Thrain's story could then be related from here.

Apparently, that's what we're getting for the prologue, indeed. It seems they are going to tell the story of what happened to Thrain, and that would probably be the best place to put it.

It still bugs me that Gandalf might meet him in the second film, which makes no sense in the time line, unless it is a flashback (which his scuffle with the bedraggled bearded creature in Dol Guldur doesn't seem to be).

Apparently the EE will already contain the footage of Sher instead of the other actor. Though the theatrical version remains the same.

Source?

Are you saying the re-cast Thrain from the actor who played Thrain in the first film?

What's your source?

The Empire article mentions "Antony Sher's Thrain" filming his disappearance from the fight outside Moria during their time on set (June). A quick search of twitter also reveals that Sher was in Wellington in June, so it must be him.

Obviously they wanted an actor with more gravitas, suggesting they've decided to increase Thrain's role. With all due respect to Mike Mizrahi and/or Thomas Robins, Sher is in another league really. I say Mizrahi and/or Robins because two Thrains are credited in AUJ, so it remains to be seen if Sher will be both or just the pre-crazy, Dol Guldur Thrain.

What happens for the AUJ: EE remains to be seen. I speculated on TheOneRing that they may change that introductory shot of Thrain but not much else. I too would like the source stating that Sher's Thrain is seen in the EE.

While they are at it, they should rework the Arkenstone design and effect. It looked pretty cheap in the prologue.

The Thrain bit in question is near the end of the article. I very much doubt Empire are mistaken on this, and it's highly unlikely there's another Antony Sher knocking about. I doubt they'd have mentioned him if he wasn't the award-winning famed actor.

After I have read the article, I have a very bad feeling about this. PJ will bloat the hell out of this story for the sake of "doing things darker and filling in the backstory".

And there is going to be a lot of action. Even the barrel escape will be another chase sequence I am sure.

Just read the entire article. Not sure what's got BB so tickered off, nothing sounds that crazy. Really only the mention of "bombs and infernal artillery" kinda made me pause.

I have a very bad feeling about this

I had a bad feeling before, now I wouldn't know how to describe it. It's... puzzling and that it goes on for three films feels like some sort of nerd comedy, like when they said Zimmer would score Superman.

Just read the entire article. Not sure what's got BB so tickered off, nothing sounds that crazy. Really only the mention of "bombs and infernal artillery" kinda made me pause.

As I said, Jackson is going to bloat the hell out of this story. More chases, more action, more cool stunts! More, more more! Muahahahaaaaa!!!!MORE!

Well, for a start,

Tauriel resuscitating a woman...

I kind of like the idea of the Dwarves facing the dragon somehow, but I'm not sure PJ can pull it off in a satisfying way. We'll see.

If anything the dwarves attacking the dragon will only lessen his effect and impact. In the novel the dwarves for a good reason avoid the hopeless combat and are genuinely and wisely scared of Smaug. Even in the worst bouts of greed or pride they do not attack him in the novel as he is invinsible and all attempts would be futile and deadly. But of course PJ makes the heroes take initiative in his typical fashion. Heroic moments. MORE!

If anything the dwarves attacking the dragon will only lessen his effect and impact. In the novel the dwarves for a good reason avoid the hopeless combat and are genuinely and wisely scared of Smaug. Even in the worst bouts of greed or pride they do not attack him in the novel as he is invinsible and all attempts would be futile and deadly. But of course PJ makes the heroes take initiative in his typical fashion. Heroic moments. MORE!

Oh, no, that's not how I understand it. In my mind, things happens just like in the book : Bilbo goes to see Smaug, pisses him off, Smaug goes out of the mountain and attack the Dwarves near the secret entrance, and that's when they fight back (just for a short moment). If things happen like that, I'm more or less OK with that (it still depends on how they pull it off, though), but if they do happen like you say (the Dwarves decide to kick Smaug out of the mountain), then no, I'm not OK with that idea and I completely agree with you!

Oh, no, that's not how I understand it. In my mind, things happens just like in the book : Bilbo goes to see Smaug, pisses him off, Smaug goes out of the mountain and attack the Dwarves near the secret entrance, and that's when they fight back. If things happen like that, I'm more or less OK with that (it still depends on how they pull it off, though), but if they do happen like you say (the Dwarves decide to kick Smaug out of the mountain), then no, I'm not OK with that idea and I completely agree with you!

I am just afraid that PJ makes it a bit more heroic than it could actually be. Smaug would have incinerated the whole group in an instant if they had actually tried to put up a fight. He levels the mountainside in his anger and collapses the secret door and tunnel in minutes. I really don't see any way for them to "fight back" at that moment in any other way that by running away as they do in the book and lock themselves inside the mountain as the only alternative left. But of course there might be an elaborate action scene in there. Even more horrible would be some kind of attack on Smaug before or after this scene.

I am just afraid that PJ makes it a bit more heroic than it could actually be. Smaug would have incinerated the whole group in an instant if they had actually tried to put up a fight. He levels the mountainside in his anger and collapses the secret door and tunnel in minutes. I really don't see any way for them to "fight back" at that moment in any other way that by running away as they do in the book and lock themselves inside the mountain as the only alternative left. But of course there might be an elaborate action scene in there. Even more horrible would be some kind of attack on Smaug before or after this scene.

Maybe Tauriel will help the Dwarves somehow. After all, she joins them on their journey to the mountain, so she has to be of some use to them!

But honestly I don't really care anymore. PJ is obviously making his own brand of The Hobbit with enormous liberties. I guess the best attitude is to go along for the ride. This will never be as satisfying as the LotR trilogy was (even with its deviations from the source material). If I want my original nice Hobbit I will read the novel.

Yeah. No point in hoping when PJ is obviously going his own "movie logic" way to make things more exciting and bigger and better and expanded and deepened and what-not. I guess some essence of the storyline of the book will be there somewhere but he has taken a whole bucket full of lard and fattened it all up into something bloated and ungainly in the name of 3D technology and bigger and better blockbuster.

It's going to be a fun movie with a great cast and a great score. Hopefully no head-scratching moments like Radagast going around in circles instead of one direction.

It's going to be a fun movie with a great cast and a great score. Hopefully no head-scratching moments like Radagast going around in circles instead of one direction.

Nice of you to be so optimistic.

Oh yeah and the score is going to be awesome in any case if PJ leaves Mr. Shore well alone to create it and stops inserting irritating verbatim musical call-backs to LotR every 10 minutes to remind us that we are in the same universe.

Oh, there'll be a Legolas In Mirkwood Theme, Legolas and Tauriel Theme, Legolas Hates Dwarves Theme, and a Legolas Saves The Day Theme, don't you worry!

Cause the Fellowship Theme means more, its a specific theme used only for the band of 9 that agree to destroy the ring.*

The Nazgul Theme is more able to be used for a general "sauron is bad" theme.... especially since Sauron is acting evil during the time of The Hobbit. No one wants to destroy the ring during the time of The Hobbit.

*I know it was hinted at in the Prologue too.

You typically hear the Fellowship theme during all Legolas's over-the-top action moments in LotR, which is the only worrisome thing. It could be one of those things like with the Nazgul theme - "oh it sounds awesome, throw it in!" But hopefully BloodBoal is right and he gets his own theme, or can just borrow a general Mirkwood elf theme.

I also hope the Lothlorien theme doesn't crop up again, like it did in Hobbit 1. But I can wait and complain about that if it happens!

A long time ago, I bet that we will hear the Fellowship theme at some point in this odd trilogy. Anyone willing to go up against that bet?

Legolas is a member of the Fellowship, and the Fellowship theme is applied to any of those characters in LotR, not only the group specifically. When FOTR ended and we moved to TTT and ROTK, the theme represented more the spirit of the Fellowship than anything else. I can totally see it appearing in DOS or/and TABA.

Now, whether I want to hear it is a different story.

But I'm sure PJ will make the right decision ..............

really, in that scan from the magazine... you can clearly see Orlando bloom is different. It seems he lost his youth looks (more sware jawed, bulkier) and the contact lenses are very odd...

He looks more like the thranduil drawing portrait in battle for middle earth II.

I even starting to think thranduil in the film looks younger than legolas...

Seconds ago we finished our last shot with Gandalf. The end of an incredible adventure that began in 1999. I'm feeling very sad right now.

1040052_10151695746566558_1136393362_o.j

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151695746566558&set=a.10150238899061558.364437.141884481557&type=1

Cause the Fellowship Theme means more, its a specific theme used only for the band of 9 that agree to destroy the ring.*

The Nazgul Theme is more able to be used for a general "sauron is bad" theme.... especially since Sauron is acting evil during the time of The Hobbit. No one wants to destroy the ring during the time of The Hobbit.

*I know it was hinted at in the Prologue too.

And for the elves at helms deep (though it was cut)

True.

The point is, it's always used as a theme for those opposing Sauron. Wouldn't make sense for it to be used for Legolas doing whatever he does in Mirkwood when no one even knows Sauron is back yet

True.

The point is, it's always used as a theme for those opposing Sauron. Wouldn't make sense for it to be used for Legolas doing whatever he does in Mirkwood when no one even knows Sauron is back yet

Rather the theme is keyed to the members of the Fellowship, which hasn't been formed yet.

As we just said though, it was also used for the elves in the prologue and the elves at Helm's Deep.

As we just said though, it was also used for the elves in the prologue and the elves at Helm's Deep.

Well in the Prologue it is just a hint and in Helm's Deep the members of the Fellowship are present. I would not exactly call it all purpose "good guys opposing Sauron theme". If I would have pick nits I would say that the Fellowship itself is the focus of the theme, not the resistance to Sauron (absent or not).

Which is why PJ will probably demand it to be used in the Hobbit. It is cool!