Oh great that's just what we need, Orcish songs, awkward dwarven comedy and some more time spent in Hobbiton before the quest starts (probably the most promising bit from those PJ mentioned).

I wonder if Dwarf End Cap will underscore the dwarves mooning at the elves in Rivendell.

Oh great that's just what we need, Orcish songs, awkward dwarven comedy and some more time spent in Hobbiton before the quest starts (probably the most promising bit from those PJ mentioned).

I wonder if Dwarf End Cap will underscore the dwarves mooning at the elves in Rivendell.

I wondered the same thing in the 'Desolation of Smaug' thread I think.

The Girion stuff sounds interesting (even though the prologue already feels a bit too long in the theatrical cut). Maybe we'll get to hear bits of Bard's theme, since his story is related to Girion's.

Yeah. None of the stuff they've mentioned particularly interests me, but it could give us some great new hints in the music.

EmpireAug13-2.jpg

Guess that might explain the additional music for Smaug's attack on the soundtrack...

Building up the arrows used to kill Smaug? Really?

I don't quite understand what you mean Jason.

In the novel there is a black arrow, a special arrow that Bard uses and probably these are somehow special dragon piercing,slaying (magical) arrows inherited by Bard from his ancestors. Tolkien never elaborates more on this than by saying that this single arrow came from the forges of Erebor a long time ago.

The Girion stuff sounds interesting (even though the prologue already feels a bit too long in the theatrical cut). Maybe we'll get to hear bits of Bard's theme, since his story is related to Girion's.

Yeah. None of the stuff they've mentioned particularly interests me, but it could give us some great new hints in the music.

Indeed. Remember that this is the version of the music we will get on the eventual complete recordings (fingers crossed that there will be one for all three scores).

Does this mean that in the extended cut the dragon gets even more revealed in the prologue?

I guess there has to be a shot or two more of Girion shooting at him but they don't necessarily have to show more than they did before. They can always obscure him with smoke and fire.

I think it would have been great if Thorin had told the story of the coming of Smaug and destruction of Erebor during the unexpected party. It might have been a long flashback but would have fitted the story very well. Plus the original opening of the novel would have been really a surprise to the audience not familiar with the story.

I can understand that they wanted to create continuity with LotR with a frame story but the prologue is a bit clunky to say the least.

I think the dual Baggins/Tookish Side theme contains subtle references to the melody itself but of course they share the same step-wise progression of the Shire themes.

The LotR EEs were a pretty good indication that The Hobbit would receive the same treatment. I didn't even consider buying the theatrical edition of the movie in any format. Although one could say that the additions to the film might not be as welcome as in LotR where the extended and new scenes actually added some nice moments to the story but for the Hobbit PJs comments do not seem to bode so well.

I get a 404 error when I click your link

Seems strange they'd film a Frodo opening without a Frodo ending

Yea, that's a good point - the prologue ends with Frodo leaving the house to go meet Gandalf, there really wouldn't be a way to have him show up in the Hobbit films again

They can easily take some random shot from LotR and stick it there at the end of the third film. ;)

How about this one? Perfectly mysterious blank image of Aragorn would bridge the trilogies with efficiency. No words, just this image. Shot through a shaky hand held (3D) camera, zooming in and out and hovering in a circle over it. Mysterious, tense, weird. Perhaps some theremin music underscoring it. Oscar worthy in itself.

the_lord_of_rings_aragorn_viggo_mortense

Probably ends with Gandalf knocking at Bilbo's door. Where Bilbo shouts, "No thank you!" Camera pulls back as voices recedes in the distance. The end.

How about this one? Perfectly mysterious blank image of Aragorn would bridge the trilogies with efficiency. No words, just this image. Shot through a shaky hand held (3D) camera, zooming in and out and hovering in a circle over it. Mysterious, tense, weird. Perhaps some theremin music underscoring it. Oscar worthy in itself.

the_lord_of_rings_aragorn_viggo_mortense

With Gollum on his feet. Last words, "my precious" in an echoed whisper.

Verily she is. Now let's see if her character has a point to it in the story itself.

The apparent new casting of renowned stage actor Sir Antony Sher is the big news here, and it seems to have flown under the radar for some reason. It certainly suggests Thrain will have a sizeable role in DoS, and will most certainly have some speaking parts. It wouldn't make sense to get a new actor of Sher's calibre in if the role of Thrain wasn't going to be ramped up. Already it seems they're re-doing his Azanulbizar scene, presumably for part of the prologue. I'd love for the film to begin kind of like The Two Towers, with a tracking shot beginning at the Doors of Durin, passing through Moria and coming out of the Dimrill Gate, where the two armies are embroiled in fighting (imagine the music possibilities here; Moria, Dwarrowdelf, Ancient Enemy variation). Thrain's story could then be related from here.

The apparent new casting of renowned stage actor Sir Antony Sher is the big news here, and it seems to have flown under the radar for some reason. It certainly suggests Thrain will have a sizeable role in DoS, and will most certainly have some speaking parts. It wouldn't make sense to get a new actor of Sher's calibre in if the role of Thrain wasn't going to be ramped up. Already it seems they're re-doing his Azanulbizar scene, presumably for part of the prologue. I'd love for the film to begin kind of like The Two Towers, with a tracking shot beginning at the Doors of Durin, passing through Moria and coming out of the Dimrill Gate, where the two armies are embroiled in fighting (imagine the music possibilities here; Moria, Dwarrowdelf, Ancient Enemy variation). Thrain's story could then be related from here.

This could be promising. Anthony Sher is fantastic actor. I hope they have given him some good material to work with.

Are you saying the re-cast Thrain from the actor who played Thrain in the first film?

What's your source?