To me they made sense:

FotR - green: Nature, Shire, Forest-hiking

TTT - red: always associated that colour with the red/brown colours/armors of Rohan

RotK - blue: royal,kingly, gondordian blue + golden letters!

AGREED

I can see that. The second film will take place in a barren landscape and lake town and a mountain and chambers with lots of gold and a reddish dragon. It'll be the weird one.

The first one has the Shire, underground material and forests. People will like it for being like LOTR.

Yeah Gandalf photos in that set are wonderful. It's like McKellen never left the role. He has the same demeanor and poise and look in his eyes as in FotR. :)

Nah he is a British thespian, which means he can pull any of his previous roles out of the wardrobe and wear it like he would a dinner jacket. It's that easy!

But seriously it is terrific he got to play Gandalf the Grey again since that's my favourite Gandalf. Gandalf the White goes all lofty and high and peering into the horizon with dreamy eyes or he is serious and stern. Gandalf the Grey has more earthiness to him, more humanity. Which is of course as it should be acting and character wise but it makes the Grey Pilgrim more appealing.

Yes I was also transported to the moment when Gandalf goes to Bag End "in party business" in FotR. :) A change of avatar is in order.

P. S. Thorin's beard is still way too short!

I'm sorry, but Freeman looks like a pedophile on EW's cover.

Don't you think if they had a standard look, they'd be easier to spot and prosecute?

Those photos were brilliant, thanks for sharing Incanus! I know I'm late to the party, but I just have to repeat what others have mentioned about Gandalf's photos. God it looks like Ian McKellen has nailed the Gandalf character again and his photos look absolutely beautiful. Aside from all the Gandalf pics (pic 9 was awesome), the barrel scene shot was my favourite. I'll still need time to adjust into the whole "Thorin as the young hero" approach. And as beautiful as the shot of Elrond seems, when did Rivendell get so dark? But that's me nitpicking.

In the first article it says the following:

“Almost everything we’re doing is from Tolkien somewhere, whether it’s in the book or the subsequent development that wasn’t published in The Hobbit itself.”

At the photo of Galadriel, the caption says this:

''It will all make sense,'' director Peter Jackson promises Tolkien purists.

As doubtful as everything I've heard makes me, I think I might be slowly starting to regain my confidence with this film.

In the first article it says the following:

“Almost everything we’re doing is from Tolkien somewhere, whether it’s in the book or the subsequent development that wasn’t published in The Hobbit itself.”

At the photo of Galadriel, the caption says this:

''It will all make sense,'' director Peter Jackson promises Tolkien purists.

As doubtful as everything I've heard makes me, I think I might be slowly starting to regain my confidence with this film.

Of course, he said that. You didn't expect him to say something like: "It will make no fucking sense!". He's selling the movie, that's it. As far as I'm concerned, it changes nothing. Bunnies Of Doom and starfish hairdos are not "from Tolkien somewhere, whether it’s in the book or the subsequent development that wasn’t published in The Hobbit itself.”

Why'd you have to bring up the Bunnies of Doom?!? I was just getting comfortable with the changes in the film....but you had to ruin it with the stupid evil bunnies. And then there are these supposed "Nazgul tombs" which are absolutely unforgivable (though I'm still hoping those were just misinterpretations on the part of viewers).

Thou art most cruel BloodBoal. Back to sulking about the flaws of this film :(

And as beautiful as the shot of Elrond seems, when did Rivendell get so dark? But that's me nitpicking.

Elrond is holding Thror's map. Surely he's reading the moon letters.

What the fuck is that sword Thorin is holding? Did you see the size of it? WTF?

Pic 9 is amazing indeed. Incanus should have chosen that one for his avatar. Pfffff...

I think Orcrist was supposed to be a twin of Glamdring but they really went to another direction with the leaf shaped blade on this one. It looks like some gigantic falchion. Also it is interesting to note that Gandalf's sword seems like one of the great exceptions of Elvish sword making since it is the only Elven sword with a cross guard in the entire movie series.

And BloodBoal I wanted to use the cool "Gandalf looking badass with wind blowing his scarf and hair and beard" but alas couldn't find the picture without the Entertainment Weekly printed on it.

Orcrist looks like an slighly oversized falcata with straight blade.

That would be used a lot like an ax. With the weight of the blade near the end, it could deliver massive blows.

I think Orcrist was supposed to be a twin of Glamdring

Brother, not twin, I believe. I never expected them to look identical, though one could probably expect them to look somewhat similar.

Ah I see Jason has snatched the cool Gandalf image. As I always say, more Gandalfs the merrier. :)

Brother, not twin, I believe. I never expected them to look identical, though one could probably expect them to look somewhat similar.

Perhaps they took inspiration from the name "Goblin Cleaver" when they designed that sword.

Ah I see Jason has snatched the cool Gandalf image. As I always say, more Gandalfs the merrier. :)

So theres 3 of us around here now. Hmm....things are going to get a bit confusing ;)

Perhaps they took inspiration from the name "Goblin Cleaver" when they designed that sword.

Still, I fail to see the resemblance between their Orcrist design and Glamdring. They are supposed to be brothers...

So theres 3 of us around here now. Hmm....things are going to get a bit confusing ;)

Don't forget Alice's You Shall not Pass avatar. It counts as Gandalf as well. It has the wizard in it.

Yes I always thought the swords would resemble each other but the other sword does look more like a cleaver. Glamdring as I said is almost an anomaly in the Elven sword design with "normal" cross guard and regular leaf shaped double edged blade although the overly curved oriental styled Elven blades are just the interpretation of the film makers for LotR movies.

perhaps there is an age (1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th..) difference between the swords, perhaps one is the Older Brother?

;)

Hardly an age difference; both came from Gondolin, which I think was only relevant during the 2nd Age?

Yes, actually only for a couple hundred years; Gondolin didn't last long.

Can't wait. Only after it's been out and people have seen and loved it will I finally be free of beard talk.

Awww, lee I love your facial hair. :(

It's not the hair that's the problem, it's the nit-picking ['purists'] . It's funny how quickly they got over Gandalf's much shorter beard (compared to the book) when he became the White.

As I said, only the movie will finally shut them the fuck up! Well, not Bloodstain, but everyone else.

I think the big problem is that the supposed youthful appearance of Thorin along with several other pics are giving us the impression that they're making Thorin out to be the "Aragorn" of these films. And that's obviously not true to Thorin's character.

That's the assumption, at best. Nobody really knows. The "big problem" you mentioned is premature and in actual fact not a 'problem' for almost everyone who's looking forward to seeing this movie. The only problem I see is a few tin-foiled cone hats poking over the top of everyone else, the bonces under them combing tirelessly through the minor details in dimmly lit rooms.

That's the assumption, at best. Nobody really knows. The "big problem" you mentioned is premature and in actual fact not a 'problem' for almost everyone who's looking forward to seeing this movie. The only problem I see is a few tin-foiled cone hats poking over the top of everyone else, the bonces under them combing tirelessly through the minor details in dimmly lit rooms.

I'm personally not very bothered about it at all. But speculation, moaning and quibbling is all we can do on this thread at this point ;) I think most of us don't consider Thorin's beard to be a big issue at all, but when there's nothing much to do, nitpicking is what most of us will resort to. :P

The real issue is Radagast's Evil Bunnies of Doom!

Indeed, the only real point of contention in the run up to release are the bunny rabbits, but I'm trusting in the power of context and design on that one. The Wraith tombs are another head scratcher, but again, artistic license decrees that I shall wait and see before casting judgement. For now there are more pressing matters, like am I going to explode when I see the awesome sight of The White Council confronting the rising Shadow in Mirkwood; or is Howard Shore going to make me cry man tears again, damn him.

Ya Shore tends to do that.

My only real concerns for this film at this moment are the bunnies, the wraith tombs and how 48 fps is going to play out for me.

Indeed, the only real point of contention in the run up to release are the bunny rabbits, but I'm trusting in the power of context and design on that one. The Wraith tombs are another head scratcher, but again, artistic license decrees that I shall wait and see before casting judgement. For now there are more pressing matters, like am I going to explode when I see the awesome sight of The White Council confronting the rising Shadow in Mirkwood; or is Howard Shore going to make me cry man tears again, damn him.

Damn, can I be there for that...... ;-)