Tauriel and Kili, with their love theme being sung by the choir underneath the heroic Robin Hood fanfare. Yes!!!

Someone take this to the Horse!

On an unrelated note, here are the bonus features of The Desolation Of Smaug blu-ray:

Special Features*:

THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG LIVE EVENT: IN THE CUTTING ROOM [37m 49s]

NEW ZEALAND: HOME OF MIDDLE EARTH PART 2

MUSIC VIDEO: ED SHEERAN - I SEE FIRE

PETER JACKSON INVITES YOU TO THE SET

PETER JACKSON INVITES YOU TO THE SET: ALL IN A DAY'S WORK

PRODUCTION VIDEOS:

11: INTRODUCTION TO PICK UPS SHOOTING [8m 41s]

12: RECAP OF PICK-UPS PART 1 [7m 58s]

13: RECAP OF PICK-UPS PART 2 [8m 22s]

14: MUSIC SCORING [9m 59s]

* Feature are in no specific order and are subject to change.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=8801331&postcount=237

Well at least there is a music documentary in there this time! :)

Well at least there is a music documentary in there this time! :)

Yeah, even though we've already seen it. ;)

It bodes well for the eventual EE scoring documentary I think. :)

It bodes well for the eventual EE scoring documentary I think. :)

Optimistic bullshit.

The only mention of Shore's score there'll be on the EE set will be in the director's commentary: "So, there's this guy who came in and wrote a bunch of cues for the film... Oh, and, look, Tauriel! My favourite character. It was hard to get her right, because she's such an iconic character in the book. Her presence is vital. In a way, you could say she is the heart of the story. She is the one that binds everything together. We knew that if we screwed her character (pun unintended, don't look at me like that, Fran!), we would lose all our female audience (because why would any woman want to see a male-driven movie? That would never work!) as well as all the horny geeks. The success of the movie depended on her character... Oh, and here's more music by that guy I told you about."

Ah Tauriel, the democratic drawbridge. Always lowering herself to anyone willing.

They included all the production vlogs on the normal AUJ Blu-ray so it stands to reason the music one would be on this. I don't think we can read too much into it.

I like it! :) Sadly Smaug won't be with us for long though. He is I think a terrific creation and very well designed (apart from his 2 legged reconfiguration)

Sadly Smaug won't be with us for long though.

Well, you know, judging to Peter Jackson's sense of pacing we might still have an hour worth of footage. ;)

In any case, Smaug is one of the few elements of those films that doesn't disappoint.

Karol

I thought we saw that poster already? but in another language...

Also, nothing really important, but:

The-Hobbit-image-the-hobbit-36672880-373
The first (?) use of TABA under the logo.

It doesn't bother me much either. But he does look more impressive with 4 legs. Much larger and ancient-looking, if you understand what I mean.

Very sad.

Specially when the 4-legged design managed to get past the drawing board and appear in the Threatical edition of AUJ.

The design on the right is as i hoped he was going to be after the design change. Four legged with wings sprouting from the front legs. EDIT: nope its the same design but with wings flapping down.

In the end they opted by the crawly-batlike wings.

In the page you can read: PJ reacted well to the design but he felt it was too similar to what had been done before...

So he choose a design that resembles the dragon in Harry potter, Reign of fire, beowulf, and practically all recent films (heck even last years pacific rim...).

Are there any 4-legged dragons post-Dragonheart's draco from 1996 (not counting dragonheart II...) in important hollywood films??

I like the two legs. More unique looking than those concepts even if it's been done in those other films.

Because frankly I don't remember anything about the dragons in any of those movies. But I don't think Smaug is slipping my mind, ever.

THERE SHOULD HAVE BEEN 4 LEGS!

Honestly I have never liked 2 legged dragon designs in anything as it makes them look quite bird-like or resemble too much pterodactyls or pteranodons. The idea of a dragon walking with the help of his wings just doesn't appeal to me at all. So yes 4 legs would have been mighty. I loved Smaug's heavy gait in the Theatrical prologue of AUJ and was a bit disappointed by the redesign for DoS.

Honestly I have never liked 2 legged dragon designs in anything as it makes them look quite bird-like or resemble too much pterodactyls or pteranodons. The idea of a dragon walking with the help of his wings just doesn't appeal to me at all. So yes 4 legs would have been mighty. I loved Smaug's heavy gait in the Theatrical prologue of AUJ and was a bit disappointed by the redesign for DoS.

Yes, but wouldn't four leg movement look somewhat uninteresting?

Karol

Yes, but wouldn't four leg movement look somewhat uninteresting?

Karol

No less so than the bat-like gait he has now. Actually I think they could have done more interesting things with actual front legs I believe. Shame for the 2 legs as otherwise Smaug looks brilliant.

Michael's comparison with Vermithrax from Dragon Slayer is very interesting. It's movement seems very similar with wings working as its front limbs.

It's more, for me, that when he's doing stuff with his front hands, they have wings attached instead of just being arms. It looks stupid.

Yeah. Thinking back to it now, even if the 4 legs make him look more impressive, it would have been harder for Jackson to play with how Smaug navigated through those giant piles of gold.

The front legs in AUJ were stumpy and wouldn't have been useable as hands anyway, as far as I remember.

In the film as it stands I don't remember many moments where the number of legs would have made a difference. He doesn't stand upright in full view very often and I thought he looked great flying. Those drawings of him on all fours stood upright do look powerful though.

As it is, i think he cannot stand upright now.

It seems one either doesnt like or doesnt mind the design. I'm not saying 'like' because everyone who likes his final design would have liked a 4 legged version the same. I really cant imagine anyone complaining smaug had a traditional design...

The current design conflicts with Tolkien own handdrawn design totally. And thorin's map.

About the hands being too chubby in AUJ TE, well, all Trolls manage pretty well with they uber chubby CGI hands. And the Hulk, and pretty much every big CGI character out there...

I must be honest, i forgot the Dragon from Eragon. that was a recent traditional dragon design in recent years. Except that it had feathers because another genius wanted to make it different.

I'm not saying 'like' because everyone who likes his final design would have liked a 4 legged version the same. I really cant imagine anyone complaining smaug had a traditional design...

The current design conflicts with Tolkien own handdrawn design totally. And thorin's map.

Yea thank you, that is how I feel. I get that it's nice to mix things up, and having the front legs be melded to the wings is "cool" and different and not traditional, and "more interesting". HOWEVER, this is Smaug we're talking about. In the 5th of a 6-film series. A film series based on a 50+ year old book franchise, where Smaug has always been drawn with front legs separate from the wings, including within these movies already (on Thorin's map). It was a bad call to alter the design between movies.

A more classical dragon design would be totally fitting here, for this dragon, in this movie. Go hog wild with dragon designs on some other movie!

Well looking at the dragon designs in the fantasy art they usually follow the classic 4 legs and wings or the 2 legs and wings model. PJ just chose the latter, which is of course a bit against Tolkien's own depiction but it isn't the first time the film makers have opted to eschew Tolkien's vision in these films. I agree that Smaug should have been a prototypical dragon as you say Jason, with 4 legs and wings but sadly PJ must have had some kind of "2 legs and wings makes for a cooler silhouette and look creepier when he is crawling around" epiphany along the way and changed the promising 4 leg design. It is really difficult to say whether those legs of the first 4-leg design would have worked in DoS as there wasn't a chance to see them in action (the brief appearance in TE of AUJ doesn't really give you anything but a quick peek) but I think it would have made Smaug more interesting. And there certainly isn't anything revolutionary in the version with 2 legs and wings we see in DoS.

But all this is crying over spilled milk. As Smaug now stands (or flies) the design is very good if not quite perfect.