And all you'll be hearing the Ringwraith chant, Rohan fanfare and Shelob's theme on an endless loop!

Well, then I'll watch it with my eyes closed and with my hands covering my ears!

tumblr_meqr7fmB0k1rkty0bo1_500.gif

Oin K on TOR has speculated on how PJ may tell a Silmaril story in the Hobbit:

Bear with me here. Thranduil in his hall is just like Thingol in Menegroth. And the Arkenstone looks just like a Silmaril.

The Elven King greatly desires the stone which was stolen by a being of unassailable evil.

The parallels are plain.

We need not speculate as to whether the Arkenstone is really the Silmaril of Maedros, for it serves the same purpose here. And if Jackson so chose, he could retell the Beren and Luthien story with a Third Age twist to it.

Tauriel would be the Luthien analogue, if rumors of her status as a sort of adopted daughter to the king hold true. And Kili, of course, is Beren, if rumors of a flirtatious relationship are valid.

Wait! Don't go yet! I haven't gotten to the best part! Kili sees Thorin turning inward and becoming dangerous in his obsession, and so when he finds out that Bilbo found the Arkenstone, he helps him conceal it, hoping to bring it to Thranduil to prove his worth. Tauriel, who has tracked the dwarves to Erebor at the behest of her king, saves Kili from near certain death at the hands of Smaug, and together the three of them conspire to smuggle the Arkenstone out of the Mountain.

The plot continues as expected: Smaug rises, destroys Laketown, and is slain, and negotiations open up for possession of his treasure. Bilbo takes the fall for the theft of the Arkenstone, and the Battle of Five Armies breaks out.

During the battle, the Arkenstone becomes a football, moving from party to party as the action shifts across the field. Tolkien may have glossed over it during the battle, but Jackson will not let us forget about it until the fight is over. Eventually, it returns to Kili and Tauriel, and they are confronted by Bolg (with his bloodstained beard he is an obvious analogue for Carcharoth, 'The Red Maw'), who takes Kili's hand and the Arkenstone in it (or better, his warg bites it off). This is also a sort of 'generational revenge,' as Bolg maims the heir of the dwarf who maimed his father Azog. Tauriel and Kili retreat to Thranduil, who expresses regret at Kili''s sacrifice and surprise at his feat. Eventually Beorn sweeps in and kills Bolg and his warg, and the Arkenstone is recovered, albeit at great cost.

As the battle winds down, Thranduil and a mortally wounded Thorin find themselves facing each other across a battlefield full of maimed and dead elves, dwarves, men, and goblins. Fili and Kili are among them, having defended their uncle to the last from Azog before Dain landed the killing blow, as is Tauriel, who died alongside Kili. (Alternatively, she survives, but descends into a fugue of grief, but I doubt this would happen as it is too close to Arwen's depiction in Jackson's LOTR.)

The orcs defeated, the Elven King is now surrounded by dwarves and men. Thranduil, who was living in Doriath when it fell, remembers well how Thingol coveted the Silmaril, and how his refusal to deal fairly with the dwarves led to his death and the destruction of his kingdom. Now, Thranduil makes a different choice, and declares that the Arkenstone will remain forever with Thorin Oakenshield, who along with his valiant nephews has proven himself worthy of it.

[Legolas, who has spent most of the battle bat-surfing and playing leap-frog with wargs, returns to find out what happened to his BFF Tauriel, and his own hatred of dwarves is hardened even as his father softens to them in his shared grief.]

And so, with this act, a cycle of hatred and distrust that has spanned not only several generations - from Thranduil to Thorin to Azog and onward - but indeed several Ages (as well as three films) is thus ended.

Sounds bat shit crazy, but somehow feasible.

Oh let's really hope that crazy theory isn't even remotely close to the truth.

I can't see that happening. I'd imagine the Tolkien Estate would pounce on them faster than an undead pale orc on a Dwarf king.

I would love if Shore was to write music based on The Silmarillion though. That'd great.

can we confirm that smaug has 4 limbs... or that is just one of gandalf's magicks?

Don't tell me that that smoke is anatomically inaccurate?!!! ;)

Curious. Thorin has blonde hair now.

No it is just the yellowish sheen that the poster has.

Times have changed BloodBoal! We realized long ago that The Hobbit is no Lord of the Rings. We must appreciate what decency we can get.

We don't know how long the tracks are. Certainly many tracks could contain music for the scene it's named after, plus other scenes. Shore doesn't really do "the ___ scene / the __ scene" type track names, he is more poetic