Listen to Williams' Sunday Night Football Theme!

tpigeon

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and strings for the unaware, is there. its doing the regualr willaims type of trill thing like he did for star wars. its at hte very end. I wonder how much musicians get paid to record 10 seconds.... omg he needs to redeem himself with...INDY 4!!! YAY.

No, I realize the strings are there (you can hear them on the final note and it's reverberation) what I meant is there's no where near enough of them, particularly on the low end.

And I think this resembles Parade of the Slave Children a little too with the ostinato low brass and snare/bass drum/timpani combo.

I like it too. But using these 30 seconds as a testament of JW's so called declining talents is just a bit much.

It reminds a number of us of some Star Wars prequel moments. It also is apparent to some of us that JW really didn't spend much time/energy on this. Put those two together, and you get the frustration of the declining quality of JW's work on REAL projects, such as scores for a series that made him famous.

I believe the talent is still there. I just believe that he's taken then "quick and easy path" as of late............too many projects, too little time, too uninspired.

He needs to watch Jerry Maguire and read Tom Cruise's midnight memo. (let me know if anyone gets this ) :lsvader:

well the drums start out like Summon the Heroes,then it goes into a cross between The Trade Federation March or the AotC arena music

K.M.

Bland and disappointing. Williams is still capable of fine melodies, but this is not one of them. Personally, I would have commissioned John Tesh.

:music: "Roundball Rock"

Well it's still better than any of Doyle's themes for GoF,or Ottman's new themes for Superman Returns

K.M.

Well, to each his own, but I honestly hope Williams didn't spend too much time working on this.

It reminds me of 'Flag Parade' from Episode I, Tavington's theme from 'The Patriot,' and 'Battle of the Heroes' at the end.

It also is similar to the original theme... if you inverted it.

I personally don't really hear any strings... I think that's just an echo--though it does sound like strings... In a way it's cooler becuase it's something a marching Band could play on the field if need be.

All be it, it's not BRILLIANT, but it proves exactly how gifted John Williams is at orchestration and how even the most mundane of a concept as football music can be made brilliant and accessable emotionally by the John Williams touch.

I personally enjoy it. It may not be all that complicated and he probaly did get sheet music of the original theme, play it backwards, and then write this in one afternoon--don't forget, composers write 2 minutes of music a day. This track is not even 1 minute. He probably did write a concert version though as well knowing him.

I'm excited by this. I can't wait till it's unveiled to the masses.

and strings for the unaware, is there. its doing the regualr willaims type of trill thing like he did for star wars. its at hte very end.

That's the woodwinds. I couldn't hear any strings in there.

But who says every piece must have strings?

He's been NBC's jingle writer for some time now. Even his Olympic themes mostly have appeared as short jingles before and after commercials. I remember a writer complaining about hearing his music at the opening ceremonies because for him this was an NBC theme and for it to appear in the ceremonies was a sign of the commercialization of the Olympics and so forth. The writer had a point, unfortunately.

Goldsmith gave us Rudy, a wonderful score. But he had more than 45 seconds so its not a fair competition.

- Adam

even IF williams is running out of real original themes, whats there to complain? how many other composers can claim to have written as many instantly memorable themes as williams has?

even IF williams is running out of real original themes, whats there to complain? how many other composers can claim to have written as many instantly memorable themes as williams has?

But he's always referred to memorable themes as a happy accident. In other words he doesn't set out to write a memorable theme. He tries to give the idea or character in the film the right musical identification and if it happens to be memorable, so be it. That's why with something like WotW he doesn't even try. Summer blockbuster, Tom Cruise, the potential end of civilization - its his chance to write something famous but, instead, his music just absorbs the very serious atmosphere of it all and gives us nothing to hum. I think that kind of allegiance to the film is very admirable.

- Adam

I think it's great too. Williams doesn't approach every film with the mindset of creating memorable themes, like you said. He knows his job is to serve the film and he locates what the film needs from the score and he does it superbly. That is why he is our greatest film composer.

Ted

I'm not trampling over them. They are all brilliant film composers. In fact, my Top Three would be Williams, Herrmann, and Goldsmith. Would saying Williams was the greatest living composer trample over the memory of John Barry?

Ted

Bland and disappointing.  Williams is still capable of fine melodies, but this is not one of them.  Personally, I would have commissioned John Tesh.

I love the NBA theme Tesh wrote for NBC.

I think this is a perfect football-jingle, and very effective! I've listened to it twice, and already have (all of) it memorized, so I guess it achieves precisely what it intends to. I'm sure more music was recorded.

And I'm getting just a little tired of complaints about Williams' supposed decline...

Bland and disappointing.  Williams is still capable of fine melodies, but this is not one of them.  Personally, I would have commissioned John Tesh.

I love the NBA theme Tesh wrote for NBC.

There's always room for a little cowbell in sports themes.

Ted

You can tell what a dry spell we've been having when 45 seconds of football promo music ignites this much of a debate. LOL

Ray Barnsbury - who thinks it's a great, catchy little march

and strings for the unaware, is there. its doing the regualr willaims type of trill thing like he did for star wars.

are you sure? I can't hear any strings... only a tight wind section.

Hmm... This board seems to be waiting for Williams to quit.

And I'm thinking about leaving it. I'm fed up.

Btw. I'm whistling it all day, and it's JUST a jingle!

Wow!!! It's neat that a 45 sec. jingle can ignite all of this. i think it is pretty neat, and if you imagine some football imagery with it, it fit really well. I'm a bit amazed that this piece of fluff that is written for popularity and not for the concert hall can in anyway mean that Williams is losing his touch. It tells me he is right on top of his game (no pun intended)

Frosty

Wow, I thought this music was 45 seconds of nothing. I know it's only supposed to be a glorified "jingle", but it's really very poor IMO. Williams is capable of better than this! As for those of you clamouring for a "concert version", there really isn't enough material to expand! I found this pretty dull in the 45 second version. :)

It'sd kinda nice, but nothing Goldsmith, even the the later stages of cancer could not have outdone 10 times over.

Will Williams now start a new career as a writer for jingles?

Actually I thought of Goldsmith when I heard it. Fairly typical Williams but still quite fun. I'd like a longer version.

I will not have you trample over the memories of Jerry Goldsmith, Bernard Herrman and John Barry like that!

You forgot about Basil Poledouris and Cliff Eidelman.

Poor bastards... :)

Justin

Here's my own mix of it. I tried to make it more pleasant to my own ears, so if you don't like it then suck it. I haven't tested it with headphones, so I can't guarantee it'll sound good on that end.

But I fixed the opening a bit, it seemed to come in half-assed whimpery loudness and die out to a total whimper, and added a more Temple of Doom style wetness to it, tweaked the stereo mix a bit, and gave it a more full oomphy sound.

You can listen here.

I wanted to like this, I really did. I think Williams has improved with age, and totally disagree with the geezers on this board who can't appreciate the emotional maturation of Williams over the years. But this little diddy was disappointing. I love watching football, and here was Johnny's chance to give me something wonderful every week I sit down to watch it. But honestly, I would prefer the Monday Night Football theme or Fox's NFL theme over this. A lot can be accomplished in a little jingle - case in point, Goldsmith's Universal theme. This ground feels very treaded, unfortunately.

yes,because the last time this happened...is never.At least we don't have to record several takes off the TV and splice it togheter.

K.M.

Woah man...this sound like one of those star wars marches. Very superiour march like for the football.

Hey about time we got something new (new music i mean) from John Williams for a long while.

Here's my own mix of it.  I tried to make it more pleasant to my own ears, so if you don't like it then suck it.  I haven't tested it with headphones, so I can't guarantee it'll sound good on that end.

But I fixed the opening a bit, it seemed to come in half-assed whimpery loudness and die out to a total whimper,  and added a more Temple of Doom style wetness to it, tweaked the stereo mix a bit, and gave it a more full oomphy sound.

You can listen here.

:)

K.M.

This grew on me after two listens. Awesome biting, tough melody with the muted and unmuted trumpets doubling. Of course it has the imperative news theme ostinato, but that was what they asked for presumably.

Really if you think this is any worse than his "The Mission" news theme, remember that that is from a pool of very similar ideas (SpaceCamp, E.T. (with the lydian mode etc), Amazing Stories: The Mission (same title!)....)

This having a bit of Revenge of the Sithness in it is nothing, really. I really like it.