Horner's new theme and interview.

Frosty

Has anyone else listened to Horner's new theme for the CSB news? There is also an interview with him on the CBSnews websight. i personally don't think the new theme is up to much. I liked the old music better.

Opinions?

Frosty

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Horner also phoned John Williams, the famed movie-music composer ("Star Wars") who wrote the music for NBC's "Nightly News" in 1985. "I joked that his theme was so good that he didn't leave me any notes to use," Mr. Horner says.

That sounds like as good a reason as any to call somebody on the phone.

NBC's theme is just so old, I'm kind of sick of it. It's the most thematic of any of them (but that's no surprise, considering the conductor), ABC is okay, but it reminds me of news parodies. CBS' is...different. It could catch on, I could see it drawing viewers because it makes them more comfortable. Instead of the edgy warning music, it's more relaxing. Not memorable, but it goes with the new "softer" news with Couric.

I was listening to the clips and i voted for horner thinking it was clicking the sample.

Thank god i think your vote can be changed...

Anyway the Williams sample does not make the Mission theme justice...

Horner's new theme is certainly not better than Williams' new football show theme, stefancos!

Nor could anything Horner ever writes truly hope to be; Horner is simply not a very good composer, he doesn't quite "own" his music the way great composers (such as Williams) do, it sounds forced, like an unsuccessful pastiche, a flawed and failed emulation of something that will always remain just beyond his reach.

Williams' new theme, for all its brevity (as far as we know), is still very elegant and eloquent.

I'm just a JW fan that doest drool ever every note Williams composes.

At least not his modern notes.

And yes I am trapped here for the sake of habit.

Nope, you drool about evey note Goldsmith composed :)

The ABC theme has been there forever.I liked it as a kid and I tried to record from the TV it but it NEVER played more than the first few seconds and I wanted the middle section.It's actually the first time I hear it cleanly ,so I made an MP3.

K.M.

That music sounded like... nothing. It created a sound, but no trademark or memorable melody. It's just a couple of pleasant string lines.

Ted

Meh, the theme is weak. Nothing that grabs a viewer, like JW's theme (I mean, the NBC theme just screams out 'NEWS!'). It sounds like Peio said, a compressed end credits, but that's not what a news theme should sound like. I'd be interested in hearing all the snippets and variations he's done. With JW's theme, that's one of the most interesting things about it (I love the scherzo version).

ABC's theme sounds like a call to arms. NBC is old school. CBS has a feminine quality.

It took Horner three months to write the theme? It took him less time to write "Aliens."

Horners CBS Theme is better then Williams new Football theme!

If you really feel that way then choose one of these options:

Write your own great "News" Theme

Leave the MB and post in some geeky Horner board instead

(great reply isn't it?) ;)