Wow terrific images! I just love Howe's and Lee's work. Thanks for the link BloodBoal!

better pic:

305962_509179259115567_988189739_n.jpg

Are those coins real?

No wonder world economics are slowing down, it's Jackson's fault!

My guess is that this is Bilbo approaching Smaug invisible with the ring on. Post-production "ring" effects are obviously not applied yet.

I remember what I said about making up something big in Lake Town. Maybe the film will end with them reaching the Lonely Mountain.

Either way, I don't mind that much, because I'm starting to see these more and more as unfinished collections of footage that could be a film in a paralell universe, and not so much as a film itself.

Absolutely, that's a guarantee

Whether or not the film ends with Smaug still alive is the only thing people debate. I personally cannot possibly imagine he'll be dead by Film 2, I just can't see it. I think Film 2 will end with him departing to attack laketown, and we have our first real cliffhanger ending of the film series

It certainly would be within the realm of possibility that Jackson will keep Smaug alive until midway through or towards the end of the Battle of Five Armies I suppose

I wonder what the hell would Smaug do during the battle? The whole thing happens because of Smaug's death. Unless they play it as LOTR lite, with the Necromancer and the orcs and Smaug (for some convenient reason) on on side and then the others. And then... PJ would be hated by the fandom forever.

I dunno man, after resurrected Azog and the complete rewriting of Dwarf history anything is possible!

I don't think it will necessarily be anticlimactic to have Smaug die early into TABA BTW. It's not like the movie has to open with him attacking Laketown and getting shot, they can invent other things to do, more dialogue for him to say before he dies.

It certainly would be within the realm of possibility that Jackson will keep Smaug alive until midway through or towards the end of the Battle of Five Armies I suppose

I can see this happening.

But they did talk about how they had to work with the problem of Smaug's early death, so I assume they do follow his death in the book (in relation to the timeline).

Especially since they shot it as 2 films, and in the 2 film structure Smaug would be introduced in the final film, so it was less important to stretch out his screen time

Of course, they are doing 12 weeks of filming next summer so who knows. We'll have to follow which actors are called back

I hope the filming doesn't mean subsituten good footage that followed the book for some made up nonsense to stretch it out more.

You know what I find hilarious. Jackson tells of the time when they were planning LOTR, when they actually had to assure the studio that making LOTR in three films wouldn't mean over stretching the story.

I really hope that a future blu ray release of the original and new trilogy contains a deleted scenes disc showing everything they filmed that hasn't been integrated into a cut yet, including original versions of scenes replaced by reshoots

Oh no, I don't mean that at all - I didn't mean they should finish up special effects or anything. Just dump from whatever the last rough cut they existed in, in whatever state they were in at the time. its a bonus feature, not a new integration into the film

They did that with an alternate opening to John Carter. Leaving aside the quality of the scene in question (I think I prefer the final film's opening, much simpler and powerful with Dafoe's voice), it's something extremely interesting to see.

I think the new scenes will probably consist of more new stuff. Bloat over more development of the same scenes.

I think with two films Dol Guldur wouldn't have have been attacked by the council until the second film for sure

I mean it will probably take the length of the entire Mirkwood sequence for Gandalf to explore it solo, then he still has to go back and tell the council, they have to prepare for assault, etc.

That's not bloated, that's a brisk adventure, where you get out of something and end up in something worse. FOTR wasn't overbloated.

I think with two films Dol Guldur wouldn't have have been attacked by the council until the second film for sure

I mean it will probably take the length of the entire Mirkwood sequence for Gandalf to explore it solo, then he still has to go back and tell the council, they have to prepare for assault, etc.

The thing is, that would have meant that Film 1 wouldn't have had a big climax, while Film 2 would have had THREE big setpieces (The assault on Dol Guldur, Smaug's attack on Laketown and the BO5A), that's why I think the White Council's assault was more certainly meant to be at the end of Film 1.

It makes dramatic sense to have that at the end of film 1. Then Gandalf returns in the middle of the second film.

It won't.

In an interview, Boyens talked about it, and how certain things from the book are "sacrosaint". So Smaug will die like in the book.

It won't.

In an interview, Boyens talked about it, and how certain things from the book are "sacrosaint". So Smaug will die like in the book.

Which is why I said it probably wouldn't have gone that way.

I think we can expect a few "back and forth" between the Dwarves and Smaug for Bilbo. Perhaps he'll go into Erebor once, see dragon, then come back to tell the Dwarves, then he goes there and talk with Smaug, then goes back to the Dwarves, then finally go once more to Smaug, speak with him again, then still the cup (or whatever that is he's suppose to steal), then Smaug goes to attack Laketown. Perhaps Bard won't kill him then, but later, during a second attack or something like that.

I just realized something: while I think that in the end, I'll be agains the trilogy idea, the problem is that with two films, both films would have been filled with too much stuff:

• Film 1: Prologue (the coming of Smaug), Bag-End party, the Trolls, Rivendell, Goblintown, riddles in the dark, Beorn's house, Mirkwood and the spiders, Thranduil's castle, and the barrels escape (+ all the Dol Guldur subplot, probably culminating with the assault of the White Council)
  • Film 2: Arrival at Laketown, journey to Erebor, finding the secret entrance, encounter with Smaug, Smaug attack on Laketown and Smaug's death, armies assembling, Battle Of Five Armies, then all the endings (+ perhaps a few more bits from the White Council subplot)

But again, with three films it all feels stretched. It's a hard balance to get...

You're right, with the material they have, 2 films would have been too packed. With 3 films, we don't know if they all ended up feeling "stretched". It could be the other 2 films work far better in pace. And watching part 1 the second time, the blame seemed less on the lack of content than it was the lack of proper planning and pacing.With all that content, you could have made certain scenes seem less pointless than it did.

Considering the film does really kick into adventure mode by the end, my hope is that the next 2 films don't feel too bloated.

I'm sure Jackson and co. will discuss the original film structures in the EE commentaries. I'm sure it was completely different to what we ended up with; not merely chopping off the final 30 minutes and saving for film 2.