The Official "Recommend A Movie" Thread

Lurker

It seems that JWFan member Vosk hasn't seen many movies. The purpose of this thread is to get him to expand his horizons.

There are a few rules. The first rule is that the movie has to have been released before 1980. The other rule is that it cannot have a score by John Williams. You may only recommend one movie, so make it a good one.

I'll start: Chinatown

Neil

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll add: North by Northwest. Really fun and easy-going, but really good as well.

Heh, that just arrived from Netflix a few minutes ago. I'll have to watch it tonight.

Lawrence of Arabia has always been one of my favorite films, certainly my favorite "epic". Marvelous Maurice Jarre score, too.

Well, seeing as I'm just after watching it and as much as I'd have loved to list my beloved PSYCHO with an Academy Award worthy winning score by Bernard Herrmann, I have nominated Mr You Know Who to watch the Best Picture of 1973. F**K THE STING.

THE EXORCIST (1973)

Vosk, especially important is the warning to avoid conversations with the demon. You may ask what is relevant but anything beyond that is dangerous. He is a liar. The demon is a liar. He will lie to confuse you. But he will also mix lies with the truth to attack you. The attack is psychological, Vosk, and powerful. So don't listen to him. Remember that - do not listen. The Matrix was actually made in 1979.

Scaramouche. A classic swashbuckler, great script, great score, and the longest continuous fencing sequence in the history of cinema, to my knowledge. There's no reason for a Star Wars fan to not love this movie.

Tricky... Torn between North by Northwest, Casablanca, The Godfather Part 2, Spartacus and The Great Escape...

I think it'll have to be Casablanca. :sigh:

People Will Talk or The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. Joseph L. Mankiewicz is one of my favourite directors of the golden era, he's also one of the most underrated. If Vosk is ever interested in good character studies, with some great subtle humor mixed in, he should check those two films out. You'll also hear a great Herrmann score in the latter film that I think will eliminate pickiness as an option.

Oh, and by the way, Frank Capra's It's a Wonderful Life. Sorry to break the rules of this thread, but there are so many good films!

People Will Talk or The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.  Joseph L. Mankiewicz is one of my favourite directors of the golden era, he's also one of the most underrated.  If Vosk is ever interested in good character studies, with some great subtle humor mixed in, he should check those two films out.  You'll also hear a great Herrmann score in the latter film that I think will eliminate pickiness as an option.

Oh, and by the way, Frank Capra's It's a Wonderful Life.  Sorry to break the rules of this thread, but there are so many good films!

Pick one.

Neil

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir it is, then. Gene Tierney was gorgeous, Rex Harrison was hilarious and Benny's score was to die for. A very intelligent film and a touching love story.

I think someone should suggest some European and Asian cinema. There are so many hidden gems out there that aren't Hollywood based.

Bride of Frankenstein, 1935, great movie, with a great score by Frank Waxman.

of course its in black in white, and it doesn't have light saber fights, and it doesn't have any CGI,

and its a quality movie, which means vosk would hate it.

perhaps not, but if he has an open mind, he has a great number of terrific films suggestions to check out.

Bride of Frankenstein, 1935, great movie, with a great score by Frank Waxman.

:thumbup: I strongly recommend the first one (1931) as well. Call me blasphemous if you like, but I think Bride is over-scored. Both are excellent, and I can't decide which I prefer.

Shouldn't this thread be in the General Discussion considering it about "movies" to persuade Vosk to watch movie that he hasn't seen?

I'm not sure Vosk will find this thread funny.

I'm not sure I find it that funny either. Is this again about Vosk liking Star Wars and some people have found a new way to look "down" on him? Of course, this is all done under a vail; we are suggesting that we do this to "help Vosk expand his horizons", but what some are actually saying is "you stupid geek, you like AOTC and ROTS and you haven't even seen Citizen Kane!?? HAHAHAHAHHAAA"

Vosk doesn't appear to have seen any "old" films save those score by Williams.

You cannot appriciate modern film completely if you don't have some idea of the development of film over the last century or so.

Really roald, I would think that for a man of your intelligence and self-proclaimed love of "less then mainstream" films this would need no explanation.

We are educating Vosk, and others of his generation who might read this....

You cannot appriciate modern film completely if you don't have some idea of the development of film over the last century or so.

Oh...yes thats why mainly there have been only mentioned old Hollywood 'hits'.

Where is the rest of the world?

Luke, not all of these films were hits, at least at the BO, but most have been critical hits.

And Stefan, with the advent of widescreen, most subtitles now appear below the film in the bottom black box, and it makes subtitles more acceptable, at least to me.

Course it helps my sister is deaf and watches movies that way, so I've gotten used to them.

75% in one ear, and 60% in the other. She hears well with hearing aids, but she tends to talk loud.

We are educating Vosk, and others of his generation who might read this....

I hope you realise how totally absurd that sounds on numerous levels.

Really roald, I would think that for a man of your intelligence and self-proclaimed love of "less then mainstream" films this would need no explanation.

For me, the films that have been mentioned so far are still very mainstream. I would add Breaking The Waves, Festen, Whale Rider, Requiem for a Dream, Claire's Knee or Fanny and Alexander and I even think Vosk would like some of them more than, for example, The French Connection (which IS a great film no doubt).

This is NOT a Dogma-Forum or a forum on the history of American Cinema; it's a John Williams forum with a general love for Steven Spielberg films, James Bond, Superman and (yes, yes) Star Wars.

The only films that people obviously regard as 'great' are famous, old(er) American films. Lesser known great American films like Scorsese's Mean Streats or Woody Allen's Interiors are not likely to be mentioned.

In that regard, most here are just as "limited" in their cinematic taste as Vosk.

But don't worry; I don't feel anyone should be "educated" here.

I would add Breaking The Waves, Festen, Whale Rider, Requiem for a Dream, Claire's Knee or Fanny and Alexander and I even think Vosk would like some of them more than, for example, The French Connection (which IS a great film no doubt).

Glad to see you contributing to the education of todays youth.

But several of those are not pre-80's.

Roalds naivete is showing.

for someone like vosk who's not very opened minded to films, it makes no sense to give him obscure films that are well out of the main stream. He likes what he likes, but to give him something new to watch it ought to be somewhat close to what he's used too, baby steps, not grand leaps.

for the record Roald, you could have saved any criticism towards yourself by simply stating Mean Streets, and Interiors.

for someone like vosk who's not very opened minded to films, it makes no sense to give him obscure films that are well out of the main stream. He likes what he likes, but to give him something new to watch it ought to be somewhat close to what he's used too, baby steps, not grand leaps.

Your pseudo-psychological reasoning concerning what Vosk "will" or "will not" like, is laughable at best. And so narrow-minded.

I can assure you that nowadays people will find the narrative of Breaking The Waves for example (which you in pure Americana fashion, label as obscure), a lot more accesible than Citizen Kane or 2001.

for the record Roald, you could have saved any criticism towards yourself by simply stating Mean Streets, and Interiors.

I'm sorry Joe, but I'm not here to avoid criticism (although I hardly take it as such) or to be "butt-kisser".