@ BloodB ... Tauriel

What would be the point then of Gandalf visiting Dol Guldur?

Because Radgy told him there was evil there?

Raddy.

Rad-man.

Rad-brown.

Gast-man.

@ BloodB ... Tauriel

What would be the point then of Gandalf visiting Dol Guldur?

Because Radgy told him there was evil there?

Well, duh!

I mean story-wise. It doesn't help the plot move forward one bit.

Are you pulling this out of your ass? Because that sounds pretty awful.

How would Galadriel know he's there? Telepathy? And what about Radagast, isn't he there as well? Does that mean both Gandalf and Radagast get their ass wipped by a granny dwarf?

Plus even if you do like it, don't you like boxsets? You know there's gonna be one

Well yeah, but that means skipping the other two films in the theater and waiting 3 more years for a box set. Who am I kidding, even if I bought it now I wouldn't watch it.

Plus even if you do like it, don't you like boxsets? You know there's gonna be one

Well yeah, but that means skipping the other two films in the theater and waiting 3 more years for a box set. Who am I kidding, even if I bought it now I wouldn't watch it.

Just redbox it for $1! There's gotta be one in your local supermarket or gas station

No - I thought the trailer was a mixed bag of good stuff and odd stuff, and I still can't wait to see the movie.

Scores gonna be awesome

Just redbox it for $1! There's gotta be one in your local supermarket or gas station

Oh there definitely is. One at every 7-11. I'm just saying I wouldn't watch it because I still don't have my home theater set up. Need an appropriate TV stand and speaker stands. Also the room I planned on setting it up in isn't really ideal. I'm contemplating doing it in my bedroom, which would make things even more crammed than they already are.

That would rid us of Koray for a couple of years.

Zimmer would still be here though.

The trailer was indeed a mixed bag, and it's quite curious how obvious the CGI is at times, considering how far the technology has come... But I guess the overuse of it and the already exaggerated digital look of the film might be working against it in that sense.

Also, while I loved seeing Smaug, I think it was quite a mistake to show so much of him already. It feels like all the build-up there has been has dissapeared almost instantly. I wonder if it's because they're very insecure about his design and want to lower down the already impossible expectations a bit.

At least we don't get to hear his voice yet, I'm glad they are saving that still. Although personally I would have preferred to hear his voice instead of actually seeing him. Something like the reveal of Vermithrax on Dragonslayer could have worked so much better. Build up, build up, build up and then BOOM!

dragonslayer.jpg

But I'm still very excited about hearing the exchange between Bilbo and Smaug on screen. That has to be one the most exquisite dialogues of all time, written or on film. In fact, most Tolkien is like that: Every word feels so carefully chosen and put with a reason, it's simply a delight to read.

No - I thought the trailer was a mixed bag of good stuff and odd stuff, and I still can't wait to see the movie.

Scores gonna be awesome

This.

Scores gonna be awesome

This.

Ditto.

Might want to put that giant cap of Smaug in spoiler tags, Michael. People, particularly Quint, want to avoid it.

That's not Smaug.

It's Peter Jackson though, Smaug will probably be re-designed months before the films release :P

It's funny coz it's true

Maybe the real reason the cgi looks so shit in general is because his visual effects people deliberately knock it together without care - in preparation for having it all scrapped two weeks before release.

It's funny coz it's true

Maybe the real reason the cgi looks so shit in general is because his visual effects people deliberately knock it together without care - in preparation for having it all scrapped two weeks before release.

I honestly think there's something in this. Jackson has his faults but I can't imagine why he would want to show this much of Smaug in the trailer. Remember how closely guarded the likes of Gollum and Shelob were? Hell, we never even saw Azog before AUJ hit cinemas, albeit a slight glimpse in a TV spot. I have to think Warner put pressure on him to have a large Smaug reveal in the trailer, and thus he had WETA knock something together which either won't be in the film or doesn't properly represent Smaug.

Might want to put that giant cap of Smaug in spoiler tags, Michael. People, particularly Quint, want to avoid it.

That's not Smaug.

You've got to see Dragonslayer, Koray! I have a feeling you could like it quite a bit. The practical special effects and the extremly unusual score really make the film.

Wasn't there a situation like this on Fellowship? A writer or producer that was left over from the days when LOTR was going to be 2 films hung on to their credit for FOTR but then disappeared. A lot of history repeating itself with these films it seems!

It was the other way around - Peter, Fran, and Philippa are credited for all 3 films, but The Two Towers also gives credit to Stephen Sinclair

The MPAA has rated "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Extended Cut" PG13 for "extended sequences of intense fantasy action violence, frightening images and fleeting nudity".

Source: http://www.filmratings.com/downloads/cara_rating_bulletin.pdf

So I'm guessing the nudity is either a Dwarf butt (mooning Rivendell elves perhaps?) or - more likely - the Goblin King's butt as he uses his toilet throne?

Nudity Jackson? really? well, each LOTR extended had its gross out moments, Lurtz and the knife in FOTR, the dunlending swearing to Saruman in TT, and in ROTK... the heads at minas tirith?

I have a feeling the Goblin King toilet throne thing is going to be really, really gross