Never Venture East was in the live event, not the appendices...

I think that "beautiful" traveling shot from AUJ would have come right before the abandoned farmhouse.

I was actually going to suggest on TORN that we should all work together to compile a master list of missing scenes and seemingly abandoned concepts, based on the appendices, photos, interviews, books, trailers, etc. With links and citations! BB appears to have got the ball rolling in fine fashion. We should just do it on here instead.

The funeral is also shortened. We know from interviews with the cast that Gandalf was supposed to give a speech and that the Dwarves sang a dirge.

Also in the AUJ commentary PJ says we would see how the Witchking got his Morgul Blade back.

It would be interesting perhaps to have a special section reserved for apparent missing footage on the basis of the OST's (so 'Radagast the Brown', or 'Bard, Man of Laketown' for example). BB you're obviously the expert on this one.

That's because most of the stuff PJ cut out seems to be so much better than the new footage he replaced it with! He really lost his mind halfway through making this thing...

Croc said it better than I ever could:

I like filmmaking and everything revolving around that. I like it more than actual films. So watching films closely is what I like to do, even those I don't like. I need to know why they don't work. That's how my brain works. Watchmen [replace with The Hobbit] is a good study because it's both fascinating and frustrating -- it's both good and bad filmmaking.

Plus, there's the Tolkien connection and Shore's music, of course!

:thumbup:

For people who do not like these films that much, we do end up spending inordinate amount of time obsessing over them. ;)

I genuinely enjoy these films. They're nowhere near the level of LotR but meh, I enjoyed them and I have fond memories of both the build up and initial viewings. I'm nostalgic for these films already. :P

It's very rare I obsess over deleted material, but I make a special case for these Middle-earth films. I'll take as much as I can get, whether it be deleted scenes or re-integrated in a future edition. And really I'd have no problem with the latter, because at least, unlike in the case of Star Wars, the previous versions are also readily available on DVD and Blu-ray.

I genuinely enjoy these films. They're nowhere near the level of LotR but meh, I enjoyed them and I have fond memories of both the build up and initial viewings. I'm nostalgic for these films already. :P

Yes! Finally someone who understands!

It's very rare I obsess over deleted material, but I make a special case for these Middle-earth films. I'll take as much as I can get, whether it be deleted scenes or re-integrated in a future edition. And really I'd have no problem with the latter, because at least, unlike in the case of Star Wars, the previous versions are also readily available on DVD and Blu-ray.

I suspect there is the underlying wish of that chance of the unreleased footage somehow magically making these films better or erasing large faults. Which it probably wouldn't but it is nice to fantasize.

I suspect there is the underlying wish of that chance of the unreleased footage somehow magically making these films better or erasing large faults. Which it probably wouldn't but it is nice to fantasize.

I was referring to the LOTR films there as well. In the case of those, it would be a nice bonus (I'd love to see any more battle stuff across the films, the longer night camp parts from TTT, the Orcs pursuing the Fellowship into Lothlorien, any Epilogue material). In the case of The Hobbit, there is definitely an argument that more footage would make the films better. Obviously they couldn't erase certain faults (like the fates of Kili and Fili), but they would surely help in terms of giving some characters more screen time, lending more cohesion to certain arcs, providing greater resolution, etc. I mean, I'm sure we all agree that the three known major omitted parts of DoS - the proper introduction to Thranduil, the palantir, the journey through Dale - would be welcome additions, even without having seen these scenes fully.

I was referring to the LOTR films there as well. In the case of those, it would be a nice bonus (I'd love to see any more battle stuff across the films, the longer night camp parts from TTT, the Orcs pursuing the Fellowship into Lothlorien, any Epilogue material). In the case of The Hobbit, there is definitely an argument that more footage would make the films better. Obviously they couldn't erase certain faults (like the fates of Kili and Fili), but they would surely help in terms of giving some characters more screen time, lending more cohesion to certain arcs, providing greater resolution, etc. I mean, I'm sure we all agree that the three known major omitted parts of DoS - the proper introduction to Thranduil, the palantir, the journey through Dale - would be welcome additions, even without having seen these scenes fully.

Yeah they unfortunately chose to extend some wrong parts of these Hobbit films.

I think, with DoS, most of the major extensions were all very necessary - Beorn, Mirkwood, Thrain. The additions to Lake-town are fairly inconsequential but improve that segment as well I think. The problem was that it was essentially concentrated around those 4 areas. It would have been nice if they'd added about 5-10 more minutes and given us a bit more across the other parts of the film, like those scenes mentioned above (and yes, I am of course aware that the Palantir would be part of Thrain's sequences).

I still think the Thrain subplot is a bit redundant, sort of in the "nice to know" category but doesn't really add much to the overall structure of the films as the Rings of Power subplot is mostly ignored or played down. Shame that they couldn't work it out as a flashback because it had to be a sleuthing story for Gandalf to figure out. The additional material with Alfrid and the Master is almost entirely comedic waste of space though and the time could have been spent on fleshing out the dwarves or Bard more. In fact PJ could have gotten rid of Tauriel and spent all that time on the dwarves!

The testicle scene tested my patience. Pure PJ excess and personal wish fulfilment. And Alfrid should have drowned and burned when Lake-town was destroyed. He is entirely useless in the third film.

The testicle scene tested my patience. Pure PJ excess and personal wish fulfilment. And Alfrid should have drowned and burned when Lake-town was destroyed. He is entirely useless in the third film.

I still laugh at "Bollocks" but yeah... that could definitely go. Doesn't add anything to anything.

Your final sentence is complete on the ball.

Either murder Alfrid early, or, after hailing Bard, a soaked Master appears behind him. Cue lots of grovelling and a mildly amusing double act, all the while plotting Bard's downfall and eventually getting their comeuppance.

I would rather they both died early, but if they had to have a comedic element, I think both together would have worked far better.

And those two aren't even the biggest problem of the film series character-wise. Certain elves cause a lot of trouble for these films.

Nah, they're far worse than Leggy and Towlie.

Legolas and Tauriel have no business being in these movies! It is downright blasphemy! It became a Legolas movie series thanks to the hapless invitation for Bloom to return for a "cameo", which is one of the worst things about the whole movie trilogy. The Hobbit has no Legolas, the Hobbit needs no Legolas.

I dont mind Legolas from a logical point of view

I dont mind Tauriel from a probably necessary point of view

I mind the resulting web of romance that spawned from it

I dont mind Legolas from a logical point of view

I dont mind Tauriel from a probably necessary point of view

I mind the resulting web of romance that spawned from it

They should all have been removed from the film narrative! They only bred myriad evils upon these films!

As long as Leggy would have been a brief cameo everything would have been fine. If Tauriel would have been just one elf among many with some lines in the Woodland Realm and in the battle of five armies that would have been fine. But they botched them pretty badly.

They would never have done that. You'd have sadists complaining that he doesn't do much.

Furthermore, would Bloom get out of bed for such a background role? I think those initial rumours of a mere cameo were bullshit in all honesty.

If they had Legolas as Thranduil's second-in-command, as Gamling was to Theoden in LotR, that'd have been perfect. But no...

This!

Yup!