AOTC: a track-by-track rating.

Thought this was a fun experiment, anyone wanna join in?

On a scale of 1 to 10:

1. Star Wars Main Title and Ambush on Coruscant----5,0

2. Love Theme from Attack of the Clones (Across the Stars)----8,0

3. Zam the Assassin and the Chase Through Coruscant----9,0

4. Yoda and the Younglings----6,0

5. Departing Coruscant----6,0

6. Anakin and Padme----7,0

7. Jango's Escape----4,0

8. The Meadow Picnic---6,0

9. Bounty Hunter's Pursuit----4,0

10. Return to Tatooine----6,0

11. The Tusken Camp and the Homestead----7,0

12. Love Pledge and the Arena----8,0

13. Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale----9,0

14. On The Conveyor Belt----9,0

Average rating: 6,3

Stefancos- who does have to much time on his hands. :)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Main Title/Ambush= 5 (since the first part's music from TPM)

2. Love Theme= 10

3. Zam/Chase= 9

4. Yoda= 7

5. Departure= 6 (I thought this was the weakest part but it's grown on me)

6. Anakin and Padme= 8

7. Jango's Escape= 6

8. Meadow Picnic= 10

9. Bounty Hunter's Pursuit= 4

10. Return to Tatooine= 8

11. Tusken Camp= 8 (love the dark version of Shmi's theme at the end)

12. Love Pledge/Arena= 10

13. Finale= 9

Average= 7.69

This kind of thing makes sense only after having seen the movie, save Track 2 (ahem, Tracksounds...)

Track One: 9

Track Two: 5

Track Three: 6

Track Four: 8

Track Five: 5

Track Six: 6

Track Seven: 3

Track Eight: 6

Track Nine: 5

Track Ten: 4

Track Eleven: 5

Track Twelve: 5

Track Thirteen: 8

Track Fourteen: 7

"Jango's Escape," undeniably, sucks.

Approx. 5.86 is the average.

"Jango's Escape," undeniably, sucks.

Indeed, this track is uncharacteristicly bad, considering Williams is usually pretty good in scoring these kind of action set pieces.

Harsh, ugly music, it is.

Stefancos- who has spoken.

It's thematicly and rhytmicly unintersting, overbearing and bombastic.

It could have been written by just about any composer, for any film.

Marian - who likes the trace of Boba Fett's motif in it.

Suuuuuuure... :roll:

Stefancos- wondering what all the fuss about Boba-Fett's Theme is?

Track 1: 7.5

Track 2: 9.0

Track 3: 9.0

Track 4: 8.0

Track 5: 7.0

Track 6: 4.0

Track 7: 5.0

Track 8: 6.0

Track 9: 8.5

Track 10: 8.0

Track 11: 7.0

Track 12: 9.0

Track 13: 9.5

Track 14: 8.5

tpigeon- who also thinks that Jango's Escape is one of most dull action cues Williams has ever composed.

As luck would have it, I was listening to this earlier today:

1 -- 8 (I still don't like the TPM opening)

2 -- 9 (I'm in love with the French horn section)

3 -- 10 (a word of caution: don't listen to this while driving....you will get a ticket for reckless driving)

4 -- 8 (the only rendition of Yoda's theme on the CD...that ups the score)

5 -- 7 (nothing to get excited about)

6 -- 7.5 (see track 5)

7 -- 9 (if JW wants to keep writing all his action cues like this, he's more than welcome)

8 -- 8 (first half OK, second half great)

9 -- 9 (the best Trade Federation orchestration ever, this theme should have covered the film's end as the clones are boarding the ships)

10 -- 9 (gets going after the first minute...loved the Force theme, DOTF reprise, and the Separatist theme)

11 -- 8 (once again, I'm not thrilled with the blatant Vader foreshadowing in the music. I'm convinced they're backing themselves in a corner [thus the hasty desire to rescore Ep. 4 with the Imperial March]. But as a cue I enjoy hearing the music at the Tusken camp and the return to the homestead)

12 -- 9 (yeah, the unused music is a treat, but William's melding of all the themes throughout is great)

13 -- 10 (the third best Star Wars end titles [behind ESB and ANH].....though I'm still iffy on the blatant use of the Imperial March [see tracks 9 and 11]. The music covering the wedding is perfection. The love theme/Anakin's theme/Vader's theme weaving is perfection. How does JW not cry when he hears this played for the first time?)

14 -- 8.5 (I have a theory. The music from the Coruscant chase should have been reprised in a few parts, if that whole Vader's theme thing is true, because Anakin's being very cocky and un-Jedi like. Plus, this cue sounds like a lighter version of the music from that sequence. In any case, this music is quite fun to listen to. )

As luck would have it, I was listening to this earlier today:

9 -- 9 (the best Trade Federation orchestration ever, this theme should have covered the film's end as the clones are boarding the ships)

)

It's the best part of the score,especially the buildup to the march.Unfortunatly it's only 20 seconds or so long. :)

K.M.

1. Star Wars Main Title and Ambush on Coruscant----7

I didn't like the Main Title just being an edit of the TPM Main Title, however the Camino music following is excellent.

2. Love Theme from Attack of the Clones (Across the Stars)----10

One of Williams best love themes to date.

3. Zam the Assassin and the Chase Through Coruscant----10

An excellent action cue which is suprisingly original in flavor.

4. Yoda and the Younglings----7

A sweet little cue. The return of Yoda's theme is nice. :)

5. Departing Coruscant----8

I like this cue. Not much else to say about it.

6. Anakin and Padme----6

This cue is somewhat boring to me. Although I'll need to take a listen to it.

7. Jango's Escape----10

Wonderfull! This is a great action cue and is probably the best action piece on the album let alone in the film.

8. The Meadow Picnic---7

Again somewhat of a boring cue although this is a nice piece and has some sweeping melody in there.

9. Bounty Hunter's Pursuit----9

I, for some reason, just love this track.

10. Return to Tatooine----9

Great use of the Mystery Motif along with Force theme and DOTF.

11. The Tusken Camp and the Homestead----8

This is a good suspense cue. And there is also a nice use of Vaders theme in there.

12. Love Pledge and the Arena----9

This track only gets 9 becuase the action music reminds me too much of Raiders. Although one could argue that that would be a good thing. :)

13. Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale----10

This gets 10 becuase I really like hearing the Imperial March in full blast (even if it is inapropriate to the film :) ) and the End Credits suite is excellent.

14. On The Conveyor Belt----9

A goofy action cue which is quite catchy after a few listens.

Overall rating: 10

Justin -Who think the last minute of Conveyor Belt is incredible.

1. Star Wars Main Title and Ambush on Coruscant----4.5 The new material is sort of dull but not bad.

2. Love Theme from Attack of the Clones (Across the Stars)----4 It's ok. Rather weak jaggered melody. And too bitter mixed with tenderness for me.

3. Zam the Assassin and the Chase Through Coruscant----7 Pretty fun.

4. Yoda and the Younglings----6.5 Ahh, Yoda's theme :music: Nice choir.

5. Departing Coruscant----6 Ahh, Horns :sigh:

6. Anakin and Padme----6 Some quite nice music.

7. Jango's Escape----10 This is great action music, extremely exciting. I love harsh, Steefy :wave: And not many composers could do it, most don't have the orchestration/layering ablities.

8. The Meadow Picnic---7 Quite good, especially the sunrise ending, better than most real sunrises.

9. Bounty Hunter's Pursuit----7 Fun. A little too choatic though.The herrmanesque middle bit is cool and the ending, great version of the TPM theme.

10. Return to Tatooine----9 This is where the score starts to get really into it, and gets very herrmannesque and I love Herrmann. That is after the average first 1:30.

11. The Tusken Camp and the Homestead----9 More herrmannesque music. Some moving music and some herrmannesque action music :nopity:

12. Love Pledge and the Arena----8 A good but seemingly uninspired version of the love theme (seems vague, emotionally) and action music with a brilliant theme.

13. Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale----8 First part could be better, but it is a very well put together end title.

14. On The Conveyor Belt----7 Fun.

1. Star Wars Main Title and Ambush on Coruscant / 9 /

2. Love Theme from Attack of the Clones (Across the Stars) / 10 /

3. Zam the Assassin and the Chase Through Coruscant / 9 /

4. Yoda and the Younglings / 7 /

5. Departing Coruscant / 8 /

6. Anakin and Padme / 7 /

7. Jango's Escape / 9 /

8. The Meadow Picnic / 8 /

9. Bounty Hunter's Pursuit / 10 /

10. Return to Tatooine / 10 /

11. The Tusken Camp and the Homestead / 7 /

12. Love Pledge and the Arena / 10 /

13. Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale / 10 /

14. On The Conveyor Belt / don't have this CD version /

1. Star Wars Main Title and Ambush on Coruscant / 5 /

2. Love Theme from Attack of the Clones (Across the Stars) / 7 /

5. Departing Coruscant / 7 /

6. Anakin and Padme / 6 /

7. Jango's Escape / 10 / it's a great action piece, why don't you like it? What's the big difference between that one and "Andersons Great Escape" from MR?

8. The Meadow Picnic / 7 /

11. The Tusken Camp and the Homestead / 9 /

13. Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale / 11;) /

14. On The Conveyor Belt /8/

Regards

Markuz

1. Star Wars Main Title and Ambush on Coruscant / 6 /

2. Love Theme from Attack of the Clones (Across the Stars) / 8 /

5. Departing Coruscant / 9 /

6. Anakin and Padme / 5 /

7. Jango's Escape / 10 / (14)

8. The Meadow Picnic / 9 /

11. The Tusken Camp and the Homestead / 9 /

13. Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale / 10/

14. On The Conveyor Belt /10/

I'll bite.

1. Star Wars Main Title and Ambush on Coruscant

Well, it's good, but not great. It doesn't grab you like the originals. Even TPM's was a bit better. But, like I said, it's good. Nice way to open the flick, but could've been better. 6.5

2. Love Theme from Attack of the Clones (Across the Stars)

I was afraid of this being really subpar, but I was incredibly surprised to find out it's one of Williams' best themes in recent times. I just love this theme, it's absolutely perfect. It's hopeful yet hopeless at the same time. Very bittersweet. A solid 10

3. Zam the Assassin and the Chase Through Coruscant

I had a feeling this track would be the winner of the score and I was right. It starts off wonderfully with the drums and the quiet moments building up the tension, then BAM, ObiWan jumps out the window and it gets going into one of the best chase tracks Williams has done since Last Crusade. I even like the guitar. Very dangerous to drive to. 10

4. Yoda and the Younglings

This one's cute. I really like the softness of Yoda's theme, and I REALLY dig the children's choir when they're looking at the starmap. Beautiful track. This was actually the first track I heard from the score and first heard Across the Stars but didn't know what it was, and fell in love with it anyway. The Force theme's a nice touch, too. 8

5. Departing Coruscant

Short, almost too short to really have much of an opinion on, but I REALLY like the version of the Force them that's used here. The background complex strings going as it builds is awesome, like the alternate to a Funeral Pyre for a Jedi. On that usage alone, it gets a 7.

6. Anakin and Padme

I usually skip through this one. I mean, it's a nice one, but doesn't really impress much. Maybe I should listen to it some more. 6

7. Jango's Escape

This one's okay. Well, better than okay. It's a fun track, action packed, but pretty standard, nothing special. 6.5

8. The Meadow Picnic

I really like this one, the different versions of Across the Stars are really appealing to me. Love when it suddenly gets kinda dark. 7.5

9. Bounty Hunter's Pursuit

I prefer this to Jango's Escape. Very exciting and well paced. The end appearance of the Trade Federation theme is amazing, I was very surprised to hear it at first. 8.5

10. Return to Tatooine

Another favorite on the score. It starts off kinda childish and innocent but suddenly turns darker and more mysterious, and then BAM. There it is. One of the best versions of the Force theme ever written, and to make it even better, it turns into Duel of the Fates. Now, true, it doesn't really fit that well, given the context of DotF in TPM, but who gives a crap, it's absolutely incredible to hear these two excellent themes back to back. I just wish I didn't hear it before I saw the movie, I honestly probably would've gotten a tear in my eye. 10

11. The Tusken Camp and the Homestead

I dig this one, too. Starts off quietly, sneaking around, builds up to the moment Anakin loses it, then Yoda senses this and we hear for the first time in the score (well, in a not subtle version anyway) the Imperial March. I REALLY like this usage, especially when right before in the movie we hear Vader breathing, which is a bit too much really, but it still works for me. I like how the tempo is a bit off, too, that makes it work even more. 8

12. Love Pledge and the Arena

Ah, the big action piece. But first...Across the Stars in probably it's best appearance in the score. Man...the first time I heard this, I got chills. THen it turned to the action, and it's so wonderfully done. There's a moment where it ALMOST sounds like the Imperial March with a crescendo and a marching beat, and then we get to hear the Force theme in a very desperate and intense way as Yoda realizes something bad's about to happen. I love how it begins, stops, and begins again. This whole track should've stayed completely in the film. A very solid 10

13. Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale

What some considered the Duel of the Fates of the AOTC soundtrack. Why? Duel of the Fates was it's own theme, it's a concert piece, Confrontation is a track going off of the movie with different themes in it. I never understood that comparison. Regardless, it starts off with a bang with flourishing strings and winds and we get to hear the Force theme one last time (which wasn't used in the movie in this context. Bah) Then it goes to background music for a little bit and builds up into a somewhat subdued version of the Imperial March, which quickly turns into a very POWERFUL version of the Imperial March, and that's what makes it work for me. I don't like the first time we hear it on this track, it just sounds sorta......"Hey, here it is, the Imperial March, remember this?" But luckily the second version saves it. Then it segues, somewhat uncomfortably into Across the Stars and breaks into the end credits. The Main Theme makes a VERY short appearance and once again goes into Across the Stars, but the ending is absolutely brilliant. Anakin's theme returns and is much more ominously hinted towards the Imperial March. 10

14. On The Conveyor Belt

This one's alright. Pretty standard Williams fare. Didn't impress me much when I heard the MP3 so I didn't bother looking for a CD with it on there. 5

Average score - Ah, who the hell knows.

Here is my rating:

Star Wars Main Title & Ambush On Coruscant (3/5)

Across The Stars (5/5)

Zam The Assasin & The Chase Through Coruscant (4/5)

Yoda & The Younglings (5/5)

Anakin & Padmè (4/5)

Departing Coruscant (3/5)

Jango`s Escape (4/5)

The Meadow Picnic (5/5)

Bounty Hunter`s Pursuit (3/5)

Return to Tatooine (5/5)

The Tusken Camp & The Homestead (4/5)

Love Pledge & The Arena (5/5)

Confrontation With Count Dooku & Finale (6/5) - favourite track

On The Conveyor Belt (4/5)

Over all rating: 4 out of 5

1. Main title and Ambush on Coruscant: 6.5 (I tend not to listen to this very often because while I love the atmosphericsof the Kamino music, it's such a burden to have to endure that uninspiring rendition of the main theme which I am well and truly desensitised too by this point.

2. Across the Stars: 9 (Awesome. Say no more)

3. Zam the Assassin and the Chase through Coruscant: 8 (Really long, but really well constructed and very tense and energetic. And I can just imagine all you road hogs with licenses getting speed tickets as a result LOL )

4. Yoda and the Younglings: 7 (Choir is nice and fresh but that's about all I have to say)

5. Departing Coruscant: 7.5 (This was one of my initial favourites. I love that it's short, but really majestic as well)

6. Anakin and Padme: 6.5 (Slow and very quiet, but there is a lot of merit hiden away here. It was only just the other week after about my 20th listen that I discovered one of the less prominent parts of Across the Stars used to great effect here)

7. Jango's Escape: 8.5 (I love this track and it's one of my favourites on the album! It really gets the juices flowing. And the arrival on Tatooine is a lovely contrast at the end)

8. The Meadow Picnic: 8 (The pastoral theme is great and brilliantly juxtaposed against the inspired darkness of the latter half)

9. Bounty Hunter's Escape: 7 (Don't listen to this one much, though it has it's moments. I think the initial action cue is lacking vitality, but I love the mystery of Kamino)

10. Return to Tatooine: 8 (I really like this one: lots of variety and showmanship on display)

11. Tusken Camp and Return to the Homestead: 9 (Another of my faves. It's a perfect companionpiece to Track 10 and is just filled with such sadness. I am constantly amazed at how complex and rich and fulfilling this track is)

12 Love Pledge and the Arena: 7 (Another track I tend to neglect. There are better version of the love theme and I find the Arena really unsatisfying and am almost glad it wasn't in the film. That said, I like its inclusion on the album, but think its a bit messy and dissonant to be truly effective. The end minutes of the track are good though)

13. Confrontation with Count Dooku and End Titles: 9 (Epic. I love that little flair during the last scene of the film, right before the amazing end titles come up. The integration of themes (love, Anakin's, Vader's) at the conclusion is simply sublime)

14. On the Conveyor Belt: 7.5 (a really neat little number, that should definitely have been included in its entirety in the film. Only problem is my CD's scratched around this point so I don't get to listen to it as much I'd like :) )

CYPHER

PS - Wouldn't it be a great idea to tally all these votes when we've given enough people time to respond, so we can get an average vote for each track? Calling all number-crunchers!