A.I. 2 CD - phony or legit?

sulky

I recently spied on one of them supposed A.I. 2 CD promos on eBay and wanted to know how can one identify the article as being a boot or the real deal...

The item in question has matrix numbers, indicating that the CDs were pressed. However, weren't the 2 CD promos originally sent out late '01 / early '02 CD-Rs and not manufactured CDs?

There was another auction, yet that item appeared to be an alternate version with different labelling (additional text).

Soundtrackcollector lists two different 2 CD promo sets; how many variations of these promos are there? Which ones are genuine and which aren't?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently spied on one of them supposed A.I. 2 CD promos on eBay and wanted to know how can one identify the article as being a boot or the real deal...

I have got the original pressed 2CD set. This set is a real pressing. :)

There was another auction, yet that item appeared to be an alternate version with different labelling (additional text).

This set from the ebayer "imperialmaster" is a silver CD-R fake.

If previous auctions of the 2 CD sets are any indication, it's guaranteed the winner will have to pony up a good deal, likely in the low to mid 3 figures.

The "For Your Consideration" single and 2-CD sets are real so this is probably a real deal.

As I'm sure there are authentic articles out there, there's probably a good deal more of the home made (or even pressed) illigitimate kind that look convincingly genuine - such are the perils of online commerce (eBay in particular). Though it would be nice to know with absolute certainty that these are truly the real deal.

I guess I'll just stick to looking for them rare, commercially released titles - much easier to ascertain whether they're real or fake.

I have got the original pressed 2CD set. This set is a real pressing.

Am curious, do the matrix codes on your set match the one currently in auction?

Well, the winning bid for this was $444 smackeroos!!! $444=44,000 pennies.

Don't know if I should be envious of the winner or feel sorry for him (as one can buy a helluva lot with that kind of change).

Am curious, do the matrix codes on your set match the one currently in auction?

Yes, it does.

Compare with my set, the matrix code is the same and the covers + CD's on the auction are identical.

I have paid for my original pressed oscar promo $400.

Wow. The most I've ever paid for a CD was $160 for Spacecamp, and I thought THAT was a lot. I had just had an unhappy break-up and needed to make a silly purchase to cheer myself up. It worked. I LOVE that score.

The CDs on this pictures aren't original "for your consideration", last September I have been accomodate in L.A. by someone who is in the Academy, he have a lots of "FYC" CDs and some belongs to WarnerBros. in the case of A.I. it should be on each CD the WB logo and "for your consideration"as well as composer John Williams...

^^ Could it be possible that the set you saw was simply another promo variation w/ alternate label and text? There are many pics out there of WB promos distributed like the Harry Potter FYC and the A.I. single disc, and they have similar labeling, text and font without the studio logo (of course, they can also be bootlegged replicas). That's why it's important to check the matrix # for CDs of dubious origin - it's the only way to be sure.

The CDs on this pictures aren't original "for your consideration", last September I have been accomodate in L.A. by someone who is in the Academy, he have a lots of "FYC" CDs and some belongs to WarnerBros. in the case of A.I. it should be on each CD the WB logo and "for your consideration"as well as composer John Williams...

In the case of the 2004 and 2005 academy promos, you are right. But the 2001, they have got neither the WB logo nor the FYC on CD as same as the 2002 releases. In this case you are wrong.

Toshiba laptop: $2000

Internet connection: $15 per month

Winning Spacecamp on E-bay: $160

Shipping, handling and Insurance: $5

The look of happiness on my face as I listen to my Spacecamp CD... Priceless.

I have no problem paying a large amount for a CD because I know if I payed that much it must be something I really want and it will get plenty of playing time.

As to the original thread question...if in doubt contact WB direct...someone will be able to tell you if the CDs are legit.

Of course WB has no interest in promoting the sale of either bootlegs or promo material that is not supposed to be sold anyway.

That's what I'm wondering to.

If the Concorde release for Hook was ripped from the Academy Promo then sound quality should be excellent. It seems like whoever ripped it must have ripped it at a very low bit rate.

yeah,there was 2 Hook boots,the first one had hiss,and the concorde has a lot of hiss reduction applied to the music deterorating the music further.

K.M.

I'd rather have the tape hiss and keep the sound quality good, then remove to much hiss and add a lot of uncessary artifacts.

I wonder, jerrygollay does your contact in the Academy that has a lot of "FYC" may have the Hook Academy Promo score? Would you mind finding out?

I wonder why A.I was the only Academy promo thus far that actually had unreleased music.

A screw up which is why a single disc followed it.

And it's not the first Academy Promo to have unreleased music. Apollo 13 and Mulan have unreleased music on them.

Compare with my set, the matrix code is the same and the covers + CD's on the auction are identical.

Thanks for that... Nice to know you're one of the very very very few to own that particular set. Seeing as it is indeed legit, I now know what to be on the lookout for...

As for the other "official" 2 CD promo pressing, the seemingly less rare 1090M11-101/001, hopefully light will also be shed on that sonofagun sometime soon...

Ai promo unreleased music: Williams wanted it to win (being better reviewed with the whole thing) over HP and PS?

It could be a screw up as mentioned, as Academy promos are suposed not to contain unused music.

I think it was stated that when they put the CDs together to send out someone put the entire score on there by mistake instead of just doing a single disc.

It was corrected and the single disc was sent out.

As far as I know, the first academy promo was the 2CD set. But there was a problem: The 1st CD of that 2CD has got a technical fault. :( The tracks were leaked. Some DVD-players have got problems to read the CD. My DVD-player has got the same problem. Sometimes the player can read the CD, sometimes not. But don't worry :): All CD-players have got no problems to read the CD, only the DVD-players.

My theory:

Most academy members have got DVD-players and they have got problems to play the first CD. So they have contacted WB and have informed that disaster. Then WB stoped producing the 2CD and they began producing the single disc to save money and time. That's the reason, why the 2CD is extremely limited! :mrgreen:

What do you think about my explanation? :roll:

Sorry, for my bad english. ;)

How about this as an explaination.Oh man ,they'll sell these on e-bay for big bucks and make bootlegs,stop makin them now.And whoever released it is fired.

K.M.