Nice to know Cumberbatch had such a personal affinity for the story and the characters. I am really excited to see and hear what he has done with Smaug.

And for the record I expect Smaug to be reminiscent of John Howe's beautiful designs.

Looks like some sort of interactive gazetteer of Middle Earth judging by the trailer.

It says it is a Chrome experiment, whatever that means. Will this be a game or an interactive map or both?

Back on set for our last Hobbit pick ups. Our last ever Tolkien pick ups, in fact. It's going to be an intense few weeks, but we're looking forward to shooting some powerful scenes with our great cast. Our next blog is coming soon!
977228_10151626211191558_1909359372_o.jp

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151626211191558&set=a.10150238899061558.364437.141884481557&type=1&theater

I really hope they found another way to shoot Sir Ian's scenes. I remember watching a long interview with him about his career (from the series "British Legends of Stage and Screen):

"In full costume and make-up I rehearsed a big scene I had with thirteen dwarfs and a hobbit. I have to appear to be taller than any of those, so I couldn't be filmed with them. I had to be filmed separately on my own in another part of the studio, where there was a representation of the set. But not a real one. A skelet-sort-of green colored set representing this one [the real set]. That meant that I could be filmed simultaneously with the rest of the actors on two different cameras that are enslaved - when the main one moves, this one moves. There's no cameraman here, there's just me surrounded by this green screen, which can then be removed when the films has developed, and my character is just imposed on top of this filming, so there is now big Gandalf and small dwarfs and a hobbit. So I'm acting on my own and I don't like doing that. But I have the characters faces on poles and when the character is speaking he lights up, so I know which one is talking. The sound is coming through a hearing-aid here. So I can hear what they're saying. And I'm meant to react and laugh and… [shakes lightly on his head and looks down] I just started crying, cause this wasn't what I came into this business to do. Or left home to do [chuckles]. But that side of my profession comes into play, cause I think, "Well, this gotta be done, this is how you do it these days. You are not acting with the other people. You are just appearing to act with them.""

He then went on to talk about his love for the theatre.

(btw, I wrote this down myself, but it's exactly what he said at the end of the episode, when talking about the Hobbit filming).

Fingers crossed that PJ cuts more fat from DoS.

Yeah although there might be an awful lot of that non-canon material there if the first film it anything to go by. PJ loves excess.

Here are some things that are likely to happen in the film:

- Leggy and Tauriel will rescue the Dwarves from the spiders (probably after Bilbo killed a few of them, and maybe when he'll be surrounded by them). Suggested by the Mirkwood LEGO set.

- Azog and his men will enter Mirkwood and be attacked by Thranduil's elves. A few orcs (or maybe just one) will be captured. There'll be an interrogation scene where Thranduil & co will learn what the Dwarves are up to. (These scenes were seen in production diaries and in the DOS preview)

- Azog and his men will probably try to attack Thranduil's castle, which will give the Dwarves the opportunity to escape (no drunken elf in the film, it seems, since it's been established in ROTK EE that Elves don't get drunk easily). Tauriel might help them escape. (Pure speculation, but at least the first part is not unlikely).

- Azog and his men will attack Thorin & co during the barrels sequence (this one is certain. Well, maybe it's not Azog and his men, but the Dwarves will be attacked by orcs during that sequence. During one of the first production videos, you could see the barrels scene, and there was a moment where you saw Kili grabbing a rock and trying to throw it at someone on the shore).

Quite different from the book, it seems...

That's... quite a sculptural facepalm you have here, Chaac.

Is footage of the DOS preview online?

Well, you can find bits here and there and youtube, but not the whole thing. There was an edited down version (but when I say "down", I really mean "DOWN". The preview was one hour long, this version is 6 minutes long) that was posted officialy. Here it is (you can find one of the points I mentioned in the spoiler tags above at 1:14 in the video):

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to add that the surroundings, woods, mountain and stuff, look beautiful.

What a shame it will be colour-graded to hell.

The picture does have an odd plastic look to it.

I would like to add that the surroundings, woods, mountain and stuff, look beautiful.

yes!! (Y) was just about to say the same thing.

Looks kind of video-gameish...

what a revelation! half of AUJ looked video-gameish:(