FOTR is my least favourite of the bunch... It's so uneven, and the Nazgul choir gets on my nerves after the 40th reprise.

Are you basing that on the film or the OST?

The OST is very uneven in that respect. The bree/journey to Rivendell sequence gets too much time on the OST, with the more varied Caradhras and 'watcher' sequences left off.

I haven't seen the film for a while, but I don't remember it ever getting on my nerves.

I saw Tintin in 2D last night and we didn't get the Hobbit trailer!! :(

All we got was The Lorax, Madagascar 3, Red Tails, Titanic 3D, and the new Studio Ghibli adaptation of The Borrowers which has some other name instead for some reason...

But its not a remake of a film, its a fresh adaptation of the book series that is called "The Borrowers"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Borrowers

For some reason the film is called The Secret World of Arriety, which will just be hard for kids to remember I'd think

Warning for those of you who are waiting to see Tintin to watch this trailer: The Hobbit Trailer not showing with 3D Tintin!

But thats not right, it is! I watched it on IMAX 3D today, and I also have friends who watched on only 3D tonight. The trailer is definitely attached to the film :P

Do you live in the US? If not, that may be the reason why it was attached to Tintin 3D nonetheless.

Nice musical analysis of the trailer, here, KK. The Finnish boy has some competition, now! By the way, where the fuck is he?

Ahh...that makes sense! I live up in Toronto, Canada (the country with the igloos, guys with funny hats, and blubber nuggets...or at least thats what they tell me... :P).

As for competition in terms of musical analysis, I wouldn't be so sure about that...But I'm willing to challenge Incanus or anyone else here to fight to the death for the title of "most obsessed LOTR fan" (the most extensive knowledge of the texts, films and music is required along with the obligated craziness!). ;)

This trailer is very well assembled. I like the source music.

Hopefully you liked the original music too :P

Me too. Why in the name of fuck did I think this sounded like generic trailer music? I think I'm a dickhead for saying this!

Well put! I nearly choked when I read your previous post. You have no idea about the crazy reprimands I had prepared to torture you for this. But considering everyone here has already taken their fair share of scolding and the fact that you redeemed yourself (and saw the light!), I decided to let ya go.

- KK

As for competition in terms of musical analysis, I wouldn't be so sure about that...But I'm willing to challenge Incanus or anyone else here to fight to the death for the title of "most obsessed LOTR fan" (the most extensive knowledge of the texts, films and music is required along with the obligated craziness!). ;)

Actually, to be called "most obsessed LOTR fan", you need to be able to speak Quenya, Sindarin and Khuzdûl, along with a bit of Black Speech. And only the Dutchman knows that one.

You'd be surprised... :)

I'm pretty fluent with my quenya and sindarin. I must confess however that I am terrible with Khuzdul although the little I know of Black Speech is actually quite good :P One of my favourite things to do is to start randomly chanting the Prophecy to some of my friends...sometimes I can really scare them with it (although most often they just roll their eyes!).

Talking about Incanus... I'm worried about him. Where the fuck is he? We need to hear his comments on the trailer. I hope he didn't think: "This is Christmas. I should spend time with my family, not with some weirdos on the net" or some shit like that.

God forbid, that would be the most horrid thing to do. I mean family over creepy folk on the web? Next, you'll tell be telling me that Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross are NOT better composers than John Williams...the thought of it all...ridiculous. :D

Me too. Why in the name of fuck did I think this sounded like generic trailer music? I think I'm a dickhead for saying this!

Well put! I nearly choked when I read your previous post. You have no idea about the crazy reprimands I had prepared to torture you for this. But considering everyone here has already taken their fair share of scolding and the fact that you redeemed yourself (and saw the light!), I decided to let ya go.

How kind of you! From now on, I shall call you "KK The Merciful"

I really like the ring of that...maybe it'll catch on :P

Had people not heard the Gondor theme before the RotK trailer in FotR as well as in TTT, I think some would have said the same thing.

Not sure about that. I didn't notice the Gondor theme until TTT Extended Edition, which was released after ROTK trailer, yet I didn't thought it sounded like generic trailer music back then. The trailer version does sound different from the final version in the film, though, and I'm sure, as you already said, that it will be the same with the Company of the Dwarves theme.

I believe what he meant was how the the descending string figures with the ritardando conclusion was something that has often pertained to trailers and their music. You wouldn't imagine that kind of format on film, so in that sense, Shore did manipulate the theme to follow a trailer structure. The trailer music for both RotK and the Hobbit remain awesome nonetheless!

So says,

KK the Merciful!

I didn't notice the Gondor theme until TTT Extended Edition,

:fouetaa:

For me it was instantly noticeable in FOTR. One of the best themes of the noughties, if you ask me. The harmonic ambivalence makes it even better. Both Fellowship and Rohan themes are nice, but lack that extra layer. And that's fine, for they serve a much different purpose: to fuel and motivate our heroes. Whereas Gondor theme tells a story of a broken kingdom desperately trying to rebuild itself. To achieve that kind of depth, and yet make it this memorable, is a huge feat on composer's behalf.

Karol

Finally saw the trailer for The Hobbit on the big screen. The 3D shows were the only ones that had it, and the trailer was in 3D. The thing is, while the visuals were appreciably cleaner and crisper -- the stereo dimensions were barely there (save for the titles and a few scattered shots).

But then again, Warner Brothers probably rushed it out and didn't have time to properly process the 3D footage.

The trailer turned out exactly as I expected it to. No real surprises, and this is coming from someone who hasn't read the book. I saw the cartoon movie when I was a kid.

Although I had to keep trying not to think of The Office every time I saw Bilbo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIPqIJ80Ex0

(dialogue removed by me, of course. i combined both the non-dialogue removed version and the dialogue removed version)

(Eat that, Faleel!)

I don't understand why people enjoy listening to the music through finger-nails on chalkboard digital artifacts, over just the listening to the music through the natural sounds. Am I the only one who feels that way with regards to dialogue removed music?

Just watched the trailer again. Absolutely wonderful. Love the music. If that is the new big theme then we are in for a treat.

Freeman looks spot on, the Dwarrow look fine and McKellen...well...

I wonder, what will be the cliffhanger for the first film.

Love the music. If that is the new big theme then we are in for a treat.

Indeed. That is clearly a fully developed piece of music. It's no simple motif, but a full bodied melody with a beginning, middle and end. Like The Force Theme.

That was awesome! Hobbiton looks absolutely incredible. I want to go to there!

So cool that they built it out of permanent materials this time so it can stay open for tourism. Brilliant.

Looks like we got a taste of PJ's cameo briefly as well

As far as the trailer is concerned, saw it on the big screen.

I love the last few seconds of the trailer, with Gandalf's words.

I like the music.

I like seeing Gandalf and the Shire again.

I don't like the dwarves. (the bumbling idiots, and why waste time introducing every single one, why do half look like Humans and half like Gimli?)

I don't like Oakenshield (looks like he's about to make pretty boy Fantasy parody appearance on GQ)

I don't like the amateur demo reel editing of the trailer.

I don't like the lack of sense of mystery.

I don't like the use of RED cameras...it looks too clean and crisp, doesn't lend itself to the expected the look and feel of the world. Worst decision ever.

I don't like the slapstick.

I don't like WETA's green screen retardation. They just can't seem to get it right. Problem in every movie they've done.

I don't like the overall look and feel of the trailer.

Overall, I'd say I'd give the new Chronicles of Narnia film a chance. It's unfair to judge all of the new Narnia movie from just this one trailer alone.

Wait a second...What's that? Oh excuse me gentlemen. I'm being informed this is the trailer to The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, directed by Peter Jackson.

Oh! I couldn't tell! Looked and felt like Narnia to me!

I don't like the lack of sense of mystery.

:eh:

This is what we call a sense of mystery, or rather a mysterious atmosphere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS0WmvOvtIM

There's even howling wind and creaky doors dammit!

This Hobbit trailer is for a Narnia movie.

Not that i agree with you, but the Narnia trailer was actually brilliant. The movie itself wasn't.

There's nothing to suggest the same will happen with The Hobbit. Not when we've got Jackson, McKellen and Shore.

I still have hope for the movie. I'm not worried about it per se, even though I find a lot of the choices questionable.

For example, using 48FPS RED cameras that make the film look as pristine as a car commercial. The WTF dwarf make up. The WTF Oakenshield make up. Etc. Etc. But I'm hoping these are just my having grown old, bitter, and weary since 11 years ago.

No.

The trailer for the Hobbit is more athmospheric and doesn't reveal the story, only in very vague terms. You spend the whole trailer wondering what they're up to. The dialogue is very carefully chosen for this (Gandalf's last line, what Thorin says to Gandalf). Plus instead of the typical trailer fantasy plot montage with big music you just get the dwarves singing and shots of Thrain's map mixed up with Gandalf on some ruins of something. To someone who doesn't know what this is all about, Gandalf's last line, the shot of the ring, and the shot of Gollum must be very intriguing.

The trailer says "Bilbo Baggins is going on an adventure and to find out what it is you'll have to see the film".

To me, the trailer for The Hobbit is cooler than the trailer for The Fellowship of the Ring.

How old are you? 17? 18?

Looking at the selection of hooks in this one...I think that the demographic this trailer targets, 14-20. Get 'em with a good epic song, and they'll miss all the details as dopamine is released through their bloodstream.

After which they will sing the praises, and defend it with:

Plus instead of the typical trailer fantasy plot montage with big music you just get the dwarves singing and shots of Thrain's map mixed up with Gandalf on some ruins of something. To someone who doesn't know what this is all about, Gandalf's last line, the shot of the ring, and the shot of Gollum must be very intriguing.

Yes! Very different from the typical fantasy plot montage!

;)

To me, the trailer for The Hobbit is cooler than the trailer for The Fellowship of the Ring.

Agreed. The Hobbit trailer does a better job of conveying a sense of fantasy as well. As for the comedic aspects, people have got to keep in mind that this is a children's book we're talking about, so you'll definitely have comedic moments in the film. Initially I was worried about the dwarves, but watching this trailer, I think Jackson has cracked down to the right balance. My only issues with the dwarves is the Thorin, the height of some of them and the dude with the axe on his head :P

I also believe the trailer does indeed portray mystery and intrigue. The dark shots of Gandalf thinking and smoking, the mysterious dwarf chanting and the shots of Gandalf at work in Dol Guldur were very effective in drawing the audience in.

As for the clean shots. I'm really looking forward to the 48 fps film. But I think you've got to give them a chance with the Rivendell shots and everything. I think WB rushed out the trailer, and they have an entire year to fix up the visuals, so really its too early to complain about that. I'm sure WETA will be adjusting the "too pristine" shots.

This was a trailer that was very well conceived. Jackson never reveals anything major, and for those of us who are very familiar with the book, he adds other out of context shots to keep us intrigued (ex. Galadriel and Gandalf). And the shot of the ring and Gollum is a brilliant throwback to the LOTR trilogy. I recall the audience clamouring in excitement (some even cheering) when Gollum came on screen at the end of the trailer while watching this on the big screen. This is definitely a better trailer than the FOTR one (the FOTR teaser that Blumenkohl put up is good, but the trilogy has definitely had its fair share of bad trailers...).

I could not be more excited! What a way to lead into the holidays!

Merry Christmas!

- KK

(dialogue removed by me, of course. i combined both the non-dialogue removed version and the dialogue removed version)

(Eat that, Faleel!)

I don't understand why people enjoy listening to the music through finger-nails on chalkboard digital artifacts, over just the listening to the music through the natural sounds. Am I the only one who feels that way with regards to dialogue removed music?

No, you're not. I hate that.

I wonder, what will be the cliffhanger for the first film.

Most people seem convinced it will happen when the dwarves are captured by the Elves, others say it will happen when the dwarves escape from the Elves.

I personally believe it will take place when the dwarves are attacked by the spiders. Mark my words and see you in a year!

I don't know at which point it will take place, but I do know that it will not happen just when immediate action is about to begin, and that rules out the attack of the spiders and the capturing by the Elves.

It will happen when an immediate danger is overcome and the fellowship is about to continue the journey. That feels right, epic, and lyrical. And it satisfies the audience.

They have seen a self-contained action finale, and still have something to look forward to.

Just smacking a "to be continued" on the screen when the spiders attack, that has such a television feel to it, and I doubt the audience would appreciate that.

That would be like cutting off FotR when the Uruk-Hai are about to attack. It's just not done.

My guess is that it will indeed be after the escape from Mirkwood.

EDIT: By the way, I didn't notice it when I saw the trailer, but is anyone else more than surprised that it did not use the iconic line "In a hole in the ground ..." ?

I guess the plot can't be anything other than unbalanced. The Lonely Mountain part has to be in the second movie, leaving most of the journey stuff for the first. They might counter that with the White Council stuff perhaps.

The split you imagine still sounds off. It would start the second movie with just Bilbo sans Dwarves for two entire chapters. Judging from LOTR, Jackson likes to start his sequels with flashbacks, returning to the main plot at a point where characters have been journeying or doing stuff that has to take some time, but doesn't contain anything worth showing. As far as I remember, Bilbo is roaming the Elven king's halls for several weeks before breaking out the Dwarves, so Bilbo sneaking around the palace might be a good place to start. Beats me how to end the first part in that case, though.

Alternatively, PJ *could* slightly modify the plot so that Bilbo, following the Elves who captured the Dwarves, doesn't get through the main gate right away, ending the first movie like TTT the book ends: Bilbo's companions captured and him shut out.