The shot of the dudes walking on the huge dwarf statue is nice, though it's kinda the Argonath again. The shots of the Mirkwood elfy stuff are also nice, though it looks a lot like Lothlorien again.

There are lots of pretty locales, though.

Locales look very impressive.

What CG locales are you referring to?

Shut up, Boal. CG isn't automatically horrible every time it's used, and you misunderstand the effects process if you think these shots aren't full of mattes and hand crafted elements, even though they aren't real location shots.

Well here's an embed of teaser w/o subtitles from the WB youtube channel

Clicking play now....

CG isn't automatically horrible every time it's used, and you misunderstand the effects process if you think these shots aren't full of mattes and hand crafted elements, even though they aren't real location shots.

You're missing the point.

Well, I disagree with the consensus here - I think it looks great!

Yup, definitely some obvious CGI shots, which is unfortunate. But I loved the look of all the locales and characters, with the exception of Tauriel and Legolas.... they both looked... off to me, like they were from another movie (which is weird since Legolas was in the old movies. Something about his eyes, or movements, or something was totally different though.)

Music was, of course, absolutely atrociously bad. Why can't they have Shore write original music in the style they want for these things?

CG isn't automatically horrible every time it's used, and you misunderstand the effects process if you think these shots aren't full of mattes and hand crafted elements, even though they aren't real location shots.

True but there's no harm in admitting when it's impressively done.

Well that looked glossy and rather plastic. I hope they improve on those CGI shots as they looked embarrassingly obvious in nearly all shots of the trailer. Oh and I hope that was most of Legolas' cameo in the film right there. Oh and Azog is hanging in there as well. Oh bugger!

I liked the Smaug design as much as there was to see. Nice Howe/Lee vibe going on. Funny how it was kept a secret through the first film and now we see it straight in the teaser trailer. Oh well.

How much of the story is left for film 3 when they already awaken Smaug in the second film? The battle of Five Armies? Returning Home?

Oh yea, Smaug looked great!

it was dumb to reveal his entire head in the teaser though, yes.

It's a given the weak CGI will be improved, considering pretty much everyone who has seen the trailer has commented on it. They have 5 months for that anyway.

0:26 Bilbo in the butterflies. Nice shot

I like Smaug so far, as well, and you still can't see him too clearly since he's silhouetted. So they gave away more than I expected, but there's still a lot more to reveal, including his voice.

0:26 Bilbo in the butterflies. Nice shot

I like Smaug so far, as well, and you still can't see him too clearly since he's silhouetted. So they gave away more than I expected, but there's still a lot more to reveal, including his voice.

I wonder how the voice is handled? Will he really speak or will there be some weird telepathy or some such nonsense?

And I do.

Since Benedict Cumberbatch performed Smaug as motion capture, and McKellen mentioned how amazing his audition was, I'm pretty sure the voice was a big part of it. And that he's going to speak. :P

And I do.

Well I was more referring to my own stated admiration of some of WETA's work glimpsed in this trailer.

Um ... eeh ... well .........

:eh:

What ... am I ... watching?

I guess, after doing everything to keep his design secret, there is no better way to reveal Smaug than in the afterthought of a horrendous teaser trailer in the middle of the year. WTF?

Ok, no Shore, but I doubt he earnestly started recording yet, so that was expected (yes, my dear Bloo ... Tauriel).

The rest looks just so artificial. The barrell sequence looks like it's exaggerated to an even greater degree than the Goblin Town escape. Azog looks horrendous here. As soon as he appeared, my heart sank. It looks like an enormous amount of time will be spent in Mirkwood.

Altogether, I lament even more now that all has to be done by green screen.

If the trailer is an indication of how many questionable CGI shots will be in the film, I think this time it is a good idea to not watch it in HFR for the first time.

Well, time to go dark on this beleaguered trilogy again already. I fully intend to avoid all imagery of Smaug, for some really stupid reason. I can but try.

It's not stupid - it would have been cool to not see Smaug until Bilbo does. Oh well.

If we're lucky we won't hear him till Bilbo does.

Hmm.

I like some bits and am worried by some others. Smaug's appearance at the end doesn't even bother me, and the design looks cool.

What bothers me:

1) Red-haired Tauriel. I've never complained about Lily getting to play an Elf in these movies, but the red hair fits neither her nor, as far as I remember my Silmarillion, and Elves in Middle-earth

2) Elven bowmen chasing the barrel Dwarves looks like yet another unnecessary, overdone action set piece... Goblintown all over again?

3) What's Fluffy doing in Middle-earth?

Disappointed in that trailer really. Far too much flying around shots, heavily CG'd, and that last shot... my god. Almost looked like a videogame with the 'mechanical' camera movement.

I can understand they've got 5 months to get the effects better, but surely you want to complete a small number to perfection and put them in the trailer, rather than showing a 'work in progress'.

They probably won't get that much better

I'm just glad they didn't stick Gollum in here anywhere

No old Bilbo or Frodo either

What is up with Legolas's eyes? They look SO weird!

Love the shot up them climbing up the giant statue's arm

Smaug looks awesome.

Barrel sequence does look like it's been blown out of proportion. Yuck.

MUSIC IS SO SO SO BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I expect him to gracefully compose over the flaws of the film, like in the first one.

The more pressing question is how much will be tracked from AUJ. And if PJ will use the Rohan theme for Laketown :mrgreen:

And where's Stephen Fry?

I wondered.

3) What's Fluffy doing in Middle-earth?

Some people call him Beorn...

Seriously?

nor, as far as I remember my Silmarillion, and Elves in Middle-earth

What, the Elves never change or what?

As far as hair colour heritage goes, Tolkien seemed rather specific.

the-hobbit-desolation-of-smaug-hd-traile

neues_tolkienbuch_erscheint_2013_tolkien

Big wtf moment for me. Those shots look they come from films like Jack and the Giant Slayer or Epic.

Watching it again though, I must admit there are some impressive CGI shots. Mirkwood seems impressively rendered. Laketown is nice too. And say what you will about the barrel sequence, but it actually looks well shot, and seems like it'll be fun. I mean I love that opening shot of the sequence at 0:23. More importantly, there's the music to consider!

My problems lie with the CG elves running in the trees....they look like video game characters. The spider designs (they look so incredibly fake, like something from Burton's Alice in Wonderland). Legolas looks weird (the way he moves and his eyes).

Then came the shot at 1:08, with the over-the-top CG action and the appearance of Azog (which made my heart sink...). We won't be getting rid of him anytime soon. Whatever happened to the carefully executed action sequences in LotR? With all the extras fighting with hand-crafted choreography?! I miss stuff like Helm's Deep where the fight actually happens! Unlike this film, where everything can be done with CGI.... :(

It saddens me when I realize this whole film was probably filmed in studio, in front of a green screen. Where was the fascinating film-making journey that was shared with us in LotR?

I don't like the giant dwarf statue by the way....again, dwarves don't make for great statues, and they just look all the more fake. But I have some hope for some great scenes. Hopefully the Smaug/Bilbo scene will be what the Riddles in the Dark was for the first part; the film's saving grace. I also think Tauriel might not end up being a bad character.

But Azog...good Lord! It's again with the him and the orc chase...it was already exhausting in the first film, it will most certainly bog down the 2nd. Why doesn't Jackson just let the million other things going on in this jam-packed film to do the speaking. Allow the film to dwell more on the fantasy of Beorn, Mirkwood, Smaug etc. Allow all these new locations and concepts to breathe. I can understand needing something to drive the plot in the first film, but here it's just too excessive.

By the way, with so much new stuff on screen, I'm really excited about the music!