I'm a big LOTR fan and less than thrilled with PJ's and Shore's contributions. There are no way near a dream team for this kind of project. I was underwhelmed by the previous movies and scores, so I have no reason to be optimistic.

"Enya" doesn't equal "new age music".

Enya wrote Aniron and May It Be, and it was indeed a wise decision that Howard Shore was allowed to write all subsequent songs himself.

But it would testify for mindblowing exaggeration to judge a three hour score based on two songs, of which one isn't even in the movie itself.

I'm gonna start charging you reuse fees. :)
dr_evil.jpg

Riiigghtttt

OK, that's another 50 cents...How much is that Austin concert ticket again? :P

When I watched LotR again this last week that is one thing that bugged me, there are is a lot of slo-mo, not all of it totally necessary. Not a serious complaint for me though, just a quibble.

When Frodo gets "stabbed" by the troll is one. There's a couple of cutbacks to him in that "slo-mo echo chamber" sound that bugged me.

There's a lot in RotK at the destruction of the ring (the Fellowship's reaction) and the Fellowship's reunion. And Haladir's death in TTT. And those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head.

When the spear thrown by the troll cave strikes frodo.

When frodo falls from Arwen horse.

When Éomoer founds Éowyn on the Pelennor fileds.

When Frodo awakes after Mount Doom (the complete eagle scene previous to this)

Sorry, there are many more. That you cannot remember them shows that you see these movies in a different way than people that are not totally convinced about them...

And when i made the Jackson-Lucas Connection, i was thinking on:

Owning a SFX company and being SFX lovers, lots of trademarked Merchandising, re-releases (please before saying Lucas is worse at this, look into how many times the LOTR movies have been re-released in the few years after its creation, and mostly re-packagings of the EE), extended editions (Jackson is better in this regard)...

That you cannot remember them shows that you see these movies in a different way than people that are not totally convinced about them...

If you are trying to say that I watched them with an open mind, opposed to people who hit the Play button with a pretty pre-determined mind because they don't want them to succeed for reasons you may be able to follow, then yes, I do watch them differently.

And that includes realising that it's irrelevant whether a couple of scenes have slo-mo or not when you evaluate a film.

No matter how hard you try to push me into a certain corner, believe it or not, I never heard of Tolkien before I watched FOTR in fall of 2002 on DVD.

(please before saying Lucas is worse at this, look into how many times the LOTR movies have been re-released in the few years after its creation, and mostly re-packagings of the EE)

They've been released exactly three times: first the theatrical cut, then the Extended Editions, and later the theatrical/extended combo with the Costa Botes docus.

And while you can argue about the value of the latter, at least the Botes documentaries have something to say and every right to be released, opposed to many many many other "special features" that say nothing, do nothing, and smell of being solely designed to promote the movie and provide material to fill a second disc; and none of all the releases are simply an old hat with new covers.

(please before saying Lucas is worse at this, look into how many times the LOTR movies have been re-released in the few years after its creation, and mostly re-packagings of the EE)

They've been released exactly three times: first the theatrical cut, then the Extended Editions, and later the theatrical/extended combo with the Costa Botes docus.

Well, there was this standard EE release with (with hard paper case...what is the word for that material? i forgot :) ) , the collectors edition one with a bonus scupture, the a year or so later a cheaper DVD plastic case. The Three EE in one package...

ROTK was released in 2003 and we have more releases of the trilogy in 4 years than the SW trilogy in the 80's and 90's i think.

And jackson has not even had had to change from VHS to DVD.

And if we speak of the scores well, the OST got several editions of the releases at the same time, covers and all.

But the scores all have definitive releases now, so there won't be any more re-releases. At least, I don't think so.

You never know. Maybe a package with the three of them, or bundled with the book, or cheaper versions without the great package and liner notes...

But i was speaking of the OSTs

Anyway (its a good thing, really, and very well done and nothing to complain) But having the CR released is another example of what i am speking about. Between 2001 and 2007 there have been three releases of the scores (OST, Deluxe OST and CR).

For starwars you had to wait 10 years after ROTJ for expanded releases and 20 years after SW for the SEs.

I thought the two Enya songs were easily the best songs in the series.

Agreed. Not to mention that they somehow actually felt more a part of the score than the other two.

So be it. But why is it bad?

They were way overused and started to make the films feel heavy.

Burga - who thinks FOTR is brilliant, the sequels less so

I'm optimistic! My main wishes are for Serkis, McKellen, Jackson and Shore to return. And someone good to voice Smaug.

Would also be nice for John Rhys Davies to play Gloin!

Jackson is already involved. For the sake of musical unity, I also hope they get Shore. Serkis is a shoe-in because he only has to provide a vocal performance. McKellen is a must. Even though I didn't care for the casting of Hugo Weaving as Elrond, they should get him anyway for the sake of continuity. It would be cool to see Christopher Lee as Saruman again.

And yes, I would love to see John Rhys-Davies as Gimli's father! The could make him look different enough to visually differentiate Gloin from Gimli, and I'm sure the script, direction and acting could vary the actor's performance enough to differentiate the characterizations.

But I'm sorry, Ian Holm would be all wrong for Bilbo. Septuagenarian Holm was perfect for 111-year-old Bilbo in LOTR. But Bilbo is supposed to be middle-aged in The Hobbit, and Holm will at least be 77 when they film these movies.

That would be like having a man almost 77-year-old play the Force-ghost of a recently-deceased 45-year-old Anakin Skywalker!

Jackson is already involved. For the sake of musical unity, I also hope they get Shore. Serkis is a shoe-in because he only has to provide a vocal performance. McKellen is a must. Even though I didn't care for the casting of Hugo Weaving as Elrond, they should get him anyway for the sake of continuity. It would be cool to see Christopher Lee as Saruman again.

Jackson is not confirmed for director, however.

And Andy Serkis is more than a voice - there was an entire motion-capture technology that was refined to make Gollum so realistic in TTT and RotK. :lol:

And Andy Serkis is more than a voice - there was an entire motion-capture technology that was refined to make Gollum so realistic in TTT and RotK. :lol:

It looks like someone has watched his special features. :( I stand corrected. But I still think Serkis is a shoe-in, the easiest person to get to be in these movies.

From Fangoria online....

Raimi returns to horror with HELL

Variety reports that Sam Raimi is getting back into the fright game with DRAG ME TO HELL, which he’ll direct for Ghost House Pictures next year. The script, by Raimi and his brother Ivan, was originally called THE CURSE and written over a decade ago, following the completion of ARMY OF DARKNESS, which the duo also co-wrote. It centers on the unwitting recipient of a supernatural curse, and Raimi’s Ghost House partner Rob Tapert tells the trade, “Sam calls it a ‘spook-a-blast,’ a wild ride with all the chills and spills that EVIL DEAD delivered, without relying on the excessive violence of that film. When one has done three very expensive movies [the SPIDER-MAN franchise], they get used to eating caviar. Sam will have to ponder what it means to come down from the mountaintop for a moment.

“The appeal to Sam on DRAG ME TO HELL was returning to what he had once done and loved doing, which was entertaining a very specific group of fans and providing a rollercoaster ride for them,” Tapert continues. “He doesn’t have the enormous pressure here that goes with handling a hundreds-of-millions-of-dollars franchise.” Nonetheless, Raimi will return to megabucks tentpole filmmaking following DRAG ME TO HELL; he’ll helm the two HOBBIT movies for New Line, MGM and executive producer Peter Jackson. —Michael Gingold

:( :(

Peter? Please come back.

Rotten Tomatoes:

"I think there's no better choice to direct The Hobbit than Peter Jackson," said Raimi. "I'm a giant fan of the Lord of the Rings trilogy and Peter Jackson's a brilliant filmmaker. He would be the guy I think everybody would like to see direct it. I hear they're talking too, from reading the trade magazines. I don't really know firsthand but that's good. Hopefully he will direct it and give us his great version of it."

Nonetheless, Raimi will return to megabucks tentpole filmmaking following DRAG ME TO HELL; he’ll helm the two HOBBIT movies for New Line, MGM and executive producer Peter Jackson. —Michael Gingold

Smells like a lazy journalist reprinting old rumors to me.

Please no Sam raimi... I dont want his brother to appear as a cameo in middle earth!

But well he has made the same kind of movies that peter jackson had prior to making LOTR...

Nah, bring jackson please!

Anyway (its a good thing, really, and very well done and nothing to complain) But having the CR released is another example of what i am speking about. Between 2001 and 2007 there have been three releases of the scores (OST, Deluxe OST and CR).

For starwars you had to wait 10 years after ROTJ for expanded releases and 20 years after SW for the SEs.

I said that the release of the CR was the good thing and i had nothing to complain...

You made it sound as if having the one disc soundtrack and the complete scores within three years was for some reason worse that waiting 20 years ... "Having the CR released is another example of what I am speaking about" ... what *are* you speaking about?

Incoherent like a plate of spaghetti.

You never know. Maybe a package with the three of them, or bundled with the book, or cheaper versions without the great package and liner notes...

There won't be cheaper versions with less content because the CRs were intended to be perfect releases and the complete vision of Howard Shore in the first place.

If such things will find a release, I doubt they will happen with a big fat "Okay" from their creators. Contrary to certain other people I might add.

I said that the release of the CR was the good thing and i had nothing to complain...

You made it sound as if having the one disc soundtrack and the complete scores within three years was for some reason worse that waiting 20 years ... "Having the CR released is another example of what I am speaking about" ... what *are* you speaking about?

Incoherent like a plate of spaghetti.

Really?

In case you didnt notice I was speaking that Lucas-Jackson were very similar money wise. In that matter both have released their movies and products several times. The point i was dicussing then is that jackson has nearly overpassed Lucas in number of re-releases in less than one third of the time Lucas spent.

BTW, what is incoherent in a plate of Spaghetti? :mellow:

There won't be cheaper versions with less content because the CRs were intended to be perfect releases and the complete vision of Howard Shore in the first place.

If such things will find a release, I doubt they will happen with a big fat "Okay" from their creators. Contrary to certain other people I might add.

So the CR will always cost a load of money, will never be repackaged, and will not have any selling value when LOTR movies get their 10, 20, 25, 30... anniversaries?

Come on. Specially with every liner note regarding the scores available in the upcoming book.

And i'm sure Howard shore or or Reprise records and whoever gets money with this will not complain much about some extra income.

There is also the possibility of completer CR re-releases with a bonus disc comprised of alternates from the rarities disc...

In case you didnt notice I was speaking that Lucas-Jackson were very similar money wise. In that matter both have released their movies and products several times. The point i was dicussing then is that jackson has nearly overpassed Lucas in number of re-releases in less than one third of the time Lucas spent.

It is hardly uncommon for films to be re-released multiple times on the home video market at all.

Lucasfilm had three seperate releases of the original trilogy within two years!

And that's just on DVD. There have been numerous VHS and other format releases before that.

I'm not trying to do a Jackson vs. Lucas battle here, but Manuel, it seems like every time someone says something nice about Peter Jackson, you feel you have to compare him to George Lucas and defend the Star Wars dude.

I'm not trying to do a Jackson vs. Lucas battle here, but Manuel, it seems like every time someone says something nice about Peter Jackson, you feel you have to compare him to George Lucas and defend the Star Wars dude.

And other people do the other way arround....

And many who do not start... take the 'bait' very hard.

Or sometimes they tease me

Its not just me :mellow:

BTW the only thing comparable to SW (in scope, not in content) is the LOTR trilogy...

Note: on the other hand i dont like that when i say something nice about PJ or something bad about George Lucas (or their respective movies) it is underlooked and becomes forgotten very quickly...

Unlike Lucas, Jackson has given us everything up front and announced that there would be special editions of the movies coming so you had the choice to buy the original version or wait a few months to get the extended version. They also released complete scores with a DVD-A in GOOD sound. So Peter Jackson has given his fans what they have wanted within a span of 4 years after the last film was released.

Yes Manual I'm sure there will be a re-issue many years down the line once original versions are out of print.

Unlike Lucas, Jackson has given us everything up front and announced that there would be special editions of the movies coming so you had the choice to buy the original version or wait a few months to get the extended version. They also released complete scores with a DVD-A in GOOD sound. So Peter Jackson has given his fans what they have wanted within a span of 4 years after the last film was released.

For the fans is very good, and i am very pleased for that.

But i also think it has worn out the LOTR franchise faster that it should have. If there was no hobbit movie being made, this franchise would not last in the minds of people for 30 years (untill a remake...), because there wont be anything new to wait/expect for the future...

BTW am i the only one who thinks that expanded extended editions will surface in the future? They seemed to have more hours of footage... It would be cool as a 'one volume movie' as it should be :mellow:

We know there is still material out there that hasn't been released.

The original flight into Lothlórien.

The Orcs being killed by Fangorn at Helm's Deep (actual graphic footage).

More of Arwen and Elrond from RotK (as seen in the trailer).

And there's probably more than that.

Chances are they're holding some of that off until a superdupermegaultraextended HD set arrives.

Then again, there weren't any deleted scenes on the Star Wars OT set either...

(Yes, I know I just did a Lucas/Jackson comparison. I must admit, it is tempting...)

Yes. But I wouldn't be surprised if they pop up on an HD-release in the future. I think they've said something similar about more documentary footage, although I'm not sure if those are the docs that ended up on the Limited Edition DVD releases.

New scenes are excellet selling points for anniversaries.

I would do it.

I hope the music for those is secretly already recorded, or at least they bring shore and the same performers again and not just edited music. I was going to say 'unlike other famous franchise' but i'm not allowed to make comparisons.... :)

New scenes integrated into the film are also an excellent artistical addition because they help to understand the creation process of the films.

It doesn't always have to be about money.

Sorry I missed that.

What do you mean by "heavy"? Because I would percieve that attribute as a compliment for movies that were intended to be "heavy".

Lord of the Rings is not comedy. Or at least the rest around Gimli isn't.

What do you mean by "heavy"? Because I would percieve that attribute as a compliment for movies that were intended to be "heavy".

Unfortunately, it's an important attribute of modern movies that they don't take themselves seriously. So even the darkest tragedy better not be too heavy...

:)

New scenes integrated into the film are also an excellent artistical addition because they help to understand the creation process of the films.

The money is always a factor, sometimes with more importance and others with less...

Sorry I missed that.

I think he is not speaking of content, but pace.

The slow mo adds a lot to the sense that things take too long to happen. Best example: the thirty minutes ending of ROTK.

True, but the fade-outs and -ins were unnecessary and frankly a tad annoying. I didn't hate the ending, but it could have been done better.

I'm posting from a planet where we watch the movie before we review it or decide to boycott it. It is very simple to live on this planet. If we read about a movie and we are not interested in watching it, then we don't watch it. If we want to watch it, we do. After viewing the movie, we may decide if we like the movie or not. Sometimes we tell other people our opinions, even when no one else cares.

For example, I have seen both Terminator and "T2." After veiwing each movie, I decided that they sucked. Based on my experiences, I decided to not bother with the third Terminator movie. I have no opinion on the third movie because I have never seen it.

Since I am an alien to your world, please forgive my poor command of your language. Thanks.

The money is always a factor, sometimes with more importance and others with less...

Sorry I missed that.

I think he is not speaking of content, but pace.

The slow mo adds a lot to the sense that things take too long to happen. Best example: the thirty minutes ending of ROTK.

Yea that was what I meant. ;)

A quick ending wouldn't have done justice to LOTR, in either book or film.

Its ok in book form, but not on film. I think there is something in the human brain which causes us (ok most of us) to start losing interest the moment the climax is over. ROTK had a perfect Star Wars moment at the 'kneel before the hobbits' bit to end but unfortunately, it went on for another agonizing 20minutes or so, most of it in slo-mo. If only PJ had the guts to give that bit the chop. ;)

Or maybe they really don't see the reason why they should be released. Maybe they're bad, not right for the already long versions.

Make that 'too long'

A quick ending wouldn't have done justice to LOTR, in either book or film.

Its ok in book form, but not on film. I think there is something in the human brain which causes us (ok most of us) to start losing interest the moment the climax is over. ROTK had a perfect Star Wars moment at the 'kneel before the hobbits' bit to end but unfortunately, it went on for another agonizing 20 minutes or so, most of it in slo-mo. If only PJ had the guts to give that bit the chop. ;)

Well, the ending is too long and it does not feature the most important part of it, the scouring of the shire.

Most of it as is now, is pointless. It could have been shorter without showing all the shire scenes. Just Frodo finishing the book while descripting what has passed and then the grey heavens part.

And as far as i have heard, the ending is too long for main stream people. Which is the what the population is mainly composed of...

BTW having the same 30 min ending in the Threatrical version, that is an error. It uses too much length time, and does not leave anything new to the EE, i rather would have had the saruman scene (show respect to great character and actor..) than that.