I knew already because they cast the same actor.

I'm not stupid you know.

Why is it always about you?

Why can't it be about the arbitrary second-person watching Episode I for the first time after having seen the others, who in fact, just might be stupid?

Then according to Lucas, he should be watching the prequels first

You completely missed the point of using the History Of The Ring theme in that moment. It obviously can't "announce the significance of what just passed", simply because it hasn't happened yet. The Hobbit is meant to play before the LOTR trilogy, so obviously a one-time usage of the History theme isn't a sign of what has happened, but rather of what's to come.

If this is the same world that was displayed in LOTR (and it, of course, is) and the soundscapes are tied to the places and characters (which they are), The Hobbit obviously has to acknowledge this and find a new place embedded in this soundscape, extending it according to the story.

It's practically a de-volution, telling a story backwards forwards, and that will be great to hear.

Exactly. Film composers do this all the time, even within a single film - an important theme will show up in a very subtle way near the beginning of the film, foreshadowing what's to come. You could argue that the first time you see the film, this statement of the theme is totally pointless. After all, there is NO way you'll recognize it, and the thing it represents hasn't been fully experienced yet anyhow. But the next time you watch it, there's a strong emotional pull there. Same sort of thing here. It's perfectly fine - and in fact preferable - to reference existing themes in prequel-like settings.

I knew already because they cast the same actor.

I'm not stupid you know.

Why is it always about you?

Why can't it be about the arbitrary second-person watching Episode I for the first time after having seen the others, who in fact, just might be stupid?

Then according to Lucas, he should be watching the prequels first

I hope they make the hobbit meant to be seen before LOTR, though.

Why should it matter at all? It's not like you can't understand one without the other.

But it will certainly be a more coherent and surprising experience if you watch the Hobbit first.

I assume.

The one ting about "The Hobbit" that I would like to see, is that I would like to see Martin Freeman morph into Ian Holm at he end of the film, to provide continuity with LOTR. I'd also like to hear a Howard Shore score, but I'm hoping against hope, there.

The one ting about "The Hobbit" that I would like to see, is that I would like to see Martin Freeman morph into Ian Holm at he end of the film, to provide continuity with LOTR. I'd also like to hear a Howard Shore score, but I'm hoping against hope, there.

Pretty sure Shore is already working on it.

Good news, if he is. I thought he and Jackson weren't talking after the "King Kong" fiasco?

According to everything I've read, it wasn't a fiasco, they parted on friendly terms when Jackson wasn't happy with Shore's approach for Kong. It's clear though that he was happy with what Shore did for LOTR, and Shore himself obviously is, too. I'd be very surprised if someone else scores The Hobbit.

Unlikely. He wasn't two months ago, and didn't give the impression that he was, at that time, in any way attached to it.

Everything he's said so far has indicated his attachment to it, even Doug Adams has confirmed on several occasions that Shore is returning and has been looking at approaches to the music and all.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the pleasure of visiting the set where the Shire was shot in New Zealand a few years ago (the hobbit holes were partly torn down, due to an agreement to do so that was destroyed half way through the destruction process). I actually have a stick from the Party Tree on my shelf...it was a great experience. It'll be cool to see it in theatres again.

• 2 weeks later...

More casting news, including the return of Galadriel

I guess the casting of Blanchett maybe shows that they're still doing some kind of LOTR link up. In any case, it'll be lovely to hear that voice again. And Ken Stott is a brilliant actor.

it'll be lovely to hear that voice again.

I never did like the way they digitally lowered the pitch of her voice. It was done probably to add gravitas, but Cate's tone didn't need it.

Also gotta agree with CHUD's thoughts in relation to her casting.

it'll be lovely to hear that voice again.

I never did like the way they digitally lowered the pitch of her voice.

i never knew that, where did you hear that?

I don't think her voice was pitch-shifted. Most of the Galadriel footage was overcranked - as a consequence the ADR required the actors to speak more slowly but the pitch is normal.

I can't recall exactly where I heard it (it's been a long time), but they definitely and deliberately altered her voice, making it slightly, yet noticeably deeper than it really is.

Compare it with how she sounds in other movies and it's obvious.

so does the girl who played Arwen, but they didnt alter her voice (granted she most likely had/has vocal training)

I can't recall exactly where I heard it (it's been a long time), but they definitely and deliberately altered her voice, making it slightly, yet noticeably deeper than it really is.

Are you watching other Cate Blanchett films in the PAL format? The PAL releases of LOTR were pitch-shifted to avoid 4% PAL speed-up, so her voice would sound lower than in other PAL releases of her films.

Well elves are really, really, really old beings, and since the voices of human women deepen as they age, it's only logical that those of elvish women would as well.

Now if they showed the elves partaking in the hobbit's pipe leaf, then they would have used John Rhys-Davies to dub Galadriel and Arwen, being centuries-old smokers.

I guess the casting of Blanchett maybe shows that they're still doing some kind of LOTR link up. In any case, it'll be lovely to hear that voice again.

I never expected them to have Gandalf just disappear and reappear without explanation, as in the book. So this doesn't surprise me.

Are you watching other Cate Blanchett films in the PAL format? The PAL releases of LOTR were pitch-shifted to avoid 4% PAL speed-up, so her voice would sound lower than in other PAL releases of her films.

Yeah I'm aware of the PAL FOTR pitch issue. Honestly, I cannot remember where exactly, but I absolutely remember reading or hearing about Galadriel's digital voice manipulation. For some reason I'm thinking I may have read a Guardian newspaper interview with Blanchett at the time.

I've just been trying to find reference to it on google, but of course - every Blanchett result is concerned with her casting in The Hobbit.

I've just been thinking on and if you cast your minds back to the very first teaser trailer for the movies, there's a line by Galadriel - "even the smallest person can change the course of the future", remember? Compare the line with how it sounds in the finished movie.

Blanchett sounds far sweeter, to my ear, in the teaser clip.

I guess the casting of Blanchett maybe shows that they're still doing some kind of LOTR link up. In any case, it'll be lovely to hear that voice again.

I never expected them to have Gandalf just disappear and reappear without explanation, as in the book. So this doesn't surprise me.

Maybe they'll go ahead and film the White Council bits, if they can get Christopher Lee back.

Sylvester McCoy as Radagast is confirmed there too. No Tom Baker as Beorn though. Bummer.

I've just been thinking on and if you cast your minds back to the very first teaser trailer for the movies, there's a line by Galadriel - "even the smallest person can change the course of the future", remember? Compare the line with how it sounds in the finished movie.

Blanchett sounds far sweeter, to my ear, in the teaser clip.

well that could be attributed to the fact that they use different takes of lines in trailers than the movie some times

Maybe they'll go ahead and film the White Council bits, if they can get Christopher Lee back.

I think that has been planned for a long time, even when Guillermo was still here. They'll show the whole Necromancer plot (with the attack on Dol Guldur), that's almost certain. Now, the thing I'm worried about is that Ian McKellen still hasn't been confirmed....

Don't worry about it, Mckellen recently dropped a huge hint on his website that he's in:

http://www.mckellen.com/cinema/index1.htm

Wasn't he from Mirkwood? Orlando Bloom would command too much money to just have a cameo appearance.

Yes. His father, the king, has a prominent role in the story. I still don't see the need to bring his son into the whole thing though.

Well since they're inventing a movie role for Frodo's father, it's as if they're bringing everyone's family into the show.

But the more actors from LOTR that they bring in for familiarity's sake, it could water down the movie. It's like they're loading it with Easter eggs because they think people want to see their favorite actors and heartthrobs in another Tolkien movie, and that's not it all. I want to see characters, settings, and the monsters (trolls, spiders, and dragon). I don't want it to be about plugging it with as many cameos as they can.

Should we see a flashback to see how Smaug was born? Maybe he abandoned his wife at Angmar so that PJ can stuff the Witch King into this movie too.