Wow! The title of the third film has indeed changed, but not to "Into The Fire". Here's Peter Jackson on his official Facebook page:

Inside Information...

Our journey to make The Hobbit Trilogy has been in some ways like Bilbo's own, with hidden paths revealing their secrets to us as we've gone along. “There and Back Again” felt like the right name for the second of a two film telling of the quest to reclaim Erebor, when Bilbo’s arrival there, and departure, were both contained within the second film. But with three movies, it suddenly felt misplaced—after all, Bilbo has already arrived “there” in the "Desolation of Smaug".

When we did the premiere trip late last year, I had a quiet conversation with the studio about the idea of revisiting the title. We decided to keep an open mind until a cut of the film was ready to look at. We reached that point last week, and after viewing the movie, we all agreed there is now one title that feels completely appropriate.

And so: "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" it is.

As Professor Tolkien intended, “There and Back Again” encompasses Bilbo’s entire adventure, so don’t be surprised if you see it used on a future box-set of all three movies.

Before then however, we have a film to finish, and much to share with you. It’s been a nice quiet time for us—Jabez and I happily editing away in a dark cave in Wellington—but those halcyon days are quickly coming to an end. It will soon be time to step into the light. Expect to see and hear much about The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies in the coming months.

And there’s also The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Cut, which we’re in the process of finishing, with over 25 mins of new scenes, all scored with original music composed by Howard Shore.

It’ll be a fun year!

https://www.facebook.com/PeterJacksonNZ/posts/10152332243996558

BOFA makes only a little slight bit more sense then TABA, I mean, we have Smaug's end, and the Battle of Dol Guldur as well, right?

I can see why they went with the new title, especially having gone to three films. I have no problem with it. And I expect Warner think it will work better for marketing purposes.

We were in little doubt before, but this certainly confirms that the battle will take up a lot of time in film 3.

What was wrong with TABA? That Bilbo has "already gotten there"? That's a dumb issue to have with it. There could be no better title for the film spiritually. Who cares if it makes sense literally or not? Now it'll just be a seemingly generic actiony title.

He reviewed the first cut with the studio, and since 2.5 hours of the 3-hour film is dedicated to the Battle of the Five Armies, it only seemed right to name it that.

Wow. Terrible title, especially for the final film of the trilogy. I would have taken Into the Fire instead. As TGP said, TABA really suits the spirit of these books.

It's become clear now that these Hobbit films have become little more than big action movies set in a fantasy world.

Wow. Terrible title, especially for the final film of the trilogy. I would have taken Into the Fire instead. As TGP said, TABA really suits the spirit of these books.

It's become clear now that these Hobbit films have become little more than big action movies set in a fantasy world.

You'd honestly prefer 'Into the Fire' to 'Battle of the Five Armies'? I'd have hated the former to have been the new title.

I don't know, they're both terrible titles. But Battle of the Five Armies just doesn't sound like a "concluding" film to a big franchise.

This is how they should have named them

The Hobbit: There

The Hobbit: And

The Hobbit: Back Again

In all fairness, he didn't come up with the LotR titles either :P

He didn't?

I know that he wanted The War of the Ring for the title of ROTK.

He reviewed the first cut with the studio, and since 2.5 hours of the 3-hour film is dedicated to the Battle of the Five Armies, it only seemed right to name it that.

Not to mention the build up to the battle.

Which does make me wish the title was atleast "The Gathering of the Clouds"

Me too. TBOTFA, BOTFA, TBOFA, BOFA, TBOT5A, BOT5A, TBO5A, or BO5A are all too complicated to type out. TABA was easy to type, just like AUJ and DOS.

Bah!

TBOFA ... Spoken out loud, it sounds somewhat like Boom-tzzz.

Thus I will name this movie The Hobbit Boom-tzzzz!

I don't see what the problem was with "There and Back Again". It's a direct reference to the text and has a closer connotation to Bilbo himself, who is the character these are apparently supposed to be about. This new title makes me think that the sidelining of Bible as the main character will continue in part three. It also strikes me as another example of poor planning and indecision on Jackson's part.

It also strikes me as another example of poor planning and indecision on Jackson's part.

Indeed. Unfortunately, there is much to be found in all this Hobbit business that can fall under that long list of examples.

Wait until you see Dain riding a battle boar! That will be the boar that is going to break the warg's back!

The Hobbit: CBA

Just seen the Smaug with four legs design. Not as good as the winged two-legged design they eventually went with.

But really I wish they'd reveal del Toro's "radical" Smaug. I remember reading or watching a video about it years ago while he was still on board to direct. Jackson was clearly uncomfortable with the direction del Toro was going with the dragon, even then. He actually seemed worried about it, but didn't want to step on toes.

I bet it would have been much more memorable than the Smaug we now have, for good or ill!

This new title makes me think that the sidelining of Bible as the main character will continue in part three.

Well I for one certainly hope that is the case! The last thing we need in these films is an abundance of religious zeal.

DoS actually already has a veiled Biblical reference, uttered by Azog.

I thought There and back again was a long and unweildy title, and I think the same about the new one.

But the new one has the words Battle and Armies in them, so they will draw more of an audience.

I'm fine with the change.

It'll probably turn off a lot of older women, though. My mother says she likes The LotR movies, but never did finish RotK, because "it's just hours of fighting."

This new title makes me think that the sidelining of Bible as the main character will continue in part three.

If Jacko is true to the books, Bilbo will be sitting around invisible during the battle, then knocked uncoscious until the denouement of the movie. Not Bilbo's all-star performance.