Those ponies weren't animatronic. They were all CG (to my annoyance).

Unless you're referring to the scene where Leggy and Tauriel are having their special moment.

They built an animatronic towards the end of shooting LOTR didn't they? I watched something about it recently (unless I'm confusing it with the Hobbit). They created animatronic bodies for the eagles in AUJ, which we programmed to move but were all green screen. I imagine it would be similar with the horses.

Animatronics were designed for close-up shots of the actors in LotR, for the sake of proportionality (hobbit size) and practicality (not all the actors could ride). For instance, for the scene where Faramir was leading his troops back to atttack Osgiliath, David Wenham's horse was being rather rebellious, so they adjusted and had him riding some kind of animatronic thing that wouldn't get caught on camera while the rest of the army were riding real horses. By and large, real horses were used.

In AUJ, there were a couple of CG pony scenes. In DoS, I can't recall many, if any scenes with the characters riding real ponies.

Legolas horse in Laketown is CGI, awful at that.

The worst shot of all 5 films so far, and one of the worst CG shot I've seen in many years. A fucking disgrace. PJ should just have put a "Legolas chases Bolg" card to replace that shot.

I am so happy I can't remember that CGI horse but now that you have mentioned it I have to go back and look at it again through a microscope. I am sure I will be truculent afterwards.

I don't know. It's bad sure, but Merry riding off with the Rohirrirm from Edoras looks astonishingly shit.

That's more of a bad shot in general though rather than bad CGI.

I only know that when I watched ROTK recently I thought 'that looks bloody awful' during that brief scene. I wasn't as bothered by the Legolas horse bit, probably because it was a reverse shot, and probably because I have bigger gripes with the film.

I wasn't actually, but that looks bad as well.

A lot of the scaling with Merry is off. I'm thinking also about that 'off to the smithee with you' bit with Eowyn (or whatever the hell she says).

A lot of the scaling with Merry is off. I'm thinking also about that 'off to the smithee with you' bit with Eowyn (or whatever the hell she says).

"To the smithy, go"...

"To the smithy, go"...

Close enough...

The Merry scene looks fine and a lot better than the Legolas scene. And what a great scene that was (can't help but again point out all the extras used in the background. If that was filmed today, all the Rohirrim and their horses would be CGI).

The Bolg vs. Legolas fight looks pretty bad by the way. They really should have made Bolg a prosthetics character.

It would be awfully nice if the main antagonists (barring the Eye of Sauron) could be played by actors rather than men in green gimp suits on a sound stage somewhere across the backlot from the actual sets.

I just rewatched the Forest River chase and the plastic look of the whole sequence bursting with CGI was more obvious than ever to me. It just looks horribly fake, Bolg included.

Bolg was a Prosthetic character, at one point...!

What's you're problem with CGI? If you couldn't tell the difference between real and digital Rohirrim, would you still be bothered by the digital ones? I'm sure in TABA there will be many army extras, there haven't really been many opportunities for them thus far in the trilogy.

If CGI is used well, I have no problem at all. Gravity is just about 100% CGI, and I like it very much (because it does it well).

If I couldn't tell the difference between the real and the digital, I probably wouldn't be so bothered (there were CG men mixed in the charge of the rohirrim, but it looks good in the big picture), but unfortunately more often than not, it's glaringly obvious, especially with PJ's latest films. This is likely due to how rushed so many of their CG shots are.

My point is, why rely on green screen if you're going to leave the big shots to last minute, when you can plan your films ahead, film in ways that are less replaceable, leaving less room for error because you can't afford to screw up? Conrad Pope brought up a good point about how these big films are being made with these bad habits in one of his DoS interviews.

The Hobbit films could have used prosthetics (though I understand there were scenes in which that just didn't work, which is fine), real ponies/horses, real sets, etc, etc...you get my point.

I have a feeling the final battle will be most CG armies.

Another annoying thing is processing real footage to the point that it looks like CGI. Take the Moria flashback in AUJ for instance. Everything was filmed in the studio, the scene was lit artificially and ultimately looks pretty bad and fake (despite using a bunch of extras).

Anyways, grumble grumble grumble, you get my point :P

No, no, no my boy! Grumble is good. Although it doesn't change anything, it's good. ;)

I've had to do a lot of grumbling while you disappeared! It's a lot of work. Don't do it again! :stick:

I have done my best but I got my internet connection back only today. Looks like I have a lot of grumbling to do!

The horse in the wide shot in DOS does not look very good at all, but the close up with Legolas actually looks surprisingly real (especially since the shot isn't used for too long).

it does not...

The ponies in AUJ, wear a fur prosthethics to make horses look like ponies. They are used in the wide shots too, (except when when the ponies are not CGI like in the troll scenes.)

If you think about it, you could make five films covering the Battle Of Five Armies, each one giving us the point of view of one faction. That would be super interesting to know specifically the motivations of each soldier in every army: why did they join (is it for glory? To protect their family? Is it just for fun?), who they will leave behind if they die, what they think of the other armies, etc...

A 5 part mockumentary type of affair then? Ricky Gervais could play Bolg.

And Azog. And Thranduil. And Dain. And Bard. We'll just CG the shit out of him in post-haste.

Sounds like a plan. Manu Bennett can play Ricky Gervais' warg.

The master of mocap can also play all the Orcs, Elves, Dwarves, Humans, giant bats and eagles in the battle as well.

but saruman is not anatomically accurate!

His legs are a bit dodgy.

Otherwise, can't tell the difference between this and the real thing.

Karol

I looked at your heart and I found out what the problem was. A serious case of heartburn!

Mola_Ram.jpg