash Landing (Alt. Orchestration) 0:48

37) Qui-Gon's Death 1:31

38) The Caged Animal 0:51

39) Blowing Up from the Inside 1:33

40) Blowing Up from the Inside (Alt. Recording) 1:33

41) Death of Darth Maul 1:40

42) The Queen Confronts Rune/ A Jedi, He will Be 1:51

43) Qui-Gon's Funeral 1:18

44) Victory Celebration 1:27

45) End Credits Intro 0:52

46) Duel of the Fates (Album) 4:15

47) Anakin's Theme (Album) 3:09

48) Intended End Credits Suite 6:16

49) Tone Poem- Darth Maul 0:31

50) Tone Poem- Padme 0:31

51) Tone Poem- Anakin 0:31

52) Tone Poem- Qui-Gon 0:32

53) Tone Poem- Shmi 1:01

54) Duel of the Fates (Instrumental) 4:06 *80% Complete

55) Victory Celebration (Album) 1:27

Disk 3: (1:00:37)

01) Duel of the Fates (Dialogue) 4:21

02) The Adventures of Jar Jar (Royal Scottish National Orch.) 3:44

03) The Flag Parade (Royal Scottish National Orch.) 3:29

04) The Battle for Naboo I (First Run) 1:15

05) The Battle for Naboo II (First Run) 1:32

06) The Battle for Naboo III (Frst Run) 2:14

07) Duel of the Fates (Unkown Alternate) 2:15 *Similar to Ep II vers. Incomplete

08) Listen to the Music (DVD Featurette) 2:59

-John Williams Sony Interviews-

09) Keeping in Touch with George 0:46

10) 20 Years On 1:13

11) Anakin's Theme 0:53

12) Anakin's Theme (Alt. Recording) 2:37 *Not an Interview

13) The Audience is Listening 1:26

14) Capturing a Moment in Time 1:18

15) Community 0:55

16) Composing for a Silent Film 0:56

17) Duel of the Fates 1:00

18) It's All Sanskrit to Me 1:29

19) Under the Tongue Root 1:55

20) Duel of the Fates (Used Film Alternate) 4:00 *Not an Interview

21) Hinting at Things to Come 1:04

22) New Ingredients 0:37

23) Opening the Doors 1:08

24) Great Expectations 0:34

25) A Unique Opportunity 0:43

26) Storytelling 0:42

27) The Working Process 0:51

28) 15 Minutes a Day 0:34

29) The Final CD 1:14

30) The Original Band 1:03

31) The Sum of the Parts 0:56

32) A Weekend Spaceship Film 1:02

33) Augies Great Municipal Band - Film End Credits 9:36

Disk 3 might change some... like the order the interview go in and such. There is also room incase I find more alternates and such. I put the three Battle for Naboo tracks on Disk 3 because they, obviously, wouldn't fit on Disk 2 so I kept them together on Disk 3.

This is all completed, but is subject to change as new material is found. I havn't finished going through Lord Skylarks files yet so there is possibly more stuff.

Until then, let me know what you all think.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, nice job!

One question: could you also post a list with all the alternates, alternate orchestrations, and first runs (what do you mean by first run btw?), and where you found them (in what file, etc.), and perhaps how you edited them?

I have one suggestion: you could opt to put all the alternates on a 'disc 3'. I did that with Return of the Jedi, and it works great. In this way,

- you avoid putting the intended (chrono) flow of the 2CD album on hold, by (1) sequencing alternates or concert suites at the end of the first disc or the beginning of the second, and/or (2) sequencing alternates righty after the original track, which often only repeats the track with minor differences.

- you have a nice album (the third disc) which, with a bit of luck, may work as an 'alternate' listening experience, much the same as the original incomplete album would. Anyway, this worked for RotJ, and I think it may work for TPM too...

I had considered it, but the problem is disk size. I found that once I started moving things around, there came a problem of fitting everything on the disks. I could try again. I mean, originally I only had 2-3 alternates and first runs--which are what the name says, the first run... meaning the orchestra ran the cue and eaither a horn messed up, or it didn't fit or something so that the recording we have now differes in length, articulation, or in its phrasing...

In Simple terms, a different recording of the same track.

But Now that I've discovered so many, It has been in the back of my mind to try doing what you suggested... I'll see what I can do. I just don't want this to turn into 4 disks lol...or maybe I do :-p

EDIT:

And to answer Steffancos, if there is I couldn't find it. I did try looking but couldn't find it. I vaguely remember making one, but I've made so many it's a blur now lol... if there is an old one, just delte it. All that information is wildly out of date compared to this.

And if you're referring to the Prequils thread, I, personally, would like to keep this seperate just because it would get lost in a thread like that.

I find that most of the alternative takes for Episode I are nothing but first drafts with flubbed notes and unrefined percussion. I wouldn't listen to them on a CD.

True, Cerrabore. I was just setting out to include everything that is anything that was recorded and is somehow available.

I also find it very interesting to listen to what they had to do to get the final product... be it removal of percussion tracks, several attempts to record it or what not.

EDIT:

And in the interviews, in the clip called "Capturing A moment in Time" John Williams talks about how he likes to take several recordings of the same cue... that sometimes, "out of all the recordings, one will have a sound... a life to it that the others don't. The third time might appear alive while the others seem still-born."

I just felt it would be interesting to be able to go through the recording process with williams in a way as you listen to this.

Nice list...

Don't count on it Kevin, complete edited tracks have never been put up on the server and I highly doubt Cerrabore or Skylark will start putting them up now...

Will this become available for download just like you did for complete war of the worlds?

This sounds fantastic!

And you did a complete WOTW? I just couldn't believe my favourite cue from the film was about the only one missing from the OST: the one where all the clothes are falling from the sky through the forest.

yea... there were several, but that particular moment had a low angle shot showing a forest with clothes falling from the sky. That was right after the Ferry Scene if I remember right.

As far as for download I hadn't really asked anyone, but I had kinda wondered if maybe it would make it up on the FTP.

If not, I can do it individually.

As of right now, it's not quite finished yet. I'm waiting for some higher quality rips from Lord Skylark before I truly send it out. The track list shouldn't change unless new material is found--or if I decide to move all the first runs/alternates.

I mean, all of the tracks are done and edited... I'm just doing finishing touches and making sure I havn't missed anything.

In Keeping with Forum rules, if you want it, go ahead and PM me... I'll make a lits of requests and get back to you as quickly as I can.

You could always put it up on megaupload.com, too. I think it holds it for 30 days or so, and that way you don't have to get someone to host it.

why not rapidshare.de instead? at least that doesnt require to install spyware, and files are only deleted 30 days after the last access. Yes, I know megaupload has unlimited slots for the States, but elsewhere only limited slots are available for real 'free' downloading without having to install that dumb toolbar of theirs

One last suggestion, goodmusician, but you've heard this one already :P

I would suggest that you mix the tracks/cues for which you don't have either a clean ending or a clean opening (or both). I've heard an early version (thanks very much for that once again :)), and I found that it distracted from an otherwise very nicely done editing and mixing job. I know your objective is to represent the cues as recorded, but you could also make a compromise of course :) present it as recorded except if you don't have clean cues...

I find that most of the alternative takes for Episode I are nothing but first drafts with flubbed notes and unrefined percussion. I wouldn't listen to them on a CD.

Quoth John Williams at Phantom Menace scoring sessions "I'd love to take it that slow, but"

In other words, sometimes the first takes are better performances because they were not forced to match film. Considering the heavy editing, which necessitated tempo changes and ommissions, I could see the first takes being many times better.

Also, Williams would often tacet instruments just in service of the film (asking instruments not to play in order to get out of the way of sound effects and dialogue), while in concert, these pieces would sound better as composed.

Quoth John Williams at Phantom Menace scoring sessions "I'd love to take it that slow, but"

In other words, sometimes the first takes are better performances because they were not forced to match film. Considering the heavy editing, which necessitated tempo changes and ommissions, I could see the first takes being many times better.

Also, Williams would often tacet instruments just in service of the film (asking instruments not to play in order to get out of the way of sound effects and dialogue), while in concert, these pieces would sound better as composed.

There's only one TPM cue that received significant tempo adjustment (as well as a couple cut measures), part of "Theed Palace Arrival." I've used the original take for that version. Otherwise, the alternative takes, with subtle exceptions, only feature additional percussion (mostly snare drum, and bongos or somesuch in one cue). I can honestly say that I prefer the film versions. Besides, most film versions can easily be extracted from the Ultimate Edition in pristine sound quality, whereas some alternative takes have a severe drop in quality due to limited sources.

Ok, I found what I was looking for. I was wrong, it was the LSO running Leah's Theme and they mess up.. its from Episode III...the music feturette.

I was curious though, your track for episode I called "Anakin's Test Alternate".... are you sure that's from Episode I and not from II? It soudns more like something from II. I did a mock edit and found it fit best on the "Arricval at Coruscant" track... not as Anakin's Test... So... anyone have some idea on this one?

And Lotman, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying... what distracted you? The complete file?  

I meant the cues for which you did not have clean openings or endings (even if you have, for example, a clean ending but not a clean opening for the next cue, if you have such cases): the problem is that it's clearly dialed out and in, which distracts enormously from the listening experience. I would, in those cases, deviate from your original purpose and just leave those cues one track, instead of splitting them up. In that case you'd have a really ultimate edition and listening experience :P Anyway, just a heads up :) and to each his own of course.

As far as the alternates not sounding good. It just takes a little effort, but almost all of mine sound as good as the album. You have to find the games that have the files in better quality and not start off with low quality rips. Thanks to Lord Skylard, I was able to do that.  

That's splendid! Any chance you'd perhaps be willing to list them à la Cerrabore's cue list? With precise editing instructions?

oh god...

I didn't keep notes on everything... and a lot of what I used isn't on Cerrabores FTP. Lord Skylard went back and re-ripped everything and sent me the raw files. I worked mostly with those. The files names they have are different than the ftp ones--because Cerrabore wanted to make the editing easier so... file names are practically useless really...

I was hoping however, if not Cerrabore, maybe someone could host the complete score. THat was people would have acess to it. And if there were any edits--heaven forbid--that they didn't like... they'd be free to go back to cerrabores files and edit it from there.

As far as the dialing in and out. I've found clean entrances and endings to almost everything.

I just listened to every track on my edits, and the only tracks that don't have clean endings/entrances are:

"A Little Street Music" Tatooine Source music from before Anakin Meets Padme has slight evidence of the tracks before and after it, but it's bareable. It's pretty much un-noticable unless you really pay attention.

"Mos Espa Band Song" Tatooine Source... that one has a bad fade in I could do nothing really about.

The rest have clean intro/outros including the ever pesky Victory Celebtration. I was able to replicate a clean ending using a fake fade out, the real ending heard in the feturette on the Epiosde I dvd, and with a little creative editing. I have that particular track uploaded to a website. I would post the link to it but I don't think it's allowed to have direct links...

Ah but with clean I mean really clean, like it was already clean in the original cue from which you started editing. Unless you've found more sources from videogames in the meantime, I remember I noticed instances in which you dialed in and out;

it may be 'clean' in the sense that you don't hear music from the other cue but you could still hear that you did a fade in or out from your source. I know this sounds anal now that I type this, sorry for that hehe :) Anyway, you asked for any suggestions and I can only say that I noticed those fades and thought it would benefit if you didn't separate cues when you don't have the actual "clean" intros or outros (without doing a fade in or our yourselves) from other sources.

A pity about those notes though; any chance Lord Skylark might put those rerips on the ftp too?

There's no point.

Lord Skylark and Cerrabore have been incredably helpfull and we, the fanbase, should be ever thankful for their help.

What they've done is create a great help to all those in the fan base who wish to be able to rebuild that which was lost.

I, personally, am extreamly thankfull for what they have done. LS re-ripped the files because he asked if maybe they would be helpfull. Yes some files are on the FTP, but even then, Cerrabore didn't post everything--understandably--because it would have been over 4 gig for everything in their raw rip formats (if not more).

The rips on th FTP are mp3 which is the only way to do it really... The files I got are just the high quality files and all of them... which inclused a lot of stuff that didn't make it on the ftp.

Most of the stuff can be easily extracted from the UE and such... and from my understanding, the ftp files and editing instructions wern't really meant to be used as a place to find alternates and stuff... just a way to be able to replace things lost.

Some things weren't placed on there becuase they were--understandably--neglected such as "Anakins Theme (Alt. Recording)." Most people wouldn't really realize it was different unless they listened to it all the way through and compared the file to the original. And even then, unless they really were as diligent as I've been trying to be, there's little to no reason to include it... so it wasn't added.

Because I had access to all the files--and more time than most people--I have been meticulously searching through everything. It started out as an attempt to find new Episode II material and sprouted into this... After this, I will do what I can with Episode II and again with III. Then I will do Episode V and then VI (both in sore need of SE restoration.)

With all the files I was also able to find things in them including clean endings.

I really can't remember when I sent you files to listen to Lotman :-p, but if/when I did, these are different. Most, if not all, are actual endings. Very few are ones I had to fabricate and arn't very distracting...

but anyways lol...

By the way...you can always zip up all 3 discs seperately and have megaupload or rapidshare host the files...

So when do you think you'll start distrubting this to people who've asked for it...? :)

By the way you asked this in the Prequel resource thread...

I was curious though, your track for episode I called "Anakin's Test Alternate".... are you sure that's from Episode I and not from II?

It is definitely from Episode I and it's possible "Anakin's Test" was recorded differently the first time around but then re-scored to what we hear it in the film and on the Ultimate Edition. It's definitely from Episode I because it is in the game "Obi-Wan" which was released in 2001.

Thanks for the explanation goodmusician! Anyway, count me in if you upload it somewhere - as always, I'm very interested.

By the way...you can always zip up all 3 discs seperately and have megaupload or rapidshare host the files...

So when do you think you'll start distrubting this to people who've asked for it...? :)

When it comes to that, everyone please use the PM system for requests as well.

I think so. My track "Original End Credits Suite" utilizes it.

It's about 30 seconds shorter than the normal Anakins Theme, as it cuts out the part at the end that's nearly identical to the beginning and states the theme again. Instead it goes straight to the ending.

I think it's quite possibly from the original End Credits because that track works well now--not as long.

I do plan to .rar the disks when I'm finished and place them on megaupload--if they'll fit. I may have to split the disks up as recently megaupload added a file size limit. I'll figure it out when it comes time.

And thanks for the info on Trials of Obi-Wan. I guess that would make it have to be from Episode I.

I still have trouble lagistically in how to incorperate it into Anakins Test. I found that you could edit it onto the end of "Arrival at Coruscant" though which is what I did. I will continue to look into this.

I think so. My track "Original End Credits Suite" utilizes it.

Did you use the duel of the fates recording that ends as williams would end the end credits?

I think it was mentioned that piece from the videogame the duel of the fates) contained the rebel fanfare intro of the end credits and there was one note that matched better for anakins theme and then would go the recording of duel of the fates.

I think Williams always placed chronologically the themes in SW movies, so it would make sense.

I not sure what I understand what you mean.

I used the normal end credits intro, then I used the new anakins theme, then I used the "Duel of the Fates" that has all the extra percussion in it--credits from Obi Wan I believe. Is that the one you mean?

If not, what file do you mean?

Also, an update. I've found more first runs and alternates:

Star Wars (First Run)

Moving Along (Alt. Orchestration)

Jar Jar Theme (Partial Alt. Take)

to name a few...

I also realized I neglected to include "Anakins Test" on Disk 2! how dumb right?

So there is that additon as well. Also, under the request of Lord Skylark, I will be renaming the files to match the known JW titles. Ones not known, I will take the liberty to name.

I not sure what I understand what you mean.

I used the normal end credits intro, then I used the new anakins theme, then I used the "Duel of the Fates" that has all the extra percussion in it--credits from Obi Wan I believe. Is that the one you mean?

If not, what file do you mean?

You made the end credits in the same way i was saying.

I think the end credits from obi wan contained the intro with a sustained note that people said could be for anakins theme.

Im eager to hear your version too :baaa:

I do plan to .rar the disks when I'm finished and place them on megaupload--if they'll fit. I may have to split the disks up as recently megaupload added a file size limit. I'll figure it out when it comes time.

again why megaupload? rapidshare keeps the files for the same time (30 days after the last access) and doesnt have limited slots for people outside the US. Filesize limit is 100mb though :baaa:

Burga - refusing to install megaupload's spyware toolbar to enable more slots.

I've never had to install anything from MegaUpload. And they have a 250MB upload limit, and the only download limit they have is one file at a time. Rapidshare only allows you to download about 100MB or so, one file at a time, and once you reach that limit you have to wait 80 minutes before you can start the next download.

I've never had to install anything from MegaUpload.

My country only has 100 free slots. Only way to download when the slots are taken up is to install their toolbar. Rats. :cry:

and once you reach that limit you have to wait 80 minutes before you can start the next download.

I did manage to circumvent this by switching my router off and on. Something to do with dynamic IPs I suppose?

EDIT: GoodMusician, what are Tone Poems?

They were short commercials that showed clips focusing on a certain character, who read a poem. Pretty cool, actually, especially Qui-Gon's and Darth Mauls.

yea... I downloaded the original Bootleg--the one that caused Lucas Art to make the UE.

On it are these "tone poems," which are rips from the commericals. I felt it was a good nod at that, not to mention all together they're like 2 minutes... and there wasn't much space left on disk 2 for anything else so I included them... not to mention I think they're cool little things. Anakins always makes me tear up, and Qui-Gon's is slowly becomming my philosophy on life lol.

Darth Mauls is really cool, and Shmi's is very heart wrenching... so I leave them in.

Good to hear I did the edit right lol. It works well. I can upload it by itself though and send you a link if you'd like Luke Skywalker, and you can let me know what you think now?

Heh...

Also, thanks to Lord Skylark, I've now come into possession of a recording of JW introduction and conducting of "Flag Parade," "Anakins Theme," and a choirless "Duel of the Fates." I need to clean them up but it looks like those will also make an interesting addition.

Will let you know

They're live, but I don't know where from. It seems to have been a very intimate recording as there isn't much room sound in the recordigns and the people who clap and such near the end seem to be sitting maybe feet away from the performers...

Just in case you're interested: I should be able to find some place to upload this score so everybody can download without any limitations. I have a lot of webspace that I could use. :)