Listen to Williams' Sunday Night Football Theme!

tpigeon

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this jingle is great!

Do the horns make a little mistake 23 seconds into it? Because when that motif is repeated in the trumpets a few bars later it sounds clearer, with more space between the notes?

If that were the case I'd have way too many crappy scores in my collection.

Yeah, but scores cost money. Bootlegging prequel music (usually) doesn't. I think, why not? And then I get absorbed.

Do the horns make a little mistake 23 seconds into it?  Because when that motif is repeated in the trumpets a few bars later it sounds clearer, with more space between the notes?

I think the motif of the Trumpet is altered, it's not the same rhythm...

Well, its hummable for sure. I have listened to it for three times, and it plays in my head now... I guess we have such a void to fill with no jw film score this year, that nothing else than that (a film score) will feed our hunger. If this would have come out 12 months ago after ROTS and WOTW it wouldn't be such a big deal. Now that it's the only new thing until now in 2006, it will certainly be a disappointment for some, which is a shame as it's propably very appropriate and memorable.

-Snowster

It's sounds pretty good, but it's just a 45 second jingle. Williams probably wrote it in about 6 seconds when on one of the NBC producers bumped into him on the street and asked him to jot down a melody. I dont' mean that as a bad thing, as though the jingle isn't any good, but by nature there isn't much too it. It's written to accompany televised American football, I'm not sure what the expectations are supposed to be. I'm really waiting for a full blown, 4 alarm, project to arise.

Tim

Nothing great. Just as Nightscape says, it's a TV show theme, no reason to expect a brand new, genius theme.

It's like one of Elfman's TV commercials, it's a little nicety.

its sounds like the very awful Battle of the heros, the inappropirately named theme from revenge of the shits.

Lets not  be hypocritical,if this was a RotS unreleased music segment just released in a Videogame you'd all be very happy.

K.M.

not everyone is like you, going nuts over some snippet of music that John wrote, especially from the very much overrated score, revenge of the shits, the only good music in that score is from Star Wars the rest just sounds awful.

Lets not  be hypocritical,if this was a RotS unreleased music segment just released in a Videogame you'd all be very happy.

K.M.

not everyone is like you, going nuts over some snippet of music that John wrote, especially from the very much overrated score, revenge of the shits, the only good music in that score is from Star Wars the rest just sounds awful.

Yes,riiight. Anakin's Betrayal is so ugly , there is no passion in Anakin's Dark Deeds and

damn those LSO dudes can't play.

I think this 45-sec bit is proof that Williams on autopilot is still damn good.

Yeah, but he always was better than practically everyone, so it isn't saying much. That said, it's ok.

Karol

Joe, you enjoyed the last hour of the film when you saw it, and i think you said Battle of the Heroes was (just) an OK cue.

Then something happens and the movie shifts gear. We get to the emperor's revelation sequence, and the movie suddenly gets better.

Oh the acting by the love birds is enough to make you want to rip your eyes out and plung rusty ice picks in your ears, but Mc Brothers do a good job. Finally Ewen finds his center.

Suffice it to say that the last half of the movie is very good, maybe excellent. Where was Jimmy Smits in the other prequels, he's more interesting than any of the other minor characters.

So it cannot be THAT bad.

Luke I've said all along that the first have of Revenge of the shits is one of the worst movies I've ever seen, the 2nd half was so much better, except for the Frankenstein moment, and the idiotic there is still good in him, from that stupid wife of anakins. there is still good in him you stupid ****, so much so that he's trying to kill you, and then he freaks like an automaton when he finds out she's died.

Are we not forgetting that  we haven't yet seen the visuals that this music accompanies?!

Cmon people, let's not be so quick to judge a theme out of context!!!

That's a lame argument. Music was an advanced artform long before TV came along. There is no excuse for dull music, regardless of whether it is meant to accompany anything or not. If the visual can only inspire a dull march then maybe there shouldn't be any music at all.

I guess we can take solace in the fact that so many of us hold Williams to such a high standard that an awesome rocking minor march theme (cleverly constructed around the perfect 5th) for a 45-second football show is considered dull.

I guess we can take solace in the fact that so many of us hold Williams to such a high standard that an awesome rocking minor march theme (cleverly constructed around the perfect 5th) for a 45-second football show is considered dull.

You have an excellent point there. :):wave:

Glad to hear that some people agree w/ me and that I am not crazy, or a bad JW fan..............it's not about bashing JW......it IS about acknowledging his great efforts when they come about and also sucking it up and acknowledging his mediocre and unpraiseworthy efforts when they come about. It's annoying when people give him the thumbs up and heap on the praise when it isn't warrented.

Dave Matthews Band is a great example of this.........they are known for a certain style, established in their first few albums and upheld for the most part until just recently, with their new "Stand Up" album. It is very different in style from his earlier works, more pop-ish and modern, less solo parts etc. The fanbase for the most part has responded pretty negatively to it......only 3 out of 5 stars on amazon, with tons of negative reviews, and at concerts where these songs are performed, the crowd is pretty restrained and quieter when these songs are played.....when they play songs that have their "classic" style, the crowd goes nuts.

It's ridiculous to say that JW outgrew his old Wagner leitmotif, very thematic-based style of the late 70s and 80s to grow more modern and refined. Everyone loves his classics like Star Wars OT, ET, Indiana Jones, Jaws, Superman etc. because they have a certain style. That is a winning style. Everytime JW writes music innovatively, thematically, and with very well-balanced, creative and catchy background lines (that often include their own countermelodies), the music is received as brilliant work. He should be encouraged to write as much of this style music as possible.

When we heap on the praise for works that he obviously didn't put much thought or effort into, that is BAD. Always encourage your favorite artist to do his best with everything ---- and if that means cutting back on the # of projects to allow more time to get the best creative ideas, then so be it.

Again, I would take 1 "Empire Strikes Back"-quality soundtrack every 2-3 years instead of a "Revenge of the Sith"-quality (mediocre) twice per year, or "Attack of the Clones"-quality (less-than-average) three to four times per year.

I don't think we're "heaping praise" so much as saying "Hey, this is a good little fanfare!" I think we all know Williams could write a fanfare in his sleep (and possibly has!), but I don't really care, I like it!

This isn't a fanfare, it's a poorly edited medley of "Flag Parade," "Belly of the Steel Beast," and any random Coruscant flourish from a prequel score. Sorry, no matter how good any of the original music that was incorporated into this was, I don't give Williams credit for reusing it. Some people like the same things again and again, though.

Yes,well we got a free MP3 at least.If we only got a short football montage with a portion of the theme burried under a narrator and sound effects,the ones complaining would be the first to demand a release of it on c.d.

Sept. the 7th it Thursday,not Sunday.So someone post a reminder the day it airs.

K.M.Glad not to be adding this to the "Unreleased Williams Short Piece" list

Some people say john Williams writes always the same music (no style changed) and are tired of it.

Others say that they dont like his newer music becasue his style has changed.

What should it do?

Enjoy whatever i like. Be it just a score, half his work or his entirety.

Sept. the 7th it Thursday,not Sunday.So someone post a reminder the day it airs.

Don't forget the pre-game show that airs in the half hour before the game is scheduled!

I'm sorry but an MV power-anthems, would fit football better than this. :mrgreen:

I thought that, initially, when I heard CBS' new Football theme. It is essentially a synth-dominated MV power anthem. I liked it at first and found it very fitting. Now after two seasons of hearing it I realize that it's flat, annoying, and totally ignorant of the football "sound." I will never get any sense of nostalgia listening to that piece. As I have listened to it more, the new Williams theme fits images of football. I think people will be surprised on Thursday to see how well Williams' captures the images of the sport. In many ways, it's a throwback to old NFL music, as many have said, which Williams honors while at the same time providing his own stamp. I think it's a good little piece of music and I am very much looking forward to seeing how it's used on Thursday. What people on this Board demand of Williams, most of whom think their own ideas of music are advanced, is amazing to me. This is football music, ladies and gentleman. I'm sure Williams wouldn't apologize for not aiming for harmonic complexity.

Ted

I think it's a good little piece of music and I am very much looking forward to seeing how it's used on Thursday.

Thursday? I thought its Sunday Night Football?

Burga - who doesnt get the program here.

Thursday? I thought its Sunday Night Football?

Technically, it is, but the first game this season is on Thursday, and it's being broadcast on NBC. So presumably, they'll be using Williams' music no matter what day of the week it is.

Per the official press release:

"The 'NBC Sunday Night Football' and 'Football Night in America' themes will be used as the show opens, and throughout the broadcasts."

I've set my DVR for both the pre-game show and the game itself...

The NFL has started opening it's seasons on a Thursday night with a single game. NBC has the Sunday night broadcasts and will do the Thursday opener.

Some people say john Williams writes always the same music (no style changed) and are tired of it.

What should it do?

His new style isn't up to par with the old one. His modified self-ripoffs are not up to par with his best styles. End of story as far as I'm concerned.

Why is this so controversial? Why the hate? I enjoy this music, and it is rousing. This is in a similar style to music that many of us have enjoyed, so why do we now shun the style. This is a new tune. If you think it is a bastardization of previous scores, then you have no imagination, and even littler faith in the creative process of composing.

What should it do?

His new style isn't up to par with the old one. His modified self-ripoffs are not up to par with his best styles. End of story as far as I'm concerned.

I think you like zimmer.

Now, that is a true end of story.

All I can say is, John Williams knows what he's doing.

After nearly half a century in the business, he by now trusts his instincts, and if they point to stuff he's kinda done before, he's not going to defy himself -- it's difficult to avoid writing familiar stuff if it's fitting, and if it's what the director wants.

And I like the theme. Which makes me a satisfied JWFan! Sure it's no Ravel's La Valse, I mean, that could make for interesting juxtaposition with the ballet of the football... or not.