PJ is REALLY unwell then.

So any explanations as to why the Orcs are saying "GROND!!" in that clip? ;)

Things that may be left for the EE (from the artbook):

4. Fili gets beheaded by Azog and then his corpse is thrown at Thorin’s feet, enraging Thorin. [no beheading in the theatrical edition]
5. Azog is killed by Thorin but Thorin is badly wounded in return. He’s saved by Beorn.
6. Galadriel confronts Sauron using the power of her ring Nenya: the fight is so powerful that Dol Goldur collapses. [DG doesn’t collapse.]
11. Gandalf will look through a Palantir and he will see what would happen if Smaug won’t be killed. Sauron reveals his plot to join forces with Smaug. [not in the theatrical edition]

My oh my, I did not like that music at all. Ok it's probably great on its own in a bubble. But a scene like that should have been scored by the great theme Bilbo had in AUJ. Bah! I'm Sure it was PJ who requested the Shire theme there instead...

Yes, we should have heard yet another statement of the Baggins/Took theme on French Horn.

Seriously, the Shire theme hate is getting old.

It's true though. Bilbo's themes are fitting, beautiful and - the most importantly - fresh. They really should have carried the audience through this trilogy.

It's true though. Bilbo's themes are fitting, beautiful and - the most importantly - fresh.

I really could not hear the Baggins/Took theme working here though, atleast not the same effect, BT is reflective, not heroic.

The Shire theme is heroic?

It lends itself more to sounding heroic then the B/T theme IMHO, as in, I couldn't imagine B/T sounding like the Shire theme in this clip.

It's true though. Bilbo's themes are fitting, beautiful and - the most importantly - fresh. They really should have carried the audience through this trilogy.

Yeah, but would we really have needed yet another Horn statement of the theme?

Of course. It's not meant to. It's Bilbo's theme, not the pensieve Shire theme.

Yeah...?

Just imagine for a minute the B phrase of Bilbo's theme in that scene. It won't sound like the Shire theme of course, but you can hear where Shore wanted to go with this theme. The pensieve Shire theme sounds too cute in a scene like this.

Of course. It's not meant to. It's Bilbo's theme, not the pensieve Shire theme.

Yeah...?

Just imagine for a minute the B phrase of Bilbo's theme in that scene. It won't sound like the Shire theme of course.

No, it would sound just like it always sounded.

The Shire theme is used in LOTR for the Shire itself, and then Hobbits longing for / thinking about the Shire.

In TH, Shore wrote a perfectly good set of themes specifically for Bilbo and all the various turns his adventure takes. PJ ended up replacing a lot of them with LOTR-sounding Shire Theme covers in the first film, and has had Shore almost always only use the Shire theme for Bilbo related stuff ever since. Even the perfectly good Fussy theme (that thankfully did return in DOS) is now replaced by yet another Bilbo theme instead of concluding all the greatness Shore was setting up in the AUJ score!

It's the most frustrating aspect of this score trilogy!

Another clip:

Nice horn statement of Shire theme!

Almost sounds like it is going into one of Bilbo's themes!

Really like it. That's some FotR style drama writing there!

The horn statement sounds kind of History of Violence-ish too.

The Shire theme is used in LOTR for the Shire itself, and then Hobbits longing for / thinking about the Shire.

In TH, Shore wrote a perfectly good set of themes specifically for Bilbo and all the various turns his adventure takes. PJ ended up replacing a lot of them with LOTR-sounding Shire Theme covers in the first film, and has had Shore almost always only use the Shire theme for Bilbo related stuff ever since. Even the perfectly good Fussy theme (that thankfully did return in DOS) is now replaced by yet another Bilbo theme instead of concluding all the greatness Shore was setting up in the AUJ score!

It's the most frustrating aspect of this score trilogy!

Yes.

The use of the Shire theme in these films is very obvious and superficial, and fits well with the general air of superficial decisions on this trilogy as a whole.

A statement like the one in Axe Or Sword? would be brilliant with this scene.

I think its obvious that either the version of the music in the clip is a revision, or the OST is microedited.

OK finally got a chance to watch this for reals, with sound on.

The fuzziness makes it too hard to really comment on the imagery and how real/fake it all looks, but the sudden stopping of the music is really annoying and ruins the pace of the scene

Another clip:

Finally had a chance to watch this for real too. Yea, I'm loving the acting by Freeman and McKellen here. They really are the best parts of these films.

The music still really annoys me. Shire Theme just doesn't work there. Hopefully one of Bilbo's Themes at least plays in the next scene

In that battle clip, the lack of music is just another really bad editing choice, much like Flies and Spiders, and the Forest River.

PJ's sensibilities in music have completely vanished.

Another clip:

Love that Shire quotation over the pedal point; the descent to the VIIb ( C ) is really unexpected. Nice hint of the History of the Ring too.

Just the first 2 notes of the HOTR theme really. I wonder where Shore will stick a full statement of the theme into the score (it's gotta have one, since all 5 other scores do)

Another clip:

Love that Shire quotation over the pedal point; the descent to the VIIb ( C ) is really unexpected. Nice hint of the History of the Ring too.

Yeah, its a lovely setting of theme isn't it? So much nicer than your usual D major.

Also, am I the only one who feels the font choice for Azog's gibberish adds to the video game vibe?

Its pretty much the same as the font from LOTR.

I'm not really a fan that they chose to have Sauron and all the orcs speak some other language and have it be subtitled in the Hobbit films to begin with. He should have just had them all speak English

Yeah, How dare they use Tolkien's* languages! :stick:

(*And Salo)

As much as I like them speaking in Black Speech the villains unfortunately all chew on their words like they were raw meat. No one who speaks their mother tongue does not speak it so slowly as they do in LotR and Hobbit. Azog and Sauron seem to chew on every word as if it was the last one in the world. Other languages sound fluent and fluid but Black Speech is just porridge in their mouths. I know this must be some strange artistic decision but it sounds really like someone only fluent in the basics of a language trying to order a cup coffee at the restaurant. They should have the speed of a native speaker.

Special Editions.... Bad "Prequels"... passing of the ability to make new films to someone else...

PJ actually stepped in rather reluctantly. He would have been very happy just producing but the situation with Guillermo pushed him to direct instead of leaving the film to languish in developmental limbo for any longer. Not that it was perhaps a good decision. Still the same group (Fran, Peter and Philippa) worked on the scripts...

Nice shot. Really digging the armour designs, and nice to see Bilbo in his mithril!

Just wish there was less bloom in it.

Yeah I really like the dwarven armor. And Bilbo getting his mithril vest. And yes the film has too much bloom as Barnald said. Not the light but the Orlando kind.

Shit. These films have some totally ace shots, whatever else is wrong with them.

Some ace shots do not a good film make.

Seriously, the Shire theme hate is getting old.

It's not the Shire theme that people hate, it's its overuse. It comes to a point where its use almost becomes parodic.

"Oh, a sad an reflective moment! Quick, activate the Shire Theme Protocol!"

We already had a shitload of statements of that theme in LOTR. The Hobbit would have been the opportunity to offer something new, and Shore came up with that lovely theme for Bilbo, that is reminiscent of the Shire theme while still being different enough. But PJ wanted to reuse the Shire theme for some reason...

Well, at least it showed up only once in DOS, I'll give you that.

Do we really need yet another statement of the Shire theme?

Trumpet version of Bilbo's theme would have been better!

I don't really get what you mean. As it is now Bilbo's themes are barely used in the final movies, yet the Shire theme has been used plenty. How would a horn version of Bilbo's theme feel like "yet another" statement?

Even so, I never said I wanted it to be a horn statement, but his theme instead of the Shire's.

I can't believe that 2 years on, people are still pining away for some alternate unused bilbo theme that clearly isn't part of these films and was only included on the album as a curiosity of sorts. "Bilbo's theme" is the Shire theme.

It breaks my heart to think that was probably one of the first themes Shore came up with for these films (first trailer), and he liked it so much he decided to reconstitute it as a theme for Bard's wank family, which no one cares about.

Say what you will, but they're awfully similar.

I can't believe that 2 years on, people are still pining away for some alternate unused bilbo theme that clearly isn't part of these films and was only included on the album as a curiosity of sorts. "Bilbo's theme" is the Shire theme.

Are you even serious right now? It's not a curiosity on the OST; it's the main theme of the score, playing throughout the entire program!

It was included on the album because it was Shore's original draft of the score and the album was probably locked before they entirely erased Bilbo's themes from the first film. But yes pining after it is not going to help but one can always dream. I for one thought it was something PJ and the team should never have discarded. Using it side by side with Shire theme would have been an excellent idea but reinforce Bilbo's character with it on pivotal moments and then use the Shire themes when they wanted more emphasis on the general nature of hobbits.

Are you even serious right now? It's not a curiosity on the OST; it's the main theme of the score, playing throughout the entire program!

I meant that it was included as a draft/alternate/early version call it what you will. Much like the alternate radagast music, and other alternate ideas. They tried out a lot of things in the early sessions and the album was a chance to present more music that had been created during the process. For the final score the decision was obviously made to use the shire theme for bilbo, and that's what they've gone with subsequently.

I think its obvious that either the version of the music in the clip is a revision, or the OST is microedited.

Oh my god! In comparison the AOTC CGI work is a masterpiece. In 15 years i haven't seen CGI in a major budget film look that fake, lighting and color look that wrong and bloom effects that overdone! Where did all the fucking money go.... :eh:

Yeah, but it still looks like a cut scene from a video game. One with good graphics, but a video game nonetheless.

But it is still leagues ahead of the shit in the prequels.