The Official "Recommend A Movie" Thread

Lurker

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vosk. Check out Heat. It's the best cops and robbers film ever made.

I'm sorry, this film doesn't meet the criteria.

So far here are the recommended titles, Vosk. Maybe on your next trip to the video store (or Netflix) you may want to check some of these out.

Chinatown

North By Northwest

Rear Window

Citizen Kane

Lawrence of Arabia

The Exorcist

King Kong (1933)

Scaramouche

The French Connection

Casablanca

Psycho (1960)

Once Upon A Time In The West

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

Dersu Uzala

Taxi Driver

The Bride of Frankenstein

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three

Sunset Boulevard

West Side Story

Spartacus

Now let's begin round two. The same rules apply. Pre-1980 and no John Williams. Also, any movie previously mentioned cannot be repeated.

I'll begin again: Some Like it Hot

Neil

Sorry, one thing is recomend someone a few movies and another different thing is making this like a contest with rules, rounds and so. And even add a little 'reality show' about 'How will he feel about this thread?'

Its getting close to bad taste.

I have a pretty clear definition of Bad taste: Liking Zimmer and Co.

;) you earned it.

I know there are far worse things in this life than being lectured about what movies you should see. But this can be done with politeness and be more effective.

...Are you hinting that we should all put together a donation bank and buy Vosk all these movies and ship them to him...

Hey hey hey, if we're going there... I haven't seen any old movies either! ;)

LOL I don't have a lot of "old" movies on DVD, but I've seen quite a lot - mostly on TV or rented DVDs. I don't own that many DVDs at all, actually, whenever I'm in a store I always end up buying CDs. ;)

I'll probably start collecting films properly when HD comes along (and I can afford it). I hear The Adventures of Robin Hood is going to be released in HD soon... ;)

Re-releases in higher definition format is great for dubbing users. We get acustomed with the old mix and then they redub it with the latest 5.1 or whatever technology. It ruins the magic IMO. Miraculously SW has not suffered this yet...

Sorry, one thing is recomend someone a few movies and another different thing is making this like a contest with rules, rounds and so. And even add a little 'reality show' about 'How will he feel about this thread?'

Its getting close to bad taste.

What the hell are you talking about?

Neil is trying to steer clear of any movie made after 1980 and the film cannot contain a score by Williams. What is so difficult or wrong about that? Or did you not read the original thread that spawned this idea?

I'll recommend Gojira.

Oops, I didn't read the rules first time around.

Ok. City Lights is as good an introduction to silent comedy as just about anything.

Oops, I didn't read the rules first time around.

Ok. City Lights is as good an introduction to silent comedy as just about anything.

I'll add The Gold Rush, my favorite Chaplin film.

- Marc, who had to choose between taping The Kid or Barry Lyndon today, but chose the latter.

Pick one.

Neil

I meant to ask - why are you limiting it do one recommendation each, out of interest?

Because I don't want to read lists of everyones favorite movie. That's not the point of this thread.

km, The Godfather was already recommended, so I'll only accept your Godfather Part II recommendation.

Neil

Planet of the Apes (1968) - Jerry should have won an Oscar for his outstanding score. And Chuck Heston has never been quieter in a movie.

Don't watch any of these. Almost all of them are overrated films.Classics,phew.

Including Overacting and terrible scores.And I'm serious.

Overacting? Taxi Driver? You have a very corrupt, twisted idea of reality, hornist.

I watch subtitles all the time because my wife is Thai and it helps her with bigger words and phrases that she hasn't yet mastered.

Oddly, the only R1 DVD I own with Thai seubtitles is Empire of the Sun and I haven't shown it to her yet.

As for great movies not scored by Wlliams and pre-1980, I'll add Rocky and The Black Hole. Two of my childhood faves.

BTW, is Vosk Trenton Bennett? Wherever Trent is he owes me CDs gardangit!

BTW2... I am utterly thrlled to see Megatron posting right above me. The *real* Magatron, not the post-G1 wanna-bes.

As for great movies not scored by Wlliams and pre-1980, I'll add Rocky and The Black Hole. Two of my childhood faves.

Pick one.

BTW, is Vosk Trenton Bennett?

Yes.

Neil