John Williams Sinfonietta for Wind Ensemble

GoodMusician

I've seen that and haven't been able to find the CD anywhere online. I have the entire score, as well as audio of the first two movements, but no audio for the third. :D

Sweet Zombie-Jesus I would like to play that!

I wonder how much the sheet music costs, and even if its in print anymore.....

I have the original lp and the printed score. Great stuff, if you ask me.

I was composed under comission for MCA Music Publishing, as they wanted new band music.

As for the cd, only saw it at eBay a couple of times.

That's the piece with the early version of The Knight Bus?

K.M.

And 'The knight bus' must be pretty hard to play, I would gather.

Not surprising with a piece called "Sinfonietta" though. As a clarinetist in my High School Wind Band, the hardest piece I have ever played was a piece named 'Sinfonietta' by Ingolf Dahl. There is a nightmarish 40 second soli for the Clarinet section that still makes my blood run cold even today just thinking about it!

Just from glancing at the score, I'm guessing the whole Knight Bus thing refers to the last movement, which I haven't heard. Hey Miguel, is there any chance you could please send me audio of the last movement?

Just from glancing at the score, I'm guessing the whole Knight Bus thing refers to the last movement, which I haven't heard. Hey Miguel, is there any chance you could please send me audio of the last movement?

Yes, sure i can. Better yet, I'll put the whole thing on-line ;-)

Yes, sure i can. Better yet, I'll put the whole thing on-line ;-)

Awesome! Will that be on your website, or will there be another link?

I have it labeled as the 1st movemwnt.It's almost exactly the same as Knight bus with different orchestrations(14 seconds in to the end.)

K.M.

From that site:

ったフレデリック・フェネルが1952年に設立したイーストマン・ウィンド・アンサンブル。65年より第3代ディレクターに就任したドナルド・ハンスバーガーによって演奏レヴェル、レパートリー共に飛躍的な進歩を遂げると同時に、様々なレーベルへの録音も行ってきました。中でもドイツ・グラモフォンへの録音(当アルバム)はペンデレツキ、黛敏郎、ジョン・ウィリアムズのオリジナル曲を収めた意欲的な1枚といえます。J.ウィリアムズの「シンフォニエッタ」は純粋な吹奏楽のための作品で、映画音楽に聴かれる作風とは異を成すもので一聴の価値

And that means.....? 8O

Title: [penderetsuki]: The pittsburgh overture, 黛 Toshiro: Music of sculpture, Williams: [shinhuonietsutarebiyu] for blowing ease is written        1,000 (including tax) 952 (tax removal) domestic board CD sale day: 2005/10/05 labels: Tower Records Universal Vintage Collection group quantity: 1 standard product turns: There is a PROA-24 stock, (2006/08/2221: 47 presently) standard to dispatch: The day ~2 day               The number of points: 1            Standard to concerning dispatch help Ordering stock        Worldwide first CD conversion! The name board where [hansubaga] &EWE is not known!  The eastman window ensemble which [hurederitsuku] [hueneru] which last year dies from establishes in 1952. When performance [revueru], both repertory rapid progress is accomplished with [donarudo] [hansubaga] which is inaugurated as the 3rd generation director from 65 simultaneously, also sound recording to the various labels went. Sound recording to German [guramohuon] (this album) [penderetsuki], 黛 Toshiro, you can call enthusiastic 1 you supply the original tune of John Williams's even among them. As for J. Williams's “[shinhuonietsuta]” with the work for pure blowing ease, the style which is heard in movie music being something which forms uncommonness, there is a value of one listening.  * Worldwide first CD conversion        * Details  <Number>  [penderetsuki]: The pittsburgh overture 黛 Toshiro: Music Williams of sculpture: [shinhuonietsuta] for blowing ease  <Performance>  [donarudo] [hansubaga] (direction), Eastman window ensemble  <Sound recording>  1969 May

• 7 years later...

I was listening to this again just now, and for the first time it struck me how much in common it has with the music he wrote for Irwin Allen series like LOST IN SPACE at the time. It's a pretty brutal affair -- especially the last movement. This really deserves a proper recording. The bootleg-type sound on his ancient LP doesn't do it justice.

I really enjoy this first piece. As a trombonist, there's some really juicy parts here. The first movement, which JW reused in The Fury, reminds me a bit of Shostakovich's 5th symphony.

• 10 months later...

I really enjoy this first piece. As a trombonist, there's some really juicy parts here. The first movement, which JW reused in The Fury, reminds me a bit of Shostakovich's 5th symphony.

Reused in THE FURY? That didn't occur to me before you said it. I'll have to go and compare now.

By the way, could anyone confirm or deny that the Japanese CD has improved sound over the old DG LP release?

You don't hear the connection between Sinfonietta for Wind Ensemble 3rd Movement and The Knight Bus??????? it's so blatant!

Listen to them both back to back right now!

Okey, a little bit. But I think it has more in common with the other jazz-inspired concert works (and tv work) he did at the time.

There's surely a lot in common here with his TV work of the mid-late 1960s. I think he composed this piece to really try out ideas and solutions he was experimenting with already in that period. The Harry Potter connection is more of a reminiscence that subconsciously popped out in his mind.

Reused in THE FURY? That didn't occur to me before you said it. I'll have to go and compare now.

Yup, check out the beginning of "Gillian's Power."

Yup, check out the beginning of "Gillian's Power."

Crap, does that mean I have to import the 'film score' part of the Varese 2CD to my iTunes again? I removed it because I never listen to it; only the rerecording. Or is the cue in question also available on the rerecording?

• 1 year later...

Did anyone manage to pick up the CD reissue of this rare DG album? I'm curious about the difference in sound quality. I have an ancient, muffled LP-to-CD transfer that probably sounds much worse than what the original LP did.

I always found the LP to sound pretty well. The transfers floating around, not so much.

The Japanese reissue sounds like a recording from the era it was made in. But surely better than the vinyl transfers I've heard.

26 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

I always found the LP to sound pretty well. The transfers floating around, not so much.

The Japanese reissue sounds like a recording from the era it was made in. But surely better than the vinyl transfers I've heard.

Oh yes, I'm confident that the original LP sound is MUCH better than the file transfer I have. But only, like, three people in the whole world have that LP. ;) 

This LP may have been reissued on CD in 2005, but it remains pretty rare to me....

And I have never listened to it!

That's unusual for a DG recording, no? Maybe Universal forgot it in their reissue plan!

p_2530063.jpg

Krzysztof Penderecki: Pittsburgh Overture / Toshiro Mayuzumi: Music With Sculpture / John T. Williams: Sinfonietta For Wind Ensemble (1968, Deutsche Grammophon, 2530 063; Eastman Wind Ens./Hunsberger)

John T. Williams: Sinfonietta For Wind Ensemble.

(Reissued in 2005, Tower Records Vintage Collection No. 8 [Japan], PROA-24)

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know what this is going for these days, either LP or CD? I'm not sure where to look, or what the prices are at the moment. I've been fine with my 'digital version' for two decades now, but I'm always curious to see if it is -- at all -- possible to get this in original, physical format to a decent price.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2019 at 2:18 PM, Thor said:

Does anyone know what this is going for these days, either LP or CD? I'm not sure where to look, or what the prices are at the moment. I've been fine with my 'digital version' for two decades now, but I'm always curious to see if it is -- at all -- possible to get this in original, physical format to a decent price.

I just found the CD in Japan for $15.50 (only 1 copy). I asked one of my co-workers in our Tokyo office to get it for me (it was not allowed to be shipped to the US). She happened to have a trip planned to HQ, so she dropped it off with another co-worker who brought it to me in Seattle!

I also have the LP which I bought on eBay in the fall for $10 in very good condition.

I actually think my rip and click/denoise of the LP sounds brighter than the CD for some reason. I am not sure why that is given the LP is capped at 12 kHz or so and the CD shows signal up to 20 kHz as would be expected.

In any case, I actually like all the pieces on the album.