What music would you like to have played at your funeral?

Sandor

An obscure topic I know...

But seriously; I think about it sometimes. I haven't quite figured it out.

Do you guys think about it? Have you selected some music already? What music would you like to be played at your funeral?

(If this thread makes anyone uncomfortable; I'm sorry)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a film music fan and being moved by it often, I too have thought about this.

At one point I actually thought that Qui Gon's Funeral Pyre would be the piece!

These days though I'd probably go for something a little more uplifting like The Emperor's Theme or The Revelation Of The Ringwraiths.

When I was in my teens, I decided I would want Poulenc's sonata for clarinet and piano.

I think the force theme should make an appearance, as it is the theme that prompted me to become a composer.

I guess some of my own music probably will be played.

well for James' funeral I had Buffets A Pirate Looks at Forty, John Parrs, Man in Motion,

James Taylor's You've got a Friend, and Madonna's I'll Remember.

I considered playing Elton John's Empty Garden, but I figured that was too personal between him and I.

Selections from Stravinsky's "The Firebird." Particularly the last section, starting with that gorgeous horn solo. The bassoon solo a few minutes beforehand is a little more funereal and would fit in nicely, I suppose.

No speeches on my funeral service, the beloved would have to take a seat and listen to the following music:

Let There Be Light/ The Abduction Of Barry (CE3K, John Williams)

The Cloud/ Vejur Flyover/ The Forcefield (ST: TMP, Jerry Goldsmith)

Blood Moon (Images, John Williams)

Main Title/ The Search Continues/ The Hunt (Planet Of The Apes, Jerry Goldsmith)

No speeches on my funeral service, the beloved would have to take a seat and listen to the following music:

Let There Be Light/ The Abduction Of Barry (CE3K, John Williams)

The Cloud/ Vejur Flyover/ The Forcefield (ST: TMP, Jerry Goldsmith)

Blood Moon (Images, John Williams)

Main Title/ The Search Continues/ The Hunt (Planet Of The Apes, Jerry Goldsmith)

Nice! :)

"Born on the Fourth of July: Theme" from Music for the Stage and Screen,

"Joe Sr.'s Passing" from Far and Away,

"Anakin's Betrayal" from Revenge of the Sith.

I know they're all depressing. It's a funeral!

Aren't funerals sad enough without depressing music, on top of it? That's the way I see it anyway...

I'd actually like "The Shadows of Paris" from A Shot in the Dark at my funeral, I think. Or possibly something by Burt Bacharach -- something to cheer people up.

Funerals and weddings are probably going to be the only times I get to make my life seem cinematic, so I might as well go all the way. If people are going to be sitting around my casket sobbing, I want John's music there too.

For my macabre send off, it'll be :

HYMN TO THE FALLEN (Saving Private Ryan) - Mr John Williams

SCENE D'AMOUR (Vertigo) - Mr Bernard Herrmann

KIRK'S EXPLOSIVE REPLY (Star Trek II) - Mr James Horner (Priest at the alter: "I.....can't")

I HAD A FARM IN AFRICA (Out of Africa) - Mr John Barry

TROMBA LONTANA (Fanfare) - Mr John Adams

CAROL ANN'S THEME (END TITLES) (Poltergeist) - Mr Jerry Goldsmith

And finally when I'm about to be cremated, the LACRIMOSA (Requiem K.626) - Mr Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Hitch, who hopes to go out on a high note. Ding dong the witch is dead etc etc.

On a related note, I think the best death scene in the entire history of music (better than Verdi, better than Wagner..) is found in RotJ, when Yoda dies. That passage should be studied intensely by any composer who wishes to understand musical drama. It is music of transcendent beauty and awesome profundity.

Fawkes the phoenix, at the end of my funeral. Just so the people get out of it with a more or less happy feeling. And for the symbolism too of course!

In 2062, 8 time Academy Award winner Hans Zimmer, then aged 105, will pen the 20th installment of PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN: DEAD MAN WALKING and then dies in the arms of his 12th wife, Keira Knightley-Depp-Bloom after watching the explicit sex scenes that Disney now allow in their childrens movies.