Film two ending with Smaug's death? How much is left then for film three? 20 pages?

56 in The Annotated Hobbit. And don't forget that the later chapters are much more detailed than the earlier ones. Most of the journey chapters certainly need much more invented dialogue than the later parts - unless you want to collapse the entire journey into a 10 minute sequence.

Yeah, PJ will be the next Lucas.

Except that PJ has something Lucas doesn't, which is feeling for dialogue, music, acting, pacing, and a good dose of humility that tells him other people may be better at writing the screenplay.

So, even if Jackson completely walks away from the source material and includes stuff that no Tolkien fan could ever tolerate, at the very least it will be a good, nicely paced, well-acted film. Which practically every movie that Lucas did after Episode VI wasn't.

Shore is the next Goldsmith (well, after Giacchino, of course), so there's no problem in that regard.

Except that Shore has more Oscars than Goldsmith and Giacchino - combined.

Even if one of these movies, or all of them, are shit (which they most certainly won't be), Howard Shore is still drawing an unbelievable amount of inspiration from the book(s), and the visuals of the film (which most certainly will be outstanding with Lee's and Howe's work), so there is no danger of any lack of inspiration.

I'll reserve judgement until I see more, especially the first actual movie just to understand what Jackson's doing with the whole thing. I want to love this, but decisions like this just baffle me. I'm still have hope, but I'm cautious.

The Hobbit: Dawdling on the Way

Tagline:

"A Journey is not worth it if you can't stop to smell the woods burning."

post-198-0-77460400-1343819695_thumb.jpg

My heart tells me that the third Hobbit film has some part to play yet, for good or ill, before this is over.

And even now we learn from New Zealand that Peter Jackson is stirring with a third film. Such is the hour in which this wanderer chooses to return. Why indeed should we welcome you Master Stormcrow, with tidings of the third Hobbit film? Láthspell I name you, Ill-news; and ill news is an ill guest they say.

If this is to be Jackson's end, then he would have them make such an end, as to be worthy of remembrance.

There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark.

So, in the summer of 2014, would you rather see The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug or The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies?

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/07/31/60231-exclusive-new-line-registers-hobbit-movie-titles/

It should be An Unexpected Journey, The Road Goes Ever On and There and Back Again.

those titles sound good

desolation of smaug and battle of the five armies sound like videogame spin off titles.