• 2 weeks later...

Well the design isn't nearly as impressive though, nor is there any real reason for it to be (I mean it is just a town after all).

And keep in mind, they never built whole versions of Minas Tirith and Helm's Deep. Just various portions, which were later mixed in with miniature shots.

Well the design isn't nearly as impressive though, nor is there any real reason for it to be (I mean it is just a town after all).

And keep in mind, they never built whole versions of Minas Tirith and Helm's Deep. Just various portions, which were later mixed in with miniature shots.

And the current Dale is in ruins. I am sure they built it first in the prologue guise and then aged it to the "after Smaug's attack" version. But isn't that the same quarry near Wellington where both Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith were built?

Yeah that was my first thought. But I guess PJ still has some good in him still.

A lot of the best Pelennor shots were actually filmed at location.

And Helm's Deep looked damn impressive. Both that and Minas Tirith looked real. Dale is so glossed up by CGI and bloom that it looks like it was digitially created anyways.

Without technological restrictions, PJ is incapable of instilling the same sense of realism he created in LotR.

I know what you're talking about, but I didn't think it was excessive and had no problem with it. It looked beautiful on screen.

Yeah, I'm not sure what you're talking about SUH. That's one of the best shots in the trilogy.

The Helm's Deep battle as a whole is one of the best battle sequences in modern cinema.

I don't think we're talking about the same scene anymore...

It looked bloody impressive!!

You know what looks fake? The Dale explosion at AUJ prologue.

You'll see why they built Beorn's house in the EE of DOS.

Is this educated guesswork? Because they still haven't confirmed that the introduction scene is back in. I know they filmed it, but they filmed a lot of stuff...

The Gandalf and Beorn conversation/flashback is a given, but it looks like that conversation takes place in a forest.

The way they formulated the opening of the DoS meant that any quaint stuff like the introduction of the company to Beorn the way it is done in the book must have been scrapped right from the get go as it bogs the opening up and diminishes tension and pacing when they are supposed to be in mortal danger from Azog and his warg riders. I really can't see them putting something like that into the film now.

I was fucking annoyed to say the least that the beorn scene didn't play out like the book. The introduction of the dwarves two by two as Gandalf's plan. Aggh!

But will it be used for the EE?

After being chased inside Beorn's house by the master of the house, does it make sense for Gandalf to introduce them again next morning?

Indeed. We know from Martin Freeman it was filmed - in the morning, he and Gandalf would brave going outside to find Beorn chopping wood, at which point the piecemeal introduction would begin, with the Dwarves emerging from the house. But it hasn't been confirmed that this has been re-instated. PJ has promised a couple more Beorn scenes for the EE but they might not include this. I sincerely hope it does, and that we get Beorn's "Never heard of him" line. I'd be very happy with this introduction, the conversation with Gandalf, and a brief scene of him giving supplies and weapons to the company (thus explaining Thorin's bow, which would make sense if they're adding back the scene where he tries to shoot the stag in Mirkwood):

lddspromo14.jpg

Plus it would be a nice chance for some fairly playful music.

It does appear tricky, as when Bilbo is waking up it seems that the Dwarves are already at the table. Unless of course Bilbo says something like "Now if you'll excuse me I'm going back to bed" and then it can just play out as in the theatrical. I really don't want to lose the lovely music that plays over the horses and Bilbo waking up, and it would make more sense if we saw that having established that Beorn was not a threat.

Then again though, a Hobbit turning down food even for sleep seems a huge stretch.

Alternatively, you could do a fairly smooth transition between Gandalf introducing Thorin and then cutting to breakfast and having Beorn say "So you are the one they call Oakenshield?" I had presumed that was a consequence of them initially having the Azanulbizar flashback at Beorn's house, but maybe it has something to do with that instead?

Of course it will be in the EE. You guys are silly sometimes.

And you make far too often such statements of fact Jason. Reveal the source of thy certainty!

This would not be the first time a M-E EE moves scenes/shots around to fit a new cut, look at the battle of the Pelennor Fields in ROTK! (Merry getting out from underneath the Mumakil and Pippin getting hold of Gandalf and telling him of Denethor's madness are in different places in the TE than in the EE)

For that scene to work they'd need to cut out the chase altogether or partway or I don't know...

They wouldn't, because as I said it is intended to take place the next morning, with them all emerging from the house to meet Beorn as he's chopping wood. It's the Bilbo waking up scene in its present form that's the problem.

We also anticipate an extensive re-working of the Dol Guldur scenes to accomodate Thrain, so major editorial changes aren't out of the question.

Ah that is a good question. Perhaps the White Council brings him a spare staff after the battle Dol Guldur when they have freed him. Same situation as in FotR when he escapes from Orthanc and has a brand new but quite similar staff again when they are in Rivendell. ;)

I for one dislike that they tie the wizard's powers to his staff in many of the modern fantasy movies. It diminishes their true power when they are all but helpless fool without their "little magic stick" to wave around. Gandalf does channel his powers through his staff in the novels on occasion but is capable of working his magic without it.