Listen to Williams' Sunday Night Football Theme!

tpigeon

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's stupid to think that if something is written in a certain style, that it's good.

My former roommate could write stories in Shakespearan language quite well, doesn't mean it's good.

Yes exactly,so why does it suck ?Saying it sucks is saying JW sucks in general because that's what his music sounds like.

Well, it doesn't "suck," per se, as it would have been pretty cool... fifteen years ago. But I don't respect self-plagiarization.

Yes exactly,so why does it suck ?Saying it sucks is saying JW sucks in general because that's what his music sounds like.

Well, it doesn't "suck," per se, as it would have been pretty cool... fifteen years ago. But I don't respect self-plagiarization.

Go and write music for over 100 movies, as well as hundreds of other projects, and let's see how much you "self-plagiarize" by the time you get where Williams is. :P

Every composer and artist on the face of this earth "self-plagiarizes". The term sucks, quite frankly.

I guess I was expecting more than 20 seconds of it burried under noise.Great that we have the MP3

oh wait ...I heard something new...there's a second different fanfare that seems to be Williams also.

K.M.

I'm just thrilled that NBC has been willing to do something like this when more and more sports coverage dump the traditional in-house instrumental music for "mainstream" stuff. I'm still getting over the horror of hearing rap bumper after rap bumper during last year's baseball playoffs.

John- who appreciates traditional sports coverage over "gimmick of the week" crap

Am I the only one watching the game to hear the new themes?I'm noting where interesting snippets have showed up so I can find them later.

K.M.Who hopes that second theme will be isolated at some point

K.M.2.Who has the TV on,but not really paying attention to the game.

Saying it sucks is saying JW sucks in general because that's what his music sounds like.

What a load of crap. Because a composer always writes with his own voice, he is infallible? I think this theme is an insignificant trifle. Sure, it sounds like Williams, but it sounds like mediocre Williams.

I’m watching but not really paying attention. I like football but I’m more excited about the new JW music. I’ve been noticing different cues too. I wonder how much new music was written. Maybe they’ll release a longer MP3 at some point?

I sincerely doubt it. I hoped the same thing when JW rerecorded the NBC theme, and in the behind the scenes you also hear this action-y theme, which, as far as I know, has yet to see the light of day in MP3 form (please correct me if I am mistaken).

Go and write music for over 100 movies, as well as hundreds of other projects, and let's see how much you "self-plagiarize" by the time you get where Williams is. ;)

Every composer and artist on the face of this earth "self-plagiarizes". The term sucks, quite frankly.

Actually, I shouldn't use the term "self-plagiarize," as it implies at least an attempt at a new composition, something the NFL football theme is not.

I'm on it.So far I've made 2 MP3's of clips containing new music.One is this really cool action cue.I'll see if the theme repeats itself in better quality at some point.

K.M.

I (we?) were wrong about JW's NFL theme

I thought it wasn't enough "oommph" if you know what I mean, not enough meat. But I wasn't considering the fact that, despite it being a main theme, it would not be heard by itself but rather along with the atmospheric sounds that you get from a football brooadcast (crowd noise, play-by-play etc). When you hear it as underscore as they go to the commercial break, it's the perfect amount of texture, and the melody is catchy but not intrusive on the play by play man. And of course, it captures that old school NFL Films music of Sam Spence.

JW was very concerned with the context of how this music would be used. It doesn't sound all that great on its own, but when you watch the game and hear it, it's just perfect. I'm now sold.

New Williams pieces always take a repeated listens to grow on me.

This was no exception. The frst listen.. yeah that's so-so. A few days later and it should be a regular on any Williams Best of Compilation. Short and Sweet, I like it!

Go and write music for over 100 movies, as well as hundreds of other projects, and let's see how much you "self-plagiarize" by the time you get where Williams is. ;)

Actually, I shouldn't use the term "self-plagiarize," as it implies at least an attempt at a new composition, something the NFL football theme is not.

I realise you're trying to be funny, but really you're just making a fool of yourself. We don't even know how much time Williams had to write this, or if he was specifically told it had to sound like "this". Heck, he could've had a matter of days to write the theme.

The main melodic part of the theme itself is entirely new. Just beause the orchestration and various ostinati sound like things Williams has done before doesn't mean it's self-plagiarized.

I support the stuff you're doing, KM. In my [slightly intoxicated, and thus genuine] opinion, all these bitchers must feel very important, pooping on the little ditty Williams has come up with. Get over yourselves! If you don't like it, fine, but that doesn't mean Williams has reached the end of his compositional prowess. It's fine to critique his work, Lord knows I'm not above that, but really this is just meant to be a little signature tune for NBC football, something that people might remember because it's catchy and nothing more. Not everything can be [insert favorite Williams piece here]. Sheesh.

Ray Barnsbury

ok I made it sound pretty good.Again PM me if you want Theme#2.I'll answer after I sleep.

I will still be checking Football Night in America for maybe a cleaner version,or maybe even another theme.

K.M.

Am I the only one watching the game to hear the new themes?I'm noting where interesting snippets have showed up so I can find them later.

K.M.Who hopes that second theme will be isolated at some point

K.M.2.Who has the TV on,but not really paying attention to the game.

No, believe it or not I'm actually watching the game.

I support the stuff you're doing, KM.  In my [slightly intoxicated, and thus genuine] opinion, all these bitchers must feel very important, pooping on the little ditty Williams has come up with.  Get over yourselves!  If you don't like it, fine, but that doesn't mean Williams has reached the end of his compositional prowess.  It's fine to critique his work, Lord knows I'm not above that, but really this is just meant to be a little signature tune for NBC football, something that people might remember because it's catchy and nothing more.  Not everything can be [insert favorite Williams piece here].  Sheesh.

Ray Barnsbury

:thumbup:

Ted

I heard his music in its official setting last night and must say that I jumped the gun on crucifying it last week. It worked pretty well for going to commercial breaks. The trumpet line is OK. There are some parts though that are just pretty unrefined, and dare I say sloppy (the percussion, and the latter bass line). I just know Williams at his best, and always want to see him perform at his best, and this is NOT his best.

I guess I just hold him to really high standards, because he really is the best film composer still working today.

I support the stuff you're doing, KM.  In my [slightly intoxicated, and thus genuine] opinion, all these bitchers must feel very important, pooping on the little ditty Williams has come up with.  Get over yourselves!  If you don't like it, fine, but that doesn't mean Williams has reached the end of his compositional prowess.  It's fine to critique his work, Lord knows I'm not above that, but really this is just meant to be a little signature tune for NBC football, something that people might remember because it's catchy and nothing more.  Not everything can be [insert favorite Williams piece here].  Sheesh.

Ray Barnsbury

So... are you saying that it's "wrong" to dislike this theme? I don't like it, but I don't judge Williams' career on it. I judge Wililams' career on the fact that I loved 3 of his 4 scores last year, and the remaining one was very, very good. With that, I can forgive a rather bland little football theme. Are you saying it's "wrong" for me to think that? :?

I think Ray was commenting on the extremes that some people have gone to upon listening to this theme. People tend to judge things without context, as if they know quality music, and they scrutinize and make comments about Williams' supposed decline - it's all rather frustrating.

Ted

I realise you're trying to be funny, but really you're just making a fool of yourself. We don't even know how much time Williams had to write this, or if he was specifically told it had to sound like "this". Heck, he could've had a matter of days to write the theme.

If Williams was contracted to write a piece in forty-five seconds and all he came up with was "da, da, dum," would you take the time constraints into account and call it a good composition?

The main melodic part of the theme itself is entirely new. Just beause the orchestration and various ostinati sound like things Williams has done before doesn't mean it's self-plagiarized.

It's pretty much "The Arena" in melody and "The Flag Parade" in rhythm, with "Belly of the Steel Beast" filling in any remaining gaps (boring TV news music also plays a hand in it). Of course this isn't a note-for-note plagiarization. I don't think Williams obtained the scores to the aforementioned pieces and cut and pasted everything - but do I think he was tired, bored, and uninspired? Absolutely.

I support the stuff you're doing, KM. In my [slightly intoxicated, and thus genuine] opinion, all these bitchers must feel very important, pooping on the little ditty Williams has come up with. Get over yourselves! If you don't like it, fine, but that doesn't mean Williams has reached the end of his compositional prowess. It's fine to critique his work, Lord knows I'm not above that, but really this is just meant to be a little signature tune for NBC football, something that people might remember because it's catchy and nothing more. Not everything can be [insert favorite Williams piece here]. Sheesh.

No, I don't think anybody said Williams has "reached the end of his compositional prowess." I actually believe the quality of Williams's work can vary; that he can write mediocrity one year and a masterpiece the next (2000-2001, anyone?). I believe that a man with such peaks of musical brilliance should be held to a high standard, and that we should be critical, not apologetic.

"Critical" doesn't mean "negative," by the way.

If Williams was contracted to write a piece in forty-five seconds and all he came up with was "da, da, dum," would you take the time constraints into account and call it a good composition?

It's pretty much "The Arena" in melody and "The Flag Parade" in rhythm, with "Belly of the Steel Beast" filling in any remaining gaps (boring TV news music also plays a hand in it). Of course this isn't a note-for-note plagiarization. I don't think Williams obtained the scores to the aforementioned pieces and cut and pasted everything - but do I think he was tired, bored, and uninspired? Absolutely.

I didn't write either of those paragrahs...try arguing with the right person!

No, I don't think anybody said Williams has "reached the end of his compositional prowess."

Look again...that phrasing was based off of remarks like the following:

Absolute proof that JW is basically squeezed dry for truly unique and catchy themes/jingles…he is effectively being paid a premium to dish out cookie-cutter, uninspired, repetitive, and cliche musical ideas.
I guarantee he didn't sit there for a good while and actually brainstormed a "football-sounding" theme/style. He just took the money and issued a cookie-cutter 30-second segment. No inspiration to be found here, and THAT is what distinguishes the latter-day JW from the brilliant "in-his-prime" JW.
considering this sucks, it just reiterates how uninspired/lazy much of the prequel scoring was as well, along with plenty of his other scores (in general) in the past 6 years or so.
Too many projects / too little time / lack of focus / already-established reputation / old age / waning of ideas = what we are hearing now.

...and other similar sentiments, all spawned from this piece. I just think it's a bit extreme. Ridiculous, in fact.

I actually believe the quality of Williams's work can vary; that he can write mediocrity one year and a masterpiece the next (2000-2001, anyone?).

As do I...I'm not a huge fan of any of the four scores from last year, for example...some have terrific highlights, but he's done, and I'm sure is capable of doing, better. Just my opinion, obviously.

I believe that a man with such peaks of musical brilliance should be held to a high standard, and that we should be critical, not apologetic.

Sure, but I think you'll find that in this case, most of the people in favor of the new piece aren't apologizing for it; they genuinely like it.

Ray Barnsbury

Sure, but I think you'll find that in this case, most of the people in favor of the new piece aren't apologizing for it; they genuinely like it.

It's just a simple sports bumper, it's not supposed to be classic, he might not have had enough time to write it, it works well in context...

Those sound like apologies to me.

Unnecessary apologies made in vain to those decrying it for not being something brilliant like E.T. or ESB, perhaps; not to excuse it for being a piece of trash or signifying Williams' declining talent.

Ray Barnsbury

Hmm well the second theme is great! (thank you by the way mark ;) ) I also liked it more than the first fanfare we've heard... it much more sounds like a piece written for television than the first...which could easily replace a scene like "Flag Parade" in a movie for the big screen.

And the second theme even includes...Strings I think :thumbup:

It took 4 different clips scattered through 4 hours of video to make this edit of Theme 2,taking the least worst sounding bits.Luckily I had noted the time where I heard it,but then one of the DVD's was defective and couldn't be read by my PC drive,so I had to use a line out from the DVD player.

K.M.