Alan Silvestri returns for A Night At The Museum

BigMacGyver

Not JW related but nevertheless worth mentioning:

Alan Silvestri was expected to score the film when Stephen Sommers was still attached to it as director. When Sommers left, John Ottman was announced for the scoring job but now, Ottman is out and Silvestri returns to compose the music. That's what Soundtrack.net reports in their upcoming projects section.

The film opens december 26th.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this mean we finally get a Silvestri score?

Instead of him just jacking off to some animated flick?

Justin - Who had incorperate the phrase "jacking off" into a post and figured this was as good as any...

Good, I haven't really heard anything from him since 2004.

He was far from being inactive in 2006. The Wild and The Sea Legend Of Mythica were both scored by him during this year and Night At The Museum promises to become a powerful ending to a great Silvestri year which also offered some great releases of his earlier scores.

As much as I love Silvestri, I'm not really interested in this movie, nor its score.

I wish Silvestri could get a big epic movie, like the Polar Express. I think great movies give a composer a chance to write great music, rather than mediocre background chord-progressions....

The Sea Legend Of Mythica

I haven't heard anything about this, but it sounds interesting. What is it?

Ray Barnsbury

It's music for DisneySea Tokyo's 5th Anniversary live show. A CD was released with barely 29 minutes of music and portions of dialogue. Glen Ballard did the lyrics for a song that is used throughout the performance. When you erase the dialogue, there is about 16 minutes worth of Silvestri's score (not counting the ending song):

http://www.alan-silvestri.com/discography/...dofmythica.html

As much as I love Silvestri, I'm not really interested in this movie, nor its score.

I wish Silvestri could get a big epic movie, like the Polar Express. I think great movies give a composer a chance to write great music, rather than mediocre background chord-progressions....

There is no reason to believe that Silvestri will do a mediocre score for a film like A Night At The Museum that offers such a wealth of opportunities. The film is a colourful mixture of fantasy, comedy and adventure elements and it's like a history lesson coming alive. There is plenty of room for big moments and all these different historical figures and places will inspire a very varied score. We have cowboys, we have attila, roosevelt, a t-rex (at least the bones) and egyptian mummies. All of these exhibits brings it's own sound. Imagine western music ala BTTF 3 for the cowboys, furious jungle percussion for the rex, oriental mayhem ala The Mummy Returns, asian influences for attila. Now tell me again that this is going to be boring.

The Sea Legend Of Mythica

I haven't heard anything about this, but it sounds interesting. What is it?

Ray Barnsbury

When did "The Wild" come out?

The Wild Soundtrack CD is out since april and features 31 minutes of score. Silvestri recorded the music for Sea Legend in L.A. one month later in early may and the live show premiered July 14th.

Despite only 31-minutes on the CD, The Wild is a very good score.

After seeing the previews for what was undoubtedly a lame and unoriginal film, it's hard to believe that it got music this good.

• 1 month later...

I found most of The Wild to be pretty boring. And I'm not going within 10 million miles of the movie.

I'm really waiting for another Polar Express scale score from Silvestri - now that's an impressive effort that sooooo deserved a score CD.

And I didn't realise he's recording Night at the Museum already - was this a fairly late replacement or anything like that?

Well, I found the wild to be a quite rich score though the CD left out most of the big main theme performances and otherwise suffered from some strange editing decisions.

Furthermore I have really high hopes for NATM which is not going to be like your usual comedy score. A museum full of lively exhibits from all reagions of the world means a score full of excitement.

And the descriptions from the foto essay such as "adventurous", "dramatic", "101-piece orchestra" and "choir" are certainly wetting the appetite.

As long as it's good music it doesn't matter how crappy or good the film is. For that matter it doesn't even matter if I ever see the film.

I'd just like some good new music to listen to, and given the current state of film music, there hasn't been much to brag about.

I agree Mark. I've been enjoying listening to concert works because 2006 has been the worst year in my mind as far as film scores go. Nothing from the summer has lingered except James Newton Howard's Lady in the Water and even that has somewhat diminished.

Well, a score release of this one is not home and dry yet, so we don't even know yet if he can avoid the film but enjoy the score on CD.

I have contacted Dan Goldwasser and asked him about a score release and he does not know either because recording still takes place as we speculate.

My guess is mid november for the announcement (if there will be one at all). Varese has their november titles up for pre-order and I guess their december run will be announced soon, maybe by the time the club CDs are announced. Fingers crossed that Night At The Museum will be part of it.

I wasn't really satisfied with 2006 when it comes to film music either, so I really hope this one will be good and actually receive a CD release.

In varese we trust:

NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed and Conducted by Alan Silvestri

Ben Stiller

Robin Williams

Dick Van Dyke

Good-hearted dreamer Larry Daley (Ben Stiller), despite being perpetually down on his luck, thinks hes destined for something big. But even he could never have imagined how big, when he accepts what appears to be a menial job as a graveyard-shift security guard at a museum of natural history. During Larrys watch, extraordinary things begin to occur: Mayans, Roman Gladiators and cowboys emerge from their diorama to wage epic battles; in his quest for fire, a Neanderthal burns down his own display; Attila the Hun pillages his neighboring exhibits and a T-Rex reminds everyone why hes historys fiercest predator. Amidst the chaos, the only person Larry can turn to for advice is a wax figure of President Teddy Roosevelt (Robin Williams), who helps our hero harness the bedlam, stop a nefarious plot, and save the museum.

Straight from the Jurassic era comes this gargantuan action adventure score by Alan Silvestri, featuring a monstrous symphony orchestra, Night at the Museum is one of the most exciting soundtracks of the year!

20th Century Fox opens Night at the Museum nationwide on December 22.

Catalog #: 302 066 778 2

Release Date: 12/19/06

• 2 weeks later...
I may actually buy this score. I saw an add for the film. Superficial over-the-top CGI waste.

Perfect for a Silvestri score!

I think he probably enjoyed scoring crap like Van Helsing and The Mummy Returns - he just went wild and created big crazy, over-the-top music that's actually really fun to listen to.

I came across this CD on Amazon and hadn't heard about it. Has anybody bought this or know anything about the quality or how well the BttF theme is played?

My thoughts about this compilation:

http://www.filmscorecenter.de/filmmusicmas...ansilvestri.htm

• 2 weeks later...

They're probably pretty short if they pack that many tracks onto one CD. Probably 1-2 minutes per trac. I see some are under a minute.

I might take a look at this. I saw about 3 seconds of a preview for the movie, what is this about? Is this a comedy (Which I thought when I saw Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson) or is this a children's fantasy movie?

I saw about 3 seconds of a preview for the movie, what is this about? Is this a comedy (Which I thought when I saw Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson) or is this a children's fantasy movie?

It's a fantasy adventure with strong comedy elements.

Some of the tracks on the CD seem to be less than a minute but there also seem to be at least two that run about 4 minutes (i would say civil war soldiers is one of them).

I'm definitely looking forward to hearing what Sivestri does with this, but it would have been interesting to hear how a modern-day Williams would've handled it.

Ray Barnsbury

I don't want to spread false info but I could swear the latest trailer for this one already contains silvestri's score. I am not talking about the one which used Debney's Hocus Pocus music but the new international trailer:

http://www.myspace.com/nightatthemuseum

You have to scroll down the page a bit to watch it.

Van Helsing was too good and fitting to be anywhere close to anything from remote control :(

And this film is an entirely different beast. It's fantasy/comedy and silvestri is an expert for this genre mix.

Nah, that's pure silvestri choral stuff.

Remote controls choirs are always the same sampled gregson-williams choir used over and over again. You know, that male choir from the rock, armageddon, etc. Silvestri's use of choir in VH is very distinctive from that.

Soundtrack.net's latest podcast features exclusive excerpts from the night at the museum soundtrack release, among bits and pieces of other highly anticipated, upcoming scores such as thomas newman's the good german:

http://media21a.libsyn.com/podcasts/6afdbb...Podcast_021.mp3

I know, but I couldn't find soundtrack.net's new one, and I know FSM just did a podcast covering Night at the Museum and The Good German (as well as Elfman's Charlotte's Web and Doyle's Eragon).