JOhn Williams Orchestral Rentals

Frosty

Greetings all.

I was wondering if anyone had any information on how to rent Williams orchestral material. I have tried Theme and Variations (their Williams rental list is very small and dwindling). I have looked at the Warner/Chapelle sight and it only gives info on how to license Williams pieces (from a list of about 700). I am looking for concert works and film works that are available only through rental. I have JW Signature Editions etc. Just info on how to rent his pieces.

Thanks to all

Frosty

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if you'd be able to borrow from the Boston Symphony's Music Library if you had a REALLY good letter of intent.

Also, Lucks Music Library (www.lucksmusic.net) has a good John Williams page, and there are several things that you can rent, although mostly arrangements.

renting boston library is possible. i know people who do visit libraries and stuff like that. but u need a good intent. or good connections.

Last time i went in the Jo ann Kane Library i held in my hand the entire empire strikes back notated score! (there are two copies of it there :) And the time before that I walked in to look to my left and saw the pencil orchestrated score of escape from venice. it is truly the coolest place in the earth.

Last time i went in the Jo ann Kane Library i held in my hand the entire empire strikes back notated score! (there are two copies of it there :)  And the time before that I walked in to look to my left and saw the pencil orchestrated score of  escape from venice. it is truly the coolest place in the earth.

Sounds like the coolest place on earth! Hell, forget multiple times - I'd be lucky if I get to go there once. (I assume its buried beneath the bowels of Los Angeles, perhaps?)

I'd also be interested in viewing some of Williams' orchestral arrangements from the BSO Library (or wherever else) - Hooray for Hollywood, which I absolutely love; Anything Goes; violin music from Cinema Serenade; Fiddler on the Roof; By the Beautiful Sea, which features a great cameo of the Jaws Theme. Have I left out any others?

there are some pieces at chester novello for rental, unfortunately only few. If Williams ever wrote for Disney it might be rentel at heelymusic.

Lucksmusic has the comercial "cheap" arrangements that are out of print for rental.

If sombody has more sources than the mentioned above, TNV and the signature edition, Please post here.

All well and good. Thanks for the responses. Where do orchestras rent any of his concertos? Fanfares? Concerts pieces? They have to get them somewhere. I know that the Empire Suite can be rented through Rodgers and Hammerstein, but where do the orchestras that "cover" Williams pieces (City of Prague for example) get them from?

I'd guess they get them from the studios' archives.

Some things (bassoon concerto, horn concerto) seem to be available through "Marjer Publishing", but how to contact them I haven't found out...

Even if I had the proper connections, I'd stay away from City of Prague resources. They use many arrangements that try to sound like the authentic Williams version, but are clearly lacking (their Jaws and 1941 arrangementa are just horrible)

Why would Williams write a different arrangement for Prague than the one he uses with the Pops, etc.? And personally I'm not a fan of anything that Cacavas has done, especially his Williams arrangements.

Why would Williams write a different arrangement for Prague than the one he uses with the Pops, etc.? And personally I'm not a fan of anything that Cacavas has done, especially his Williams arrangements.

This arrangement was done back in 1976 (I think). It was not done specifically for the Prague orchestra.

Well, either way, that particular Jaws arrangement sucks. The tonalities don't sound correct when the violins join the "da-da" figure (at that same point, the basses are playing just the downbeat and not the "da-da" rhythm, which differs from Williams authentic score), the woodwind/xylophone accents in the first section are different notes, and the woodwind feature in the middle of the piece is not as Williams wrote it in the original score, which is why it would be so surprising that Williams himself would have been personally involved with such an arrangement.