Yeah! why did they track the Ring theme twice in cues that had perfectly good score already!

The tracked ring theme when bilbo picks up the ring is highly appropriate but they shouldn't have removed the other variations

Since when was tracking appropriate when the original music featured much more creative variations of the same classic theme?

Yes, looks like it's The Appendices Part 7 (Continued) indeed. Weird, though. Will the documentaries really be that much longer compared to the ones for LOTR?

I wonder what they have to talk about it. I mean most of the Hobbit was filmed in studio anyways...what's so exciting about a bunch of green screens?

I could watch the footage of them shooting on location in beautiful New Zealand all day. But yes the interior shooting stuff won't be terribly exciting, since there is less detailed set decorating done and more green screen work done.

Sadly the part of the development process that interests me the most on this film - namely the expansion of book material to screenplay, and the post production process of deciding what makes the TCs, what makes the EEs, what got pushed from Film 1 to Film 2 - probably won't be covered in satisfactory detail. Neither will the music, unfortunately.

Since when was tracking appropriate when the original music featured much more creative variations of the same classic theme?

SInce that particular bit was not tracking, I can forgive that one (infact I prefer it, to the bland version on the OST.

SInce that particular bit was not tracking, I can forgive that one (infact I prefer it, to the bland version on the OST.

Was it a new recording of the same old material from LotR? I find that equally unforgivable.

And OST version is certainly far more interesting.

I can't wait to see BloodBoal show us that scene rescored...although I'm sure it'll be rather difficult (considering the cue "Riddles in the Dark" was composed for a different cut of the scene).

Was it a new recording of the same old material from LotR? I find that equally unforgivable.

as unforgivable as tracking that same recording twice (Shadows of the Past and A Conspiracy Unmasked respectively) in FOTR?

besides, it has a new opening and ending.

I think the music heard in the track Riddles In The Dark is for the scene that ended up in the film, it's just that it doesn't contain all the music written for that sequence.

That might be it too. It's just a shorter than the scene that ended up in film, and doesn't meet all the cues of the sequence.

as unforgivable as tracking that same recording twice (Shadows of the Past and A Conspiracy Unmasked respectively) in FOTR?

I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about in FotR, and the diversity in the music largely makes up for it because you don't notice it in the big picture. In the Hobbit, it's glaringly obvious.

Yeah! why did they track the Ring theme twice in cues that had perfectly good score already!

The tracked ring theme when bilbo picks up the ring is highly appropriate but they shouldn't have removed the other variations

By tracking I meant using a very similar statement of the theme from LOTR (I hope it's not the same recording) which is appropriate to me because that moment is in the Fellowship Prologue. In fact watching it back, I might have preferred they stuck with the oboe (or whatever woodwind instrument they used) when bilbo finds the ring, since they are the same event. Quoting the History of the Ring theme verbatim is appropriate since the theme was applied to the ring passing hands in LOTR and so should be treated this way in the Hobbit. Can you see where I'm coming from? I do wish the variations from the CD were also included in the scene not when Bilbo actually picks up the ring.

I'd agree with you if that was its original purpose, but it clearly wasn't. The music doesn't only reuse a thematic statement in EXACTLY the same way, but the scene also features some action music (a memorable sequence at that) from TTT for Gollum's theme, which basically means the music was re-used because more original music could not be provided at the moment. At least differences in orchestration would have helped.

Just because you're trying to reference a classic thematic movement doesn't mean you have to just copy and paste.

If that's a rerecording, then it sounds exactly the same to me and I don't get the point of rerecording it. If that's tracked music, it still sucks, but it's a bit less dumb (by that I mean I understand why PJ tracked it, even though I don't approve).

It's a rerecording and to me it sounds noticeably different, also in tempo and performance.

I don't know about that, but its by and large the same music, which is quite disappointing, perhaps moreso if its a re-recording.. I especially ticked off when I heard "Lost in Emyn Muil" tracked when Gollum was knocking the goblin unconscious.

I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about in FotR, and the diversity in the music largely makes up for it because you don't notice it in the big picture.

Listen to Shadows of the Past right after bilbo's song, A Conspiracy Unmasked right after the ugly fade out of Gollums theme at 1:57, then Parth Galen.

The first minute of Parth Galen, was tracked into the Bag End scenes, with NO changes whatsoever.

The reason you do not notice it in the big picture, is due to the sheer size of the work (plus some other parts of Parth Galen were reused in the prologue, though with actual differences), and because the Dynamic range filled mixing hides it.

I think the music heard in the track Riddles In The Dark is for the scene that ended up in the film, it's just that it doesn't contain all the music written for that sequence.

That might be it too. It's just a shorter than the scene that ended up in film, and doesn't meet all the cues of the sequence.

I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about in FotR, and the diversity in the music largely makes up for it because you don't notice it in the big picture. In the Hobbit, it's glaringly obvious.

By tracking I meant using a very similar statement of the theme from LOTR (I hope it's not the same recording) which is appropriate to me because that moment is in the Fellowship Prologue. In fact watching it back, I might have preferred they stuck with the oboe (or whatever woodwind instrument they used) when bilbo finds the ring, since they are the same event. Quoting the History of the Ring theme verbatim is appropriate since the theme was applied to the ring passing hands in LOTR and so should be treated this way in the Hobbit. Can you see where I'm coming from? I do wish the variations from the CD were also included in the scene not when Bilbo actually picks up the ring.

I'd agree with you if that was its original purpose, but it clearly wasn't. The music doesn't only reuse a thematic statement in EXACTLY the same way, but the scene also features some action music (a memorable sequence at that) from TTT for Gollum's theme, which basically means the music was re-used because more original music could not be provided at the moment. At least differences in orchestration would have helped.

Just because you're trying to reference a classic thematic movement doesn't mean you have to just copy and paste.

I have to say though tracking is less bad than using random inappropriate themes, so isn't the biggest concern in AUJ compared to the nazgul and Gondor themes popping up.

Yes they are, but not the only ones ;)

I prefer the film version, its much more mysterious, and emotional, especially in a score that frustrating, in terms of only hearing the first few notes of familiar themes (Descending Third, Ring Theme etc.)

BTW here are the two videos that were given away for free if you bought the Hobbit: TC BD from Best Buy, not available anywhere else (I don't think they are on the new EE sets)

Hey it has the original music for the Gandalf and galadriel scene in the right spot ;)

WHOA the unused version of the original My Dear Frodo is in the second video, and it seems to be a rendition of Bilbo's theme!

Well, the line of Bilbo's theme is not completed, and in almost every statement of the theme on the OST the line is completed.

1:47.

??? That's A Good Omen.

All the music in these videos comes from the OST.

I distinctly heard Crochet, The film ending of The World is Ahead etc.

Well, I was more responding to your "no unreleased music" comment than your comment about what the cue was, which was true.

Did Azog defile An Unexpected Journey?

Excellent points made, all of which I agreed and have previously mentioned sometime in one of my rants :P

Yup decent points that we've covered here, all nicely summed up in one article.

Also, he does highlight something that's been on the back of my mind for a bit now: That we will actually be LOSING some nice footage in Film 2 and Film 3, that would have been there had it only been 2 films. Such as Thorin's original acceptance of Bilbo after Mirkwood. And since that acceptance has now been pushed up to before Beorn, now little tidbits along the way of Bilbo not being accepted by the group will now all have to be excised or it will contradict the ending of Film 1. Shame.

Yep. With over a year to work on him there's no reason why Azog shouldn't look as good as Gollum in the next two films. I'm sure Smaug will look great as well - he must.

We dutchies aren't phased by some letters on the bottom of our screens!

It read like this:

"I don't want to complain about subtitles, but [complaints about subtitles]."