Otherwise, my vote goes to getting Anthony Minghella who is quite adept at adapting novels into films and his composer of choise Gabriel Yared would provide an outstanding musical score for The Hobbit.  Very lush I can imagine,

'Quite adept at adpating novels'? I've only seen three of his films (haven't seen the first or the most recent), and only one of them was a very good film adaptation, The Talented Mr. Ripley. Cold Mountain got a certain feel right, but was uninvolving and climaxed early (actually, I think it climaxed in the first sequence, the crater sequence). Don't get me started on The English Patient.

While he certainly hasn't proven to be bad at adaptation, I do not think he has proven himself to be particularly notable. I'm very sorry to say something like this, but if Mr. Minghella were to retire from directing today, I doubt anyone would remember him in a few years time. The only reason I'd want him to do The Hobbit (which he is otherwise wrong for), is for the Yared score.

Otherwise, my vote goes to getting Anthony Minghella who is quite adept at adapting novels into films and his composer of choise Gabriel Yared would provide an outstanding musical score for The Hobbit.  Very lush I can imagine,

'Quite adept at adpating novels'? I've only seen three of his films...Don't get me started on The English Patient.

What's wrong with The English Patient other than the fact that it's incredibly boring and...oh...right...nevermind.

Dole- Who thinks a Minghella version of "The Hobbit" would run about 9 hours and consist of lenghty soliloquies about the types of plants in Middle Earth (in other words..too faithful to the book!).

You never know, PJ and the suits could still come to an agreement. Or maybe they find someone who can direct and has a good vision like PJ did and he or she manages to pull it off.

too bad Jackson didn't use Jackson as smeagal, they wouldn't have had to use any makeup, and the general creepiness and freak factor of MJ would add so much to the film,

'Quite adept at adpating novels'? I've only seen three of his films...Don't get me started on The English Patient.

What's wrong with The English Patient other than the fact that it's incredibly boring and...oh...right...nevermind.

Dole- Who thinks a Minghella version of "The Hobbit" would run about 9 hours and consist of lenghty soliloquies about the types of plants in Middle Earth (in other words..too faithful to the book!).

Yeah, but I could certainly live with a 9 hour Yared masterpiece. Seriously, this guy has got more range than anyone knows. While I really like Shore, I do think, musically, Yared is better at writing melodically stronger pieces with much more involving harmonic movement. In fact, aside from Williams, I don't think there's anyone else right now that I like more for beautiful chord progressions in their music.

Where is Mr Breathmask?He hasn't posted yesterday and threads are locked without comments at unusual times,do we have a new moderator?

K.M.sensing a disturbance in the force

Where is Mr Breathmask?He hasn't posted yesterday and threads are locked  without comments at unusual times,do we have a new moderator?

K.M.sensing a disturbance in the force

yeah he's locked several threads for no reason, instead of letting them run there course. serious mismangement of his moderator authority. He's obviously gone over to the DARK SIDE.

So... how 'bout that Hobbit movie, huh?

hey you know threads tend to wander at Jwfan, relax, sometimes moderating is knowing when not to do anything, its something hopefully you'll learn SOON.

HOLD THE PHONE

As Lord of the Rings fans mounted a protest following word that New Line had dropped Peter Jackson from consideration as director of The Hobbit and another Lord of the Rings prequel, producer Saul Zaentz has given assurances that Jackson will indeed direct the two films. A German website, Elbenwald.de, posted an interview with Zaentz, who acquired the rights to the works of the late Rings writer, J.R.R. Tolkien, in 1976 (the Saul Zaentz Company owns Tolkien Enterprises), in which Zaentz says, "It will definitely be shot by Peter Jackson. ... Next year The Hobbit rights will fall back to my company. I suppose that Peter will wait because he knows that he will make the best deal with us. And he is fed up with the studios: to get his profit share on the Rings trilogy he had to sue New Line. With us, in contrast, he knows that he will be paid fairly and artistically supported without reservation." (The preceding quotation is a translation that appeared on TheHobbit-Movie.com from the German interview posted on Elbenwald.de.)

There you go. The Tolkien estate (Zaentz, whoever's name's on the paperwork) controlls all the rights for The Hobbit, and they can easily say "screw you, New Line" and deal straight with Jackson, who I'm sure wouldn't have any trouble getting another studio on board.

Dude, is this for real? That's great news! Man, that's a relief. So hopefully we'll be getting Howard Shore, Ian McKellen, Hugo Weaving...Ian Holm? I assume he would be back as Bilbo. This'll be a treat!

I expect Bilbo will be recast. Otherwise, Holm will need to have his faceskin duct taped to the back of his head for the entire production...

Makeup worked well for the FOTR prologue. Though of course, some years have passed since, and Holm would have to do much more "active" scenes than in LOTR. So I also fear he'll be recast - though I can't think of anyone more perfect for the role.

It worked well for the prologue, yes, but it was only one shot. I doubt Holm would go through that process for the entire movie. Because when I say they duct taped face skin to the back of his head, I'm not kidding...

I never really got this. To me Bilbo doesn't look any younger in the prologue, nor should he. You of all people should know that Marian.

Apart from how old he looks casting Holm will also be a question of if he is willing to spend several months on location in New Zealand.

I never really got this. To me Bilbo doesn't look any younger in the prologue, nor should he. You of all people should know that Marian.

He does look younger in the prologue, and it could be argued that he didn't start using the Ring regularly immediately, so the effect didn't start right away.

According to Comingsoon.net, Sam Raimi has been offered the film.

I wonder if that mean we'll se a heroic bard leaning against the American flag that has been raised on the Lonely Mountain.

Peter Jackson is a better director than Lucas, so the trilogy is in safer hands.

Rabbit--who doesn't think that the OT has been ruined by the PT

Peter Jackson is a more competent director and story/dialogue writer than GL, plus he surrounds himself with people who know what the hell they are doing.

Is there anyone here besides me who actually likes the Star Wars prequels? Granted, they're not what they could and should have been. But overall I like'em, especially Revenge of the Sith. Not to mention they gave us three more Williams' scores. But this is coming from an obsessed fanboy trying to remain true to his fandom AND be rational at the same time so as not to get run out of town by a torch and pitchfork wielding mob.

And yes, I loved ewoks growing up and I still like the little buggers. (Shut up.)

Oh there are those who love them and I think you hit the nail on the head. They could have been so much better had GL payed attention to the first two films, hire a competent director and actually develope an intersting story with intersting characters.