Nah 13 minutes sounds about right to me. They couldn't possibly have more if they moved the whole High Fells sequence (and what else?) to the next film.

But there will be abundance of extras like in the LotR sets. :)

I wonder if Shore will even bother using that theme in the second score... By the way, talking about Shore's music, it's rather disappointing that we'll only get about 13 minutes of additionnal music.

The only thing that has me quite excited about this release is the possibility of getting some unreleased music via the Blu-Ray menus and extras. Let's keep our fingers crossed, shall we?

Do we know that we will get even 13 minutes of new music for the EE?

But yes we might actually get some extra music off the Blu-ray. :)

Do we know that we will get even 13 minutes of new music for the EE?

Or maybe PJ just tracked previously recorded music over the added scenes...

That's what I am afraid of...

I can't really see Shore using the Baggins-Took theme and the Radagast material going forward. I suspect they'll be the most notable absentees from the DoS score.

Radgy does have a theme in the film, though. It's different from the one on the album, but it's a theme nonetheless.

I was thinking about the music featurette on the EE: I wonder if they'll talk about the changes they made and if Shore will talk about his theme for Bilbo or not (since it was unused).

Radagast's new theme is not very interesting compared to his original one. It is like they wanted to mute the original idea to make room for McCoy's performance.

It will be sad if those new themes are nipped in the bud and discarded as they gave the Hobbit some really singular flavour.

'

I hope he gets his own film - Revenge of the Birdshit. ;)

Karol

One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest and into a Bunnies of Doom Warren.

Radagast's new theme is not very interesting compared to his original one. It is like they wanted to mute the original idea to make room for McCoy's performance.

Personally, I largely prefer the "film version" of his theme to the album one.

Me too! The piece on the album with the fiddle is musically interesting to listen to, but I think the score in the film is more beautiful, atmospheric and magical.

Radgy does have a theme in the film, though. It's different from the one on the album, but it's a theme nonetheless.

I was thinking about the music featurette on the EE: I wonder if they'll talk about the changes they made (such as the infamous use of the Nazgûl theme) and if Shore will talk about his theme for Bilbo or not (since it was unused).

The only music featurette I can see is the one about 'The Songs of Middle Earth', which I guess will cover Misty Mountains and Blunt the Knives. Will they even discuss Shore's music on this release?

Personally, I largely prefer the "film version" of his theme to the album one.

I am just sad it sounds so anonymous to me ears. I can't for the life of me remember anything about it, except the subdued low string line referencing the original idea a bit. But in all fairness I have heard it only a scant few times while watching the film.

Hmmm, something's off.... the theatrical cut was 169 minutes and the EE is listed as 184 minutes, which is 15 minutes longer, not 12 Maybe there are 3 more minutes of end credits or something?

Disappointed in the cover. I really liked that the LOTR EE had no pictures on their covers, just the logos.... it made them look like books. This looks like any other DVD on your shelf.

As for the scene with Elrond and Bilbo.... it is WONDERFUL. Both Freeman and Weaving are PERFECT in that scene!!!

And I hate that we're FORCED to buy the 3D version!!!! VERY bad decision.

You're not forced to do anything:

U.S. consumers will have three options with different suggest retails price:

* 5-disc Blu-ray 3D set ($54.98) (includes a non-3D Blu-ray version)

* 3-disc Blu-ray ($35.99)

* 5-disc DVD ($34.99)

Woops, completely missed that.

Well, hopefully the 2D blu ray cover is better than that 3D Blu Ray cover

EDIT: Hmmm, so it looks like the 3D version is split over 2 discs, since that set is 2 discs longer than the 2D blu ray set. I wonder what the intermission point will be?

This also means the EE fits on one disc if you watch it in 2D, which is nice. And makes sense since it's only 184 minutes.

EDIT: Hmmm, so it looks like the 3D version is split over 2 discs, since that set is 2 discs longer than the 2D blu ray set. I wonder what the intermission point will be?

This also means the EE fits on one disc if you watch it in 2D, which is nice. And makes sense since it's only 184 minutes.

Not necessarily. Both versions could be split over 2 discs.

The 2D version has 3 discs: 2 for the film, 1 for the special features

The 3D versions has 5 discs: 2 for the 3D version of the film, 2 for the 2D version of the film and 1 for the special features.

It's interesting to note they didn't include the theatrical version on the set.

I thought it was reported earlier that the EE release would contain the TE?

And I'm fairly certain the film itself is one disc and the special features are what's spread over 2 discs. I mean, the movie is 3 hours and the special features are 9 hours, it's pretty obvious.

Oh, nice! The 2D cover is LOADS better than the 3D cover! Especially awesome, as that's the version I'll be buying!

And yes, obviously the 3 hour movie is on one disc (with the 3 hour commentary), and the other 2 discs each contain 3 hours of HD special features each. It's impossible that one disc contains 90 minutes of movie, disc 2 contains 90 minutes of moivies, and disc 3 contains 6 hours of special features. NO WAY!

A Gollum miniature again?

I would have liked a figure of Gandalf and Bilbo. Or even Bag End.

With no news of new music in the EE, and the cover design, and the Gollum miniature, there is an intangible air of dissapointment over this release.

At the moment that statue set is only confirmed for Germany. The UK will be getting a 'Bilbo's Trunk Premium Edition', as well as a steelbook. I imagine there will be other local and retailer exclusives as well.

That's unfortunately the way the market is now. You can expect various steelbooks for almost every major release, and many other releases besides. We'll be spoilt for choice.

With no news of new music in the EE

There was music recorded for the EE. Doug Adams confirmed it (it was mentioned by Barnald here:http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22197&page=74#entry923771)

But yeah, this edition looks rather disappointing compared to the LOTR ones. Still, possible unreleased music in the Blu-Ray menus and features!

He said Shore recorded music for "scenes included in the EE". That doesn't mean he recorded music specifically. It just says what we already know, that there is music on the OST recorded for extended scenes (White Council, My Dear Frodo etc).

If there is no more music needed that the one Shore already recorded, all is well. However, knowing Jackson, I wouldn't hope for that.

In any case, if there is tracked music in this EE, it further illustrates that less care went into this on part of the film makers than for LotR.

There was less care taken with this entire project by all sides if this first film is anything to go by.

Looking at the discs in that picture.

The left one says "Blu Ray 3D Movie Part 1", next one you can't read, third one says "Blu Ray Movie", next one says "Blu Ray Special Feature", last one can't read.

Why doesn't disc 4 say "Special Features Part 1"? Or do both 4 and 5 both just say "Special Features"?

The cover of the DVD set looks nice.

And I don't care what statue the collector's box holds as long as it is not the Great Goblin.

The DVD version has the best cover, but I really wish that they had matched the style of the LOTR EE DVD's packaging, that faux book style.

That DVD cover matches the Special Edition of the soundtrack though. Same book styled graphics but here they end in that upper "Extended Edition, DVD Five-disc" field, which looks tacky. I wait for the finished product to see how it all turns out.

Looking at the discs in that picture.

The left one says "Blu Ray 3D Movie Part 1", next one you can't read, third one says "Blu Ray Movie", next one says "Blu Ray Special Feature", last one can't read.

Why doesn't disc 4 say "Special Features Part 1"? Or do both 4 and 5 both just say "Special Features"?

Disc 5 could be a dedicated "Digital HD/Ultraviolet" disc.

And now here is the japanese version, which is way closer to the look of the LOTR EEs!

tumblr_mqtfhohFOb1snrif5o5_500.jpg

Oh that looks cool and really fits in with the LotR EE's almost perfectly down to the disc design. I'd get that version in a heartbeat if it became available here.

You should watch the clip, the performances from Freeman and Weaving are amazing in it. In fact, it's easily the best performance from Weaving in the entire movie, and one of Freeman's best too. And the scene is SO good, it totally sets up his departure from the company in the cave better, as well as setting up his future love of Rivendell seen in LOTR.

I didn't notice anything different compared to the Rivendell scenes already in the movie

Oh hey, the scene's on youtube now

I'm still hoping that the 'art' in the middle of an apparent frame on the US versions will infact be a removable card of sorts, added purely to catch people's eyes and ensure that the product is immediately recognizable. Once we remove that and the Blu-ray banner I hope it resembles the Japanese box but with a digipak inside, like the LOTR EE's.

I was thinking, I think the problem isn't that the EE of AUJ is only being extended by so little; It's that too much was left in the TE. if you had shortened the TE down from 169 minutes to 149 minutes, and now this EE was 33 minutes longer, I think both films would be much better received.