2006 so far

Morlock

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it's a decent film. Or maybe I should say good film with some dead spots.And it seems so immature when compared to the graphic novel. Alan Moore's adaptations seem to have some curse upon them. They hust can't make them good enough. I fear of what they might do to Watchmen. That simply won't work. It can't. It's too damn complex for a two hour film. But, in the meantime, Vendetta is at least watchable, so we shoul be grateful for that.

Karol

Well, if you recognize some picture, say, JAWS as a great one (or masterpiece), then you may realize that calling Vendetta watchable is not that harsh at all. We should get our priorities straight!

Karol

"At least watchable"? I thought it rocked.

I totally agree.

Alan Moore's adaptations seem to have some curse upon them. They hust can't make them good enough.

I am unfamiliar with Moore's work, aside from League of Extraordinary Men, but as films, I think the biggest curse is bad British accents. V for Vendetta is an excellent film, suffering in the Natalie Portman scenes. So is From Hell, suffering from a bad accent by Jonny Depp and a miscast Heather Graham.

Vendetta as a film I thought was terrifically well done. I didn't find it immature, I liked the corrolations to recent history and current events, and I thought it had a wonderfully theatrical feel to it. All the male roles were extremely well cast, with spot-on performances. I can't imagine a different film version of the same story and characters being much better.

Well, if you recognize some picture, say, JAWS as a great one (or masterpiece), then you may realize that calling Vendetta watchable is not that harsh at all. We should get our priorities straight!

I'm not following you here...

I felt that some parts weren't moving as smoothly as they could, for example the whole plot about the goverments' dirty deeds from the past. And yes, practically everything is allright with it. but somehow... I may be spoiled by the graphic novel, which I very much recommend to you.

Karol

I think he's saying that because Vendetta is not as good as a great film like Jaws, calling it watchable is not that harsh. I don't undrstand the reasoning behind this statement, though, as most films are not as great as Jaws, yet many of them are far better than merely 'watchable'.

I felt that some parts weren't moving as smoothly as they could, for example the whole plot about the goverments' dirty deeds from the past. And yes, practically everything is allright with it. but somehow... I may be spoiled by the graphic novel, which I very much recommend to you.

I thought it was rather smooth, except for the fact that I came to the conlusion Stephen Rea did much earlier in the film. I actually loved practically everything that had to do with the governement, past or present. I loved how it echoed other governments, past and present. I thought the way V poisoned Cready against the Chancellor was superbly handled, it was positvely delicious.

I find most films to be unwatchable or better yet, not worth watching. Vendetta was decent, so it's not that harsh after all.

Karol

Than you should probably get to know your film tastes a little better.

Morlock- Who makes it a habit to only watch films he'll think he'll like to some extent

Morlock2- Who thinks just about every film has something good in it

Morlock3- Who is also almost never sorry he's seen a film, no matter how bad it is. The bad films are out there for one to be able to truely appreciate the great ones. Plus, it's fun to venomously bash a film.

I like your style, Marc. M:I2 is one of the few films that I would classify as one of the worst films ever ever made. BTW, to date, that goes for only three other films that I remember: Scary Movie 2, Dune, and The Piano. Those are films I hated that are iconic in my mind.

I guess the 2006 score I enjoy the most so far is X-Men 3.

I just love this kind of score, totally ridiculous, overblown like a supercharged Double Whopper with extra cheese and bacon.

The big new theme is the Dark Phoenix theme, which sounds like it's from a Silvestri score about Mummies.

The other 2 themes are the Freedom Theme and the Main Theme, both are sufficient but neither are particulary memorable. (for the main theme the Superman ostinato with supercharged orchestration pretty much drowns out Powell's new theme, and when it is audible it starts strong but doesn't really go anywere)

This is however...not a problem because the great thing about this score are not the themes but the stuff happening in the background. This is a far cry from your simplistically orchestrated MV score when 90 players and 90.000 synth samples are playing the same notes at the same time. The percussion in this score is bonkers, the flutes go stark-craving mad and the brass section seems to think it's doing an Elfman score. and all at the same time.

Just listen to the cheesy chimes and flutes opening the CD, it's totally cheesy and ridiculous and I like it that way!

The main treat of this CD is the Dark Phoenix Theme, it's not really original, nor particulary complex or well developped in any way, but the way Powell builds to the big statements of the theme (most notably in Dark Phoenix Tragedy and Phoenix Rises) is superb, I've selden hear a climax set up so well in recent years (the last time I think was in the LOTR scores, and before that, the finale of The Final Conflict)

It has a few flaws though, it sound a bit temp tracky at times, one can easily hear the Elfman and John Barry infuences, but a lot of the action writing sounds like it's been patterned around Silvestri's similarly daft Van Helsing as well.

But the score doesn't have the personality of Silvestri's mad-capped masterpiece, nor the epic-ness of let's say John Debney's LSO-on-speed sound that Cutthroath Island had!

Still Powell is still fairly new in this game so he and his 54 orchestrators should be commrended for breaking away from the Zimmer-clone simplicity and produce something that will shatter your eardrums if you are not carefull, but leave you with a big grin on your face.

8 out of 10 points!

V for Vendetta was surprisngly good, but the score didn't stand out at all. Was there one? The only music I remember from the movie is the 1812 Overture.

This has been a piss-poor year for music all around.

I gave Vendetta another listen recently. I still haven't identified any themes yet, but it's still very interesting and layered music to me.

The Dominoes Fall particularly impressed me.

And I'm disappointed at how many people think Lady in the Water is 'ok'. Erik Woods called most of it boring on Cinematic Sound in fact (although he preceded his review by taking two minutes to describe how the movie bombed, so there may be some prejudice). I'm only just getting bored of parts of it.

As I said, this will probably change once I see the film, but, at this point, it sounds like a typical JNH/Shyamalan score. The previous three all were very unique and also seem to be far more consistant on the album than this one.

I guess the 2006 score I enjoy the most so far is X-Men 3.

I just love this kind of score, totally ridiculous, overblown like a supercharged Double Whopper with extra cheese and bacon.

When you don't treat it so seriously it can be quite fun, yes.

Karol

The only scores I bought in 2006 are Munich (only because it wasn't available until this year in Austria) and Witches of Eastwick.

I'm still hoping (against hope) that JW will score a movie this year . . . I wonder what the heck he's doing?! :mrgreen:

Karol

but then many movies would be 'unwatchable' if held to those standards.

I find most films to be unwatchable or better yet, not worth watching. Vendetta was decent, so it's not that harsh after all.

Karol

Perhaps its time to stop watching movies then? :mrgreen:

The only scores I bought in 2006 are Munich (only because it wasn't available until this year in Austria) and Witches of Eastwick.  

I'm still hoping (against hope) that JW will score a movie this year . . . I wonder what the heck he's doing?!  :mrgreen:

I'm quiet sure he's been quiet busy composing -- but not necesarilly for film.

and Witches of Eastwick.

You didn't find that locally... did you?

Marian - who noticed that Saturn have either hidden or completely removed their soundtrack section. :)

:wave: Ivan the Terrible (Sergei Prokofiev)

I took the holiday weekend to consider this question.

I haven't been impressed with anything so far musically this year. It's sad that the only musical moments I remember are the opening to "Superman Returns" and a little bit of music from "Little Miss Sunshine."

But don't lose hope. The first of last year's Oscar nominees wasn't released until October ("The Constant Gardener").

This might be a candidate for best score release of 2006...

link

better hurry though, only 1500 available.

beerchug

If there was any justice in the world, this would be sold out already.

I'm sure it will be soon.

It has now... what was that, 24 hours? :wave:

and Witches of Eastwick.

You didn't find that locally... did you?

Marian - who noticed that Saturn have either hidden or completely removed their soundtrack section. :P

:) Ivan the Terrible (Sergei Prokofiev)

Nope, I got it through amazon.at! Good deal! :)