The perfect animated film

ebertfan92

If 10 animation filmmakers were gathered together to create the perfect animated film, the following 10 guys would be the best.

What do you think?

Ralph Bakshi

Brad Bird

Don Bluth

Tim Burton

Yoshiaki Kawajiri

John Lasseter

Hayao Miyazaki

Nick Park

Martin Rosen

Richard Williams

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

isnt Beauty and the Beast already perfect?

Sadly, it has some CGI experiments that stick out from the rest of the film. Also, you have to dig Disney's rather kitschy design style. Personally, I'm glad Pixar has changed the landscape.

how many of those people worked on Beauty and the Beast, a perfect animated film.

isnt Beauty and the Beast already perfect?

Sadly, it has some CGI experiments that stick out from the rest of the film. Also, you have to dig Disney's rather kitschy design style. Personally, I'm glad Pixar has changed the landscape.

You never fail to surprise me, Alex. Beauty and the Beast is a gorgeous looking film. It's design and animation are superb, including the ballroom dance sequence. It is one of Disney's very best efforts and one of the best animated films.

Ted

How long does that shot last? I'm sure it looks better in the film, rather than as a still. What surprised me most about what you said is your happiness over Pixar changing everything.

Ted

Pixar films thankfully have a less syrupy, more modern sensibility. And i'm not just talking animation. There's a cleverness there that I found lacking in many of the big Disney films of the 80's and 90's I grew up with. (Most of them basically just reworkings of old fairy tails or folk tails)

There's no way Disney on it's own would ever have touched a script like The Incredibles.

How long does that shot last? I'm sure it looks better in the film, rather than as a still. What surprised me most about what you said is your happiness over Pixar changing everything.

I'm extremely happy about that. I simply couldn't watch their classic style anymore (80s and 90s). I still like the very old Disney animation, where everything, even the colouring, was done by hand.

Alex

I still think it looks fabulous. :?

I guess you do, judging from your avatar ;) .

I never claimed my avatar to be fabulous looking! Anyway I couldnt get him to look any closer...you dont want to see my attempted Nicole Kidman :)

Sorry but I find this ugly.

1475__beauty_l.jpg

I think it looks alright, the actual shot looks great though.

Pixar's Animation is second to none. There's no question about that. But with animated films of the past ten years or so, the characters and stories are so self-aware that I've lost interest in a lot of them. DreamWorks is more guilty of this, but a great deal of animated films' stories are excuses for a bunch of cultural "in" jokes. The stories are often incredibly weak. Films like Shrek and The Incredibles or two of the best because they manage to tell good stories despite being so much about stories. But I find the humor in others to be very irritating. Like I said, Pixar is mostly terrific - I'm referring mostly to mainstream animation in general these days.

With the late 80's/early 90's era of animation, there were always cute jokes, but they never went too far. The stories may have been re-hashed, but at least the films took them somewhat seriously. Beauty and the Beast was a great story beautifully told with vibrant designs and colors, and incredible imagination. There is real storytelling there, as well as in The Lion King and The Little Mermaid.

Ted

Disney's all sugar concept was good for the time it was invented, and for almost 3 decades years it worked ok. It was very simple, but incredibly succesful at the same time: use an old tale, change so it's not too scary (Grimm's specially) and add a few nice songs. When Disney died it took the studio 20 years to get back to making classics (they abandonded the old formula, and the original stories formula didn't work).

They rethought the idea in the late 80's, and what they come up with was good enough for me, and I consider them to be classics , maybe in a different way that the old ones. I'm taking about Little Mermaid, B&tB, Aladdin, Lion King,... They realised they had to update a concept a bit, so in most cases they had some, let's say, less childish humour. In Aladdin it's crystal clear: Abu for kids and the Genie for adults. And it worked ok for some years. Why? Because it was good and there was nothing else.

And then Dreamworks and Pixar came into scene, with a different aproach: what if we write scripts in which kids are not the main targets? And voilà, it was a revolution in animation: it was not only for kids anymore. Something the Japanese have known since they started making manga and anime, and that was not that clear in the western world. When I was a preteen, going to see a Disney movie was like embarrasing (cause they were for kids). And now, both pre-teens, teens and adults are eager to see the new Shrek, or the last Pixar. Cause they are adult movies. And what's great for the studio is that the old idea of animation is for kids is still floating around, so kids are still eager to go to see Pixar movies. Let's make money.

I really, really need to finally do that Disney renting spree. I have never seen The Little Mermaid, and I don't think I've seen Beauty and the Beast since somewhere around 1993. I've also never seen the English version of Aladdin. Have to hear Robin Williams.

- Marc, trying to imagine the look on the rental store guy's face when he walks up to the counter with a bunch of Disney DVDs...

Is anyone here a Miyazaki fan? He is truely one of the best animators to come out in the last 20 years.

Is anyone here a Miyazaki fan? He is truely one of the best animators to come out in the last 20 years.

How silly of me to forget Miyazaki. You could add several of his films to the list.

Pixar's Animation is second to none. There's no question about that. But with animated films of the past ten years or so, the characters and stories are so self-aware that I've lost interest in a lot of them. DreamWorks is more guilty of this, but a great deal of animated films' stories are excuses for a bunch of cultural "in" jokes. The stories are often incredibly weak. Films like Shrek and The Incredibles or two of the best because they manage to tell good stories despite being so much about stories. But I find the humor in others to be very irritating. Like I said, Pixar is mostly terrific - I'm referring mostly to mainstream animation in general these days.

With the late 80's/early 90's era of animation, there were always cute jokes, but they never went too far. The stories may have been re-hashed, but at least the films took them somewhat seriously. Beauty and the Beast was a great story beautifully told with vibrant designs and colors, and incredible imagination. There is real storytelling there, as well as in The Lion King and The Little Mermaid.

Ted

I completely disagree, since I find that type of animation to be odd.

as for what alex said about Beauty and the Beast, I don't find that out of character for him.

Woah, this is possibly the first time I disagree with you, Romão! :)

I like Shrek, its movies parodies, and the succesfull attempt to not make a cartoon only for children.

I find Mulan to also be a very good animated film. Jerry Goldsmith's score helps a lot, of course. :wave:

That is the reason i think its the best animated movie right now, until John Williams does one, of course ;)

- Marc, trying to imagine the look on the rental store guy's face when he walks up to the counter with a bunch of Disney DVDs...

Download them and spare you the shame LOL

But well, rent them and shame for not having seens them as a kid as you should! :devil:

I guess you could say its for some kids u are babysitting or simply point out that Beauty and the Beast was a Best Picture nominee...:wave:

Or just rent them because you an avid cinema lover and don't discriminate against certain types of films. Forget what someone else will think. If they judge, it's their loss.

Ted

Sorry, I know the thread has been going along the lines of Disney and Pixar, but I am a huge fan of 'The Secret of NIMH.' It's possibly the most atmospheric, beautifully animated, transfixing films I have ever seen. My other favorite would be Disney's 'Sleeping Beauty,' but I think that Don Bluth had a really unique vision for NIMH. And Goldsmith's score is one of his very best; the main melody is outstanding!

Sorry, I know the thread has been going along the lines of Disney and Pixar, but I am a huge fan of 'The Secret of NIMH.'  It's possibly the most atmospheric, beautifully animated, transfixing films I have ever seen.  My other favorite would be Disney's 'Sleeping Beauty,' but I think that Don Bluth had a really unique vision for NIMH.  And Goldsmith's score is one of his very best; the main melody is outstanding!

:) NIMH is one of the most underrated Disney (or animated) films of all time.

EDIT: Sorry about the Disney thing. :oops: