My Complete Episode I Score (restored)

GoodMusician

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The things that are alternates are no brainers. Like Qui-Gons Death for example... the middle section is different than on the UE. So you have two versions of that. One is an alternate.

Anakin's Crash Landing may very well be a first run, but the orchestratsion in the beginning (the flutes and all) are different than the normal release. They are actually tracked to that alternate of Qui-Gon's death.

Also, simply comparing the tracks is one way to do it. Things that are first runs or alternate takes are named such because there is some difference in performance between them and the originals.

I'm sorry if this has been brought up before but why did you put alternate tracks together with final versions in the main body of the score instead of on discs 3 and 4?

It's very bothersome to listen to pretty much the same piece of music twice.

Ok,just listened to disk 1.

1)Personally,I PREFER when the cues are separated(like the Droid Invasion) instead of edited togheter.So I have no problem with the way you arranged the cues.It' amazing that you found all the clean endings and openings.It gives me a sense that the score is complete.

2)I didn't find any jarring or annoying edits.

3)I agree with Stefancos above post,but I will choose which version of which cues I want in the main body of the score.

Question(maybe it's been answered but I didn't see):Does this set use the latest best sounding sources,like the new cracked Battlefront 2 cues?

K.M.

Aaargh.Is it just me or the pages of the MB load very slowly right now?

I ocassionally have that problem too...

As far as including them, it was because originally I wanted to keep this a 2 disk set. When that was no longer an option, I tried for 3... but then I ended up with 4...go figure.

I included them because it's not hard to hit the next button and because it's my score edit. I'm letting you all have it but if you don't like it, you can change it the way you want it to be.

My other problem is that in the past, I've put all the alternates or film edits or what have you on a seperate disk. Then people PM me like I'm some fast food chain "Can I have disk 1 and 2...and some of the tracks from 3..."

My answer to that is "No. You get it all, or you don't ask for it."

Seems mean, but I'm not going to keep track of what *I* am sending people. Too much work.

So, by all means, restructure it the way you want them to be... but I did this because I like it like this.

And to answer your question, it uses everything. I had the cracked battlefront 2 files almost a month ago. We held off on the announcement until I, or Cerrabore, could go through them and put them on the FTP so that people woudln't swamp Lord Skylark or myself for the links of the files so they could download them. SO yes, it uses everything.

I have yet to listen to the CDs, but I'm pretty excited. We now have a pretty complete (or is it totally complete, to our knowledge?) release of a prequel score! And it's a nice big 4 Disc set. Too bad there's not enough available music to greatly expand AOTC past 1 CD or ROTS past 1 and a half.

theres' still this piece of unreleased music I have on a file(forgot where it came from),it's somekind of transition on Coruscant that might go at the end of "Senator,this is Your Arena".It's really cool and I haven't heard it on you set.

K.M.

hehe... I havn't run into the first run of "Main title" In battlefront II... I got it from Galactic Battlegrounds, but it's quite possibly in both hehe...

After hearing it i see its the Battlegrounds file. Now i think the BFII file sounds different than that :)

I think that i know where the 'unknown insert' goes. Its from AOTC, when Mace windu ignites his lightsaber on the arena! :D No, really, could it be for the surrender of Gerenal Jar Jar in the Battle?

KM i think what you say its on disc 3 Crisis on Naboo alternate ending. Question about this piece: is it from a pre-episode II game? It sure sounds like across the stars is going to make an appearance.

The unknown insert is from Episode I though... it's only used in II, but from episode I because it's from a game that came out before Episode II.

I meant the Crisis on naboo alternate finale. ;)

I was joking about Mace windu music.

But what aboutit meant for Jar Jar's surrender as i mentioned?

It's possible but no real way to know... I mean, I could see it as that track.

The placement of it on disk 3 is in that area chronologically speaking... but it could be... I thought perhaps it was an insert for Maul's death...

Again, thanks very much for the hard work Goodmusician!

1)Personally,I PREFER when the cues are separated(like the Droid Invasion) instead of edited togheter.So I have no problem with the way you arranged the cues.It' amazing that you found all the clean endings and openings.It gives me a sense that the score is complete.  

Actually they're not all 'clean' endings and openings, I think, a bunch of them only sounds clean because there's a fade in or out. I think I would have liked it better if he would have separated the tracks only if there was an original clean opening or ending available, and didn't split the rest "artificially". But hey, no complaints from me otherwise, it's his edit and he makes the choices.

Nice job!

My other problem is that in the past, I've put all the alternates or film edits or what have you on a seperate disk. Then people PM me like I'm some fast food chain "Can I have disk 1 and 2...and some of the tracks from 3..."

My answer to that is "No. You get it all, or you don't ask for it."

So then I can't just get Discs 1 and 2? ;)

I have it marked as "High Council I (Alternate)"... so I'm not sure what your talking about...

You can just get disks 1 and 2 :roll: I'm just saying I'm not gonna send people links to 1 and 2 and then only a few tracks from disk 3 or 4... If you want them, download the disks... that's what I mean.

And yes, many of the fade outs are artifical... but if you want them to be the way they had been, then listen to the UE.

I have it marked as "High Council I (Alternate)"... so I'm not sure what your talking about...  

Well, the synths in the alternate correspond to the notes played by the orchestra in HC II, so I assume it's an alternate for HC II rather than I.

Awesome, absolutely awesome. So the unknown fanfare goes to Jar Jar's surrender? I'm arranging it chronologically and putting the alternates and concert versions on another disc. (See, no point in complaining, just get them and fix them however you like). Great job, GM! This is amazing.

Someone PM'ed me his version of the complete TPM score. I've listened to the Battle Of Naboo sequences and I really don't see what the big deal is. It's really not that different from the TPM:UE IMHO. I think I'll just stick with the UE because it's the same music and a little better quality.

Listening to The Main Title thru the Invasion of Naboo sequence.  I don't hear much difference except some parts seem too long.

yet you mentioned The Battle of Naboo as an example.

That part of the movie is heavily edited and tracked in the movie and pretty different if you add the unreleased music.

Disc 1 of the UE is mostly unedited, except some little loops and tracked or unused segments.

Kind of sad that someone perfers the U.E. over the Intended Edition.

Don't get me wrong I was like Demodex once and didn't like anything else except the Ultimate Edition until Cerrabore showed me "the light", now I hate the U.E.

I guess Demodex isn't as "musically enclined" (are those the words I want?) as the rest of us when it comes to this score...

There is a major difference for the Battle Of Naboo...

In the Ultimate Edition it's chopped up to hell with DOTF cut and tracked through out the music and other parts from other cues tracked and cut up into places where they shouldn't be...

Wish we had a slapping emoticon... :)

But it is the real score that's in the film. I guess if the unedited version is what I've been listening to for the last 5 years then I'm sure the UE would sound weird to me. However now it's the opposite.

So you're just not interested in hearing new music or new versions? So you wouldn't want an expanded ROTS or AOTC because new music isn't what you've been listening to for years?

thats one cue of the battle.

Just think, the UE is comprised of 2 discs, CD 1 about 57:30 minutes long and CD 2 63 mins leaving out duel of the fates dialogue version, but having the tracked and looped music in both.

With Goodmusician's cues arranged in its film order (not counting alternates or fist runs) you can make CD 1 about 69 mins and two about 61 mins.

Thats 10 minutes more than the UE. But If you substract the loops and tracked music from the UE you more and more difference in lenght.

Now add just the alternates and first runs different enough to be added to the CDs and you have more. Maybe this does not fit two CDs already.

Our of small things you have a completer work, BTW will all the UE music included (with its quality).

yea...I used the UE... granted I may have tweaked the sound a bit but I did that for everything...eaither to clean it... broaden it... liven it... or what have you...

I mean, it's up to you what you want to listen to, but this is about as complete as they come--if not more so :-p

As far as it being High Council II's alternate... I actually had it orignally as that, but I changed it because Cerrabore had it written in his edits that it was High COuncil I's alternate.

I can see what you're saying, but I think that what may be more important to notice is the length. The length is very close to High Council I's length. If it were the alternate for that, and then High Council II came in latterin the film, using a similar motif...then that would make sense...

Change it if you'd like... but I'm gonna leave it because there's no way to know. In fact, we don't know WHAT it is.

There are about 6 instances where that cue is used in video games or in the albums. Most notably is when Nute and Rune contact Lord Sidious in the UE edit.

Then you have another version which creates this almost... cyclone effect where the notes echo around you... and then there's the clean one...

There are also other edits of it... but it's really hard to say what it is... but the best guess is "High COuncil I" Alternate.

I'd considered renaming the unknown insert as Jar Jar's Surrender... but it occurs to me that it could also be used for when Darth Maul kicks Obi-Wans lightsaber down the pit... I dunno why but I feel like that is almost more likely...

I'll have to check on that though...

So you're just not interested in hearing new music or new versions?  So you wouldn't want an expanded ROTS or AOTC because new music isn't what you've been listening to for years?

No, moron.

I would love an expanded ROTS and AOTC so long as they included the music as is in the films.

Someone PM'ed me his version of the complete TPM score.  I've listened to the Battle Of Naboo sequences and I really don't see what the big deal is.  It's really not that different from the TPM:UE IMHO.  I think I'll just stick with the UE because it's the same music and a little better quality.

:)

Anyone else notice that in the film, right before it cuts to the track I named "Wesa Going Home," right after Amidala walks out of Palpatines office to return to Naboo, right when the strings start there's a cough... out of nowhere...the only person in camera is Palpatine... but there is a very blatant...if not obvious cough... from the orchestra no less...

Also, a little latter in the track "Wesa going home," you hear a low 'boom' (3:05ish) which isn't present in the film. This leads me to believe the film version is a different take of the same track.

Sounds cool, have missed this thread till now, anyone care to give me a PM to the party? I would be grateful.

Good work threadmaster.

I'm hearing some artifacts (such as those introduced by digital noise reduction ) in some of the tracks.Are you sure you didn't "tweak" the sound too much with all sorts effects?

K.M.

I really didn't play that much with the tracks... where are you hearing problems. I'm sure they are from the original files. People had mentioned hearing little noises in some tracks, but it's because I've raised the volume and made the music far more present... so any little noise is heard very clearly...

what moments do you mean...

I love the hard work and dedication that went into the making of this set. Great job, GM!

As the curator of the original "definitive" website on the score to TPM (which is hardly definitive anymore, haha) I wanted to point out a few things I noticed:

- I think an A/B comparison of the last chord of CD1/tk07 (Droid Invasion) with the last chord of CD3/45 (Unknown insert) shows that the former track uses the later track in edited form.

- the new audio clip that, according to Cerrabore, proves how "Laser Fight March" is supposed to end sounds to me like an edit made by the game designers and not an accurate presentation of what JW intended. However, it still sounds neat and works until we have a more definitive presentation.

- I'm not convinced that the alternate end credits have any basis in fact, but it IS a neat idea.

THanks again GM for such a great set.

I really didn't play that much with the tracks... where are you hearing problems. I'm sure they are from the original files. People had mentioned hearing little noises in some tracks, but it's because I've raised the volume and made the music far more present... so any little noise is heard very clearly...

what moments do you mean...

Well,I noticed it when I compared the file I sent you containing the alternate ending of Crisis on Naboo to the one on your set on disk 3.My file seems cleaner and more free of compression artifacts.There's also some in the Original End Credits.I'm not sure if this is due to the nature of the original game files,or tweaking an already compromised source of music.For example I usually avoid trying to alter the sound of a 128k MP3 in Magix Audio Lab (stereo widening,presence...)because It usually sounds worse afterwards.

But it's just a detail...I'm also listening right now on very revealing headphones.

Mark

Well, I did mine in headphones but they are, granted, not high end... but definately the best I've found yet--and Ive tried.

I do use magix to edit my files... so that may be why you recognize the sound change. I've tried to make the tracks, sound more like a cd would sound.

Also, as for your alternate ending for Crisis on Naboo...I didn't use your file...I used a different one whcih may explain it a bit...I don't remember if it was better, worse, or the same quality as yours... but in all honesty, there is only so much yuou can do with some of these files.

the new audio clip that, according to Cerrabore, proves how "Laser Fight March" is supposed to end sounds to me like an edit made by the game designers and not an accurate presentation of what JW intended. However, it still sounds neat and works until we have a more definitive presentation.

It sounds fine to me. I was only talking about the 0:22 mark. After that, it segues right into a different cue.

I'm working on a very detailed review of this set which I hope to complete in a few days time. It will probably come across as very critical, but I want to make sure the truth of the TPM score isn't obscured. Think critique, not criticism.