Elfman's Batman Returns

Pelzter

It seems that this score generally has a bad rep. I've never understood this! Personally I think it's far superior to the original Batman score, which has always seems a bit to "carnevaly" for me, a bit too silly. Batman Returns on the other hands, is an amazingly beautiful, dramatic piece of work. I think that "Finale, part I" is hand down the best cue Elfman has EVER written, aside from the main Batman Theme (which is utilised much better in Returns IMO).

Thoughts on this?

--Pelzter

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the thematic material and the first 2 and last 2 tracks are simply awesome. Penguin's theme is wonderfully tragic.

The main titles version of the main theme is amazing, totaly different from the the original, and provides us with wonderful renditions of the main Batman musical phare (like the one on the violins).

I agree with you. It is definitely a more mature approach that Elfman took for his second outing with the Dark Knight, and on a personal note Batman Returns was one of the first soundtracks I ever owned [on tape I might add] and that I really listened to.

'Selina's Transformation' is a stand-out track on the album for me - got to love those high strings.

Batman Returns is one of the greatest sequel scores ever written. Elfman took a lot of chances with this score. It is so removed from the atmosphere and sound of the first score, with pretty much one theme uniting the two scores. As Merkel pointed out, The Penguin's music is grandly tragic and although the action isn't heavy, the Final Confrontation cue blows me away each time. This is one of my very favorite Elfman scores. It's like Batman meets Edward Scissorhands, and the crazy thing is that Elfman made it work!

Ted

I agree; it has always been most unfairly criticized.

There are plenty of great new themes, lots of variety, and it's very nicely orchestration; a highly enjoyable, rich score, and an excellent sequel score that trends new ground.

I think it suited the movie perfectly.

BTW, Batman Returns is a great movie. I didn't realize this till a couple months ago, when a female friend explained it to me. If you get around all the hype, and don't think of it as a Batman movie, it's really, really good. Even better if you watch it with subtitles--amazing dialogue!

Great movie, awful Batman movie.

Thats pretty much spot on. The characters are just too different from their comic book counterparts to be a called a good Batman adaptation. If you treat the film as a Tim Burton movie then I think you'll see it as the great movie that it is.

NO! Burgess Meridith is Mickey Goldmill, gardarnit!

Or the old perv dad in Grumpy Old Men.

Actually, now that you think of it... you guys are right. Batman Returns was always a terrible Batman movie to me - other than the opening part of the movie which I LOVED... but it seems like the movie itself was good if you take it away from Batman continuity. Hmm... I had never looked at it that way! Great point, Oswald Cobblepots! :mrgreen:

I prefer a few cues but always loved the original best. I'll listen to it more and see if I can get hooked... only a few tracks have hooked me so far over the years.

-Chris, who agrees with KM that the Batman Returns opening is the best performance of the Batman theme.

Great movie, awful Batman movie.

I always thought Burton was never interested in the Batman character. If the first Batman could have perfectly been titled Joker, naming the second one Batman Returns was just a lie. He almost didn't return, and he wasn't that much in the first place! ;)

I love both the movie and the score.

I am very fond of this score. I listen to the album far more than I do to the original (although the original does have specific tracks that I listen to tons, like 'Descent into Mystery'). It's a very fun score.

I think the Batman Returns is the more interesting score, myslf. They're both amazing, but the Penguin's theme is much stronger than anything signifying the Joker.

I liked it, but didn't love it, except for Michael Keaton, the best of the movie Batman's IMHO.

Keaton and Bale were both excellent. Kilmer was acceptable but not as good, and Clooney... oh man, I'd rather watch a 70-year old Adam West re-creating the campy TV show for 2 hours than that atrocity!

I've alwas loved the 1989 Batman and Batman Begins the best. The others all seemed to miss the mark a bit.

Nice score, but the performance and the recording ambience pale in comparison to Elfman's original Batman. The McNeely rerecording does it some justice.