I saw it a few days ago. I think had most of what was cut been kept in, and a few wise trims been made to the theatrical version, we would have a much more satisfying picture. What was said above (or in another thread) about the gap in quality between the first trailer for AUJ and the actual film rings especially true after seeing the extended edition.

I don't know. I still liked the film. It's nigh-impossible to ruin Tolkien, and Jackson at his worst is just sort of absurdly decent. But between the dumb humor, baffling history changes, meh editing, and the score debacle... let's hope AUJ remains the low point of Middle-Earth cinema.

To form a Fellowship of course!

You have my grumpy shillelagh waving emoticon! :stick:

To form a Fellowship of course!

You have my grumpy shillelagh waving emoticon! :stick:

The most important part of the Fellowship of course!

I saw it a few days ago. I think had most of what was cut been kept in, and a few wise trims been made to the theatrical version, we would have a much more satisfying picture.

Really? A lot of EE scenes Jason described seemed like stuff that was best left out of the picture.

I'm thinking primarily of Bilbo in Rivendell I guess. Some of it was just more added humor, yes, but that scene and a few others really gave the film more heart by their presence.

I saw it a few days ago. I think had most of what was cut been kept in, and a few wise trims been made to the theatrical version, we would have a much more satisfying picture.

Agreed! Keep in the fireworks and Young Bilbo / marketplace / Bilbo wandering Rivendell / Elrond and Bilbo talking / Elrond and Gandalf talking / and extended White Council, and shorten up anything to do with Azog and the Goblin King and you'd have a better movie. Not to mention some of the funny dwarf bits in the EE are better than similar funny dwarf bits from the TC.

At least the rumors of the Goblin King's throne being a toilet turned out to not be true (either that or PJ changed his mind and didn't include it even in the EE)

Agreed! Keep in the fireworks and Young Bilbo / marketplace / Bilbo wandering Rivendell / Elrond and Bilbo talking / Elrond and Gandalf talking / and extended White Council, and shorten up anything to do with Azog and the Goblin King and you'd have a better movie. Not to mention some of the funny dwarf bits in the EE are better than similar funny dwarf bits from the TC.

Yes those were exactly the ones I had in mind too. I also think Thranduil's added time is worth keeping. And those funny bits feel a little more genuinely Dwarvish rather than PJish.

Yes, because naked CGI dwarves frolicking in the fountain is exactly the kind of Dwarvish stuff that would help ground AUJ and PJ's sense of humour.

Yes, because naked dwarves frolicking in the fountain is exactly the kind of Dwarvish behaviour that would help ground AUJ and PJ's sense of humour.

Yes. Because Tolkien really depicted them as barrel of laughs each and every one! And in the next film they will literally be barrels of laugh.

The naked fountain scene is like 5 seconds long - and sure, they could have left that one out I thought it was funny though (and you don't really see anything). There were other little bits with the dwarves in Bag End and Rivendell that were good. Bofur really gets a ton more screen time in the EE

Generally the dwarves, who are very dignified and proud race in Tolkien's legendarium have been reduced in the films into a comedy troupe who have boorish manners and are almost all near half-wits. But as long as they are funny I don't think bothers anyone.

Rewatching the Moria scenes in FELLOWSHIP, I now think 'Yep, they deserved to be wiped out.' At least Durin's Bane didn't have a penchant for toilet humour. He was just a poor, misunderstood old Maiar who wanted to live out the rest of his days in peace under Zirakzigil, free from persecution. :|

At least Durin's Bane didn't have a penchant for toilet humour.

You obviously haven't read the books! Flaming swords and whips aren't his only weapons. Or maybe I'm thinking of Bored of the Rings....

So he is dead then...

OIR_resizer1.jpg?t=1340215037

the greatest comedic/dramatic sidekick of our time.

Most people, including PJ, forgot that Thorin is actually older than Balin. But as they needed a dwarvish Aragorn for the films, Thorin was made a young strapping (and more than a bit emo) fighter. Ken Stott is awesome in the role of Balin though.

Yes, because naked CGI dwarves frolicking in the fountain

Is it any worse than the company (including Bilbo) bathing naked near the carrock?

I'm surprised nobody has commented yet on how present Shore is in the EE appendices really is. Any news on that?

From what I have read, our worst fears have been realized.

Yes, because naked CGI dwarves frolicking in the fountain

Is it any worse than the company (including Bilbo) bathing naked near the carrock?

Some things,Faleel, mortal men were not meant to see.

Aaaaaaha!

I knew I wasn't hallucinating!

Or day dreaming...

Was this not already pointed out? That's the explanation behind the NDAs and those socks from his blog!

OOOH somebody ask him about it like he requested! ;)

Was this not already pointed out? That's the explanation behind the NDAs and those socks from his blog!

A-ha! The sock mystery is unraveled finally!

What are you guys talking about?

The photo of his foot he posted on his blog.

also:

the original ending of AUJ:

EXT. FOREST RIVER HILLTOP - DAY

ANGLE ON: THORIN leads BILBO onto a LEDGE above the FOREST CANOPY ... in the DISTANCE rises a solitary, majestic PEAK.

THORIN

I began to doubt I would ever see this sight again.

(looking down to Bilbo)

I doubted a lot of things. I am sorry.

(the rest is basically the same, just that Bilbo and Thorin seem to be alone and Bilbo saying in the end "I think our fortunes have changed")

Also, it seems the Key-getting by Gandalf has been altered:

"How Gandalf gets the map and the key is changed from the book.

Something about how the "who did you tell about your quest" line plays into the beginning of film 2. Also Personal and geopolitical reasoning for Azog seeking Thorin. (I think thats what they were getting at. Difficult to understand exactly what is in reference to what.)

Thrain's ring will come into play later on in the Desolation Of Smaug."

What are you guys talking about?

Doug Adams @DougAdamsMusic

Very happy to be making my talking-head debut on the #Hobbit Extended Ed!! I'll have more to say when the physical discs are on shelves!

Also, it seems the Key-getting by Gandalf has been altered:

"How Gandalf gets the map and the key is changed from the book.

Something about how the "who did you tell about your quest" line plays into the beginning of film 2. Also Personal and geopolitical reasoning for Azog seeking Thorin. (I think thats what they were getting at. Difficult to understand exactly what is in reference to what.)

Thrain's ring will come into play later on in the Desolation Of Smaug."

I am sure Thrain's ring comes into play because Gandalf and Saruman have a whole conversation about it in the AUJ EE

Using that EE quote, some are coming up with outlandish theories that that has something to do with the Nazgul music when Thorin charges:

I am now convinced more than ever that DOS will open with Gandalf receiving the key in Moria from Thrain before he gets captured.

Azog will be chasing the company in order to retrieve the seventh ring, held by Thorin (info given up after his torture in Dol Guldur)

And that of course explains the Nazgul music during AUJ - Azog is facing down Thorin, in possession of a ring of power. Doing the job of a Nazgul.