The fact that it will most likely be included in the complete recordings, meaning that we'll probably never get the "uninterrupted" original cue for the Dwarves arriving in Goblintown. Sweet.

With the OST version, and the CR version, we will have the whole track....

Besides, Shore has a thing for musical flow and listening experience, I doubt it will be the exact same as the film...

I suspect it will be in two parts at least.

The fact that it will most likely be included in the complete recordings, meaning that we'll probably never get the "uninterrupted" original cue for the Dwarves arriving in Goblintown. Sweet.

With the OST version, and the CR version, we will have the whole track....Besides, Shore has a thing for musical flow and listening experience, I doubt it will be the exact same as the film...I suspect it will be in two parts at least.

Like the singing included in FotR CR?

The mix on this video is wrong, like you took the 7.1 mix and then gave them mixed them all in equally, instead of boosting the center channel.

The other 2 videos are great, thanks for making them!

The mix on this video is wrong, like you took the 7.1 mix and then gave them mixed them all in equally, instead of boosting the center channel.

I took it straight from the DVD, then widened it.

I'm watching the Appendix 7 right now, more precisely the Trollshaws bit. They groan how they had to completely change the humongous set because PJ wanted another camera shot, and I just keep thinking "Jesus, shoot the thing in a real forest for crying out loud!"

As flawed as the film was though, I can't help but appreciate the level of work and attention to detail put into this while watching the appendices. Yes, stuff like the location shoots and models may have been abandoned in favour of the green screen, but still, its an impressive, challenging venture for any film-maker.

I think its easy for some of us to assume that this project was half-assed in some parts. But looking at these documentaries, its clear that Peter Jackson was so heavily involved into perfecting even the smallest details according to his vision. It's kind of what sets him apart from some directors, because ultimately he really puts his all into every component of the film (writing, set design, makeup, sword designs and perhaps regrettably, the music). It's just that some of it happened to be misguided for AUJ, especially with the time restraint.

- KK, whose feeling strangely optimistic today, probably because of the DoS samples :)

Yes, also seeing the stuff with the Goblins, it really seems that some of the "changes" were due to keeping the actors alive, and because he wants to be able get the shots he wants.

It was also interesting to see how much input Lee and Howe had as well (John Howe suggested the Moon Runes crystal, and Howe and Lee actually did some stuff in WETA digital for example)

I watched extended version of The Hobbit last night with the commentary track. They sure tease and spoil the next two films quite a bit.

Additional material doesn't really add anything substantial, most of it sets up two following installments.

Karol

Having now watched a good deal of the documentaries I have to say we really dodged the bullet with the Radagast design that ended up in the film since many of the earlier attempts are just crazy compared to that. Not that it makes it much better but it really was the lesser of evils.

And it is nice they found a way to use all those discarded Azog designs (including what we have been calling Bolg) as additional orcs in the battle of Azanulbizar. Rather irritating that they fell in love with Azog so badly they had to keep him alive (I doubt there will be any necromacering done on him, he just survived the wound) instead of opting with more loyal to Tolkien concept for the main villain.

He certainly isn't what I expected and he really threw me off at the beginning, but now I don't mind. And Sylvester McCoy naturally does a good job at delivering Jackson's idea of Radagast.

I still think the bird poo was excessive.

It's weird, because I've seen this film about six times now, and never once have I conciously noticed the bird poo. My attention just isn't drawn to it for some reason.

He certainly isn't what I expected and he really threw me off at the beginning, but now I don't mind. And Sylvester McCoy naturally does a good job at delivering Jackson's idea of Radagast.

I still think the bird poo was excessive.

The humour of the character falters quite a bit in the writing department not in execution as McCoy is a fantastic actor and a natural comedian. Stick insect gags etc. were really clumsy I thought.

Oh and the bunny sled and all the sequences involving it conjure up the Yakety Sax music featured in Benny Hill show. Every time. :P

I think Radagast would have gone down better had they omitted the stick insect 'gag' and edited the warg chase better. I think that initial hedgehog/spider attack scene is fine, no problems there.

Lol! I completely forgot about the stick insect gag....maybe I need to rewatch this film. Yes, there are times where they just push it too far, where its not as funny as Jackson would like to think.

And tere must be a Benny Hill version of the chase scene on YouTube somewhere by now! :P

I think Radagast would have gone down better had they omitted the stick insect 'gag' and edited the warg chase better. I think that initial hedgehog/spider attack scene is fine, no problems there.

Yes the initial introduction is quite well done and goes right to the heart of what kind of character he is, concerned for the nature and animals in such a big way and being a very eccentric hermit, who still can mean business when he has to.

The documentaries actually made some of the film makers' choices more understandable. E.g. Armitage's apology for the small but significant detail of Thorin's beard being so short but he had come up with an explanation for that, keeping his beard short in memory of his slain kin after Smaug's attack.

It's just the bit where they arrive at the farm.

Is that scene really six minutes long?

Orc Women?

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=667269;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Oooh the super delicate subject of Orc women might come up in the films. They were not all churned out of steam, mud and slime then. ;)

Perhaps there will be a catfight between one of them and Tauriel. You know, to appeal to the kids.

You have hit absolute action gold right there. All the for the kiddies! For the kiddies!

Having now watched a good deal of the documentaries I have to say we really dodged the bullet with the Radagast design that ended up in the film since many of the earlier attempts are just crazy compared to that. Not that it makes it much better but it really was the lesser of evils.

And it is nice they found a way to use all those discarded Azog designs (including what we have been calling Bolg) as additional orcs in the battle of Azanulbizar. Rather irritating that they fell in love with Azog so badly they had to keep him alive (I doubt there will be any necromacering done on him, he just survived the wound) instead of opting with more loyal to Tolkien concept for the main villain.

What additional orcs were there at Azanulbizar? I saw the old Azog design we know of Bolg. What other ones are there?

Well I expect they didn't waste those other designs either even though we see the early Azog that is supposed to be Bolg in the battle of Nanduhirion. And now I am interested to see has Bolg been redesigned for DoS or not.

What?!!! We need to see Orc women! Especially if they tie into Azog's terrible grudge against the dwarves of Durin's line.

Oh of course it makes perfect sense. I'm sure everyone will have thought that Azog's wife was dead, killed by the dwarves which is followed by Azog trying to get his revenge. But at the end of TABA, there'll be a twist! Azog's wife, was never dead all along! And they'll get together again for a happy ending.

Better yet, maybe after Kili gets rejected by Tauriel, he goes for the orc woman instead! Since orcs are derived from elves anyways, it makes perfect sense! Or Kili will get Tauriel and Fili, the orc woman, and this will end TABA on a cliffhanger note which will set up a knock-off TV series directed by Peter Jackson about the epic saga of Azog's pursuit for his woman, who was boldly whisked away under the mountains by the young dwarves. And naturally this will take place between the events of The Hobbit and LotR, and somehow the Hunt for Gollum will get thrown in there to bridge it all together so people can watch Peter Jackson's genius from the Hobbit onwards!

Brilliant!

Yet another piece of expanded stories of Middle Earth genius right there KK!

It really makes me wonder though, with all the overflowing expanded stuff they've included already, where will the have room to go into such depth about Azog and his "extensive history"?

Thinking about these films gives me a headache sometimes...

Most likely the Trollhoard stuff is included..

There. You answered your own question!

Just finished watching the film with the audio commentary. I have to say, it's still as interesting as ever. PJ's audio commentaries are amongst the bests I've listened to. He goes into great detail about each aspect of the film, how they approached each scene, why they changed stuff from the book, etc. You're never bored one minute. The only thing I find to be slightly disappointing in this commentary is the absence of Fran Walsh. Apart from that, this was a great commentary track from start to finish.

I am still dissapointed there was no music in the scene selection menus, but what can you do (besides storming PJ's house of course)

They ditched Walsh after hell broke loose in the commentary of RotK when she said she understood why people think the ending was way too long.

Imagine what she'd say about AUJ with that kind of mindset ;)

I am still dissapointed there was no music in the scene selection menus

Yep. A shame, indeed.

They ditched Walsh after hell broke loose in the commentary of RotK when she said she understood why people think the ending was way too long.

Imagine what she'd say about AUJ with that kind of mindset ;)

That's why I would have liked her to be on the commentary track! ;)

"I really wanted the Talking Purse, but Pete had to have his Stick Insect gag, so we replaced the Purse with the knife to free the horses"

I doubt Walsh would call her boyfriend "Jackson" ;)

I thought they were married?

Nope.

I remember an interview with Walsh (rare as they are) where the reporter was surprised they weren't married. She was asked why, and she said something like "I don't know, Pete just never asked me" and she jokingly added that she would probably say No anyway ;)